Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Fuzzy Scans on e-bay

Did you ever notice that some coins on e-bay have really bad scans? Is this done so you can't see the coin? I think they would be better off without a scan and offer a no questions asked return policy.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    I have noticed the same thing Tony, I think there are two different reasons for it myself. Reason 1. People just do not know how to scan a coin, and do not take the time to practice or clean up the scan due to time and or knowledge.

<< <i>I think they would be better off without a scan and offer a no questions asked return policy. Tony >>

This goes to reason 2. Ever notice how many with the bad scans say "no returns on slabbed coins"... These people I think no they have a duckling, take a scan where the duck don't look so bad, and hope people will buy the slab and not the coin. I stay away from them myself. I used to send emails to a few asking for a better pic, but after some of the replies I got ranging from "buy it or don't", "what you see is all I have" to "PCGS says its an MS-66 what more do you need?" I quite and just pass these by....
    Errr, thats I don't buy!
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    How about his key date 1934-D Washington Quarter. This coin must have been offered 5 times already and the price never changed. You would think that for $2000 you could at least see a decent pic.

1934D PCGS MS65
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I went digging into PCGS Forum History. This is the oldest thread I could find where I started the thread. What a hoot! Has anyone else ever done a search to see some of their old stuff?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I went digging into PCGS Forum History. This is the oldest thread I could find where I started the thread. What a hoot! Has anyone else ever done a search to see some of their old stuff? >>

yup. all kinds of archive searching.

one need have their settings set properly to see deep into the past.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -