Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two sides to a story about recovered stolen coins

krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
True story, some of you may have read about it already. I removed the names.

Side 1:
The victim had some coins stolen from his car in 1989. A police report was filed but heard nothing over the next 13 years. A dealer had seen the coins the day before the theft. A lady walks into the dealer's shop recently to sell some coins that she "had had for about 14 years." The dealer remembers the theft from 13 years prior and strongly suspects the coins were the ones stolen. Not mentioning his suspicions, the dealer buys the coins and calls the victim. The victim had photos and went to the dealer's shop. The coins were still in the victim's holders and were positively identified as the stolen coins. The victim offered the dealer more than the dealer paid the lady, but the dealer would only accept what he paid for the coins.

The dealer knew the coins were worth considerably more than he offered but he was trying to give her a fair price while keeping the victim in mind in case they were his coins. The victim praises the dealer for his honesty and ethical handling of the situation.

Side 2:
The behavior of the dealer who bought the coins was extremely unethical, if not illegal. Shouldn't the dealer have notified the police? It's illegal to traffic in stolen property. Is it honest and ethical to pay a seller considerably less than what the coins were worth? We don't know if the lady was ignorant of the value of the coins or whether she accepted a lowball price because they were hot. Why didn't the victim notify the police so the thief could possibly be caught? Couldn't that have possibly prevented other thefts?

I'm not taking sides, but interested in the opinions of the board.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I would think it necessary to notify the police. While it may be quicker for the owner to recover his coins by buying them back than by waiting for the case to make its way through the courts, the thief still profited from the crime and got away. I'd rather notify the police and solve the crime than the leave an open case and benefit the criminal. Perhaps the thief took other property, and by letting the criminal get away the other victims were never able to recover their property.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this full story (dealing with some great and rare Hobo Nickels, I believe) and I like what the Dealer did. He took a chance and got the coins back for the Collector (and somewhat well known Numismatic author). Good for him.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call, I would lean toward #2, but not to the extent that the dealer was extremely unethical. I think he was thoughtful in his actions and therefore not a bad person. I would have wanted to get the police involved incase the criminal could be caught. However this may also have backfired. The person with the coins may have known nothing of the theft and the real owner may or may not have ever received their coins back.

Tough situation any way you look at it. Need Solomon to sort it out.
  • Options
    The dealer did not know they were the actual stolen coins so therefore did nothing wrong. There is a difference from knowing and suspecting. However since he did suspect it he should have at least attained the information from the lady and later called Braddick when he found out they were in fact the stolen coins. I would like to know if the victim had an insurance payment on the coins and was later able to buy them back at below market value.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    In light of a current situation in which I'm involved, and seeing the non-existent desire of the police department to be interested in actually solving the case, I support the dealer 100%.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    It seems to me, similar scenarios to this one take place almost every day in pawn shops. How do they handle it? Doesn't the dealer have an obligation to make sure the property isn't stolen before buying it (if possible.) Just wondering as I have never pawned anything.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    doesn't a statute of limitations come into play here?
  • Options
    Isn't there a statute of limitations on such crimes? If so, the capture of the perpetrator might have resulted in minimum punishment for trafficking in stolen goods rather than the theft itself. Also, the lady in question was not likely to be the thief, and if she was the thief, she was not a very efficient one. Most thieves are driven to their crimes by desperate need for cash, and to wait 13 years for the payoff would seem somewhat moronic. More likely, the lady bought the coins shortly after the robbery and just sat on them as most collectors would (not knowing they were stolen of course). In this case it seems that the expedient thing may also have been the right thing to do. I still would have taken the lady's information for additional investigation if that was eventually deemed necessary.

PS-There are a whole different set of laws pertaining to pawn shops that do not apply to coin dealers. Pawn shops are required to keep detailed records of everything purchased, and if they buy stolen goods, the police can confiscate the property and the pawn shop is out the money. That is why pawn shops offer such low prices when they buy goods.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stolen property never converts ownership.
    -Just ask the U.S. Government regarding the 1933 Saint! image

peacockcoins

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I think the police should have been contacted. The collector whose coins were stolen had every right to ID them as his, and get back legal possession without paying the dealer a cent. That would of course be in poor taste, but they were his/her coins that he/she paid for again.

Of course if the coins were insured and the collector was paid for them, the insurance company owns the stolen coins, and could re-coup them from the collector if he/she has not re-paid the claim.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I think the dealer deserves a big round of applause! Like the police would even care, like the court would even prosecute it and like the thiefs would even be punished IF convicted.
    The ethical ? is whether or not the victim has been paid by an insurance company and even if he was it probably wasn't for the full value anyway but that is no concern of the coin dealer. The dealer did right.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    IMO after 13 or 14 years, if they weren't in a grading services holders with identifyable certification numbers, even with the photos, I think he would have had a hard time proving that they were stolen. Does he have a police report from back then? If so then it might be different.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I hate to be cynical... but I will be :-) Was this lady ever questioned? Did the dealer get any of her information? The Police should question her...

-or-

Could it have been the dealer? He held onto those coins, in a back room somewhere and decided to make some money by selling back to who he stole them from....

-or-

Perhaps the Butler was in on this?

Just my 2 Wheat Pennies...
    -Dave
  • Options
    ...of course...
    If everything was on the up and up... The dealer did the right thing by contacting the customer. I don't think the customer was obligated to pay as he reported them stolen and could have just called the police to report the dealer was in possession of his stolen coins. It was nice to see the customer gave the dealer a "reward"... although the "Reward" was money out of the dealers pocket.

If I was the dealer and I thought this *could* be the stolen coins, I would have attempted to get "indentification" from the lady, tell her it was standard practice....

-or- he could have asked the lady if he could review them for a day, give her a recipe and tell her he would call her tomorrow.... then contact the customer and find out if these were his stolen coins. No money out of his pocket and the customer could have claimed them.

Where is this article? I'd like to read it!

-David
  • Options
    Technically the victim would not have to pay the dealer and could have the dealer put in jail for receiving stolen goods. I have actually retrieved tools from a pawn shop after i recognized them on the shelf. The pawn shop owner gave them over quickly when the police came in with me. The pawn shop owner turned over the records showing where he bought the items. it was a former employee of mine. I also bought stolen property that i recognized belonged to a customer of mine and i knew the bad guys wouldnt hang around long enough for the police to get there. I paid 40.00 for a 600.00 item. The box had the address of my customer. i called him and he came and retrieved it. i only took the 40.00. That was a much easier way to get the stolen item back where it belonged. OH YEAH, almost forgot i was on tv about 6 weeks back for returning stolen art work said to be worth 6000.00. I bought the paintings from a street bum for 10.00. 2 weeks later the local news reported a bunch of paintings stolen from a church. I called the station and they did a big hero story showing me giving back the paintings. I didnt get my 10.00 back though.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The story was in the August 20th edition of Numismatic News and also in the September issue of The Numismatist in the letters column, with both stories written by the victim, well-known numismatic author Bill Fivaz.

The "side 2" viewpoint was from a reader's letter in this week's (Sept. 10 issue) NN.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Ok, I read the articles too as well as the whining letters in the coin rags about how the dealer ripped the little old poor lady of her hard earned booty after she waited 13 long years to cash them in.
    The dealer did the absolute right thing in getting them as cheap as possible and then informing the owner and returning them to him for what he had paid.
    Who knows what information has been given the police in this matter. Nothing has been reported about that aspect of it, and in all likelihood, that dealer had valuable information to give to the police and would have. There is probably an investigation going on right now.
    If any of you think coin dealers will always pay(what you think is) a fair price for what they buy, you're crazy. They stay in business by buying low and selling high. They won't pay any more than they have to.
    Just a little while ago the 1866 Proof no motto quarter and half dollar were recovered that had been stolen at gunpoint in the DuPont robbery.
    The California coin dealers that bought them paid around $150 each for them. Of course they claimed they didn't know they were worth very much, but it just goes to show that dealers don't pay any more than they have to. These weren't little flaky vest pocket dealers neither, they were major big time dealers.

Quarter and Half info

Ray

Edited for bilkingnut's benefit; These were Hobo nickles. Each one is unique.
  • Options
    There are two legal concepts at work here to make "justice" and the later cancels out the first.

Since a thief never has clear title, anyone else in the chain of ownership cannot obtain clear title. The woman could have reclaimed the coins through a legal action called replevin and not had to pay the dealer at all.

HOWEVER in order to protect innocent buyers, legislatures have enacted time limits, known as statutes of limitations, on which claims can be made. At some point commerce has to be able to continue. This works to the thief’s advantage as well, because after this time limit (usually 3-5 years) it is as if no crime had ever been committed. Crime does pay.

The dealer was under no obligation to notify the police or the victim. Since the time limit had passed, they were his coins to do with as he pleased. The dealer was under no obligation to return the coins to the woman. His defense to any replevin action is the statute of limitations.

The fact that he chose to offer them to the victim at all, let alone at his cost, was a moral decision not a legal requirement. If the victim decides to pay money now for the coins she had stolen from her 14 years ago, that is her choice. But the dealer is the legal owner.

Calling the police would not have done any good, because now it as if there was no crime committed 14 years ago. Everybody moved on with their lives.

Even though the statute of limitations seems to benefit the theif the idea is to protect future innocents. Say that the original owner of the store sold it 10 years ago. Last week the thief comes into the store and the new owner buys the coins and puts them on display. The victim comes in and sees them and says "Hey those are mine, give them back" should he? (The answer is No).
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I have the coins that were stolen from you. Sorry about your loss I will now sell them back to you.
    If the collector wanted to replace the coins he could have bought replacements from anywhere.

I would not be happy buying back something that I had already paid for once. I would have told the dealer to keep them.

The dealers story seems fishy too me. Everytime I have sold coins to a dealer they give me a check and take my name address and phone number. If I am selling over $1000 dollars worth of stuff they ask for my SS number for tax records.
  • Options
    I agree with Braddick's views on this subject. I read both of the articles in NN and am glad to know that Mr. Fivaz reclaimed his coins. I think that the articles mentioned that he had pics of the coins that showed the certification numbers of the coins as proof of ownership. I wondered about the insurance question, since it was not mentioned in either article.
    It seemed to me, when I read the second article today, that the author may have had a sour feeling for either the dealer or mister Fivaz, or both...could be wrong? JMO

Gary
    Gary
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I think the dealer did the honorable thing. He took a big chance by buying them and wanted nothing in return except his money back. The victim could have come in with the police and demanded the coins back and the dealer would have been out what he paid. At least the collector has his coins back. The worst thing about this is the thief got away with the act.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Hey Relayer - everyone isn't a lawyer and I doubt the dealer knew half of what you are taliking about; I suppose he could also have a legal background though. In any event, all that you mention would require a legal decision; law doesn't appear to ever be that black and white. Additionally, if you are a lawyer (I think you indicated that you are), wouldn't it behoove you to verify that what you are stating as fact is applicable in the state(s) where the crimes took place?

Placid - these were allegedly "original Hobo Nickels" and obviously aren't as easily replaced as some other series of coins/exonumia, whatever that are categorized as.

To whoever - supposedly the items were still in the sealed packaging with Bill's handwriting on them. Proof of ownership would not have been so difficult. If I remember correctly, the lady who sold them wasn't the original owner; they were left to her allegedly.

I think the most significant part of this is that the dealer who bought them, is/was a friend of Bill's, remembered the theft and this was primarily his state of mind when approached in the initial transaction; that is of course according to him and Bill. I wasn't there. According to Bill's article, payment was to reimburse the dealer for his expenditures; seems the gentlemanly thing to do.

Statute of limitations or not, if he hasn't, I would still contact the authorities and let them determine what is/isn't appropriate.

Edited to add: Here in PA, I think (as I said I am no lawyer) pawn shop, coin shop, jeweler not matter. If you are in the business of buying items from the public, certain information is required to be gathered to preclude, to preclude the wholesale transfer and profit from stolen property. If you want to stay in a reputable business that is.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Could it have been the dealer? He held onto those coins, in a back room somewhere and decided to make some money by selling back to who he stole them from....

Although I am not familiar with the original story dakra makes an interesting observation. Seems tough to remember coins after 14 years.

I think the dealer did the right thing, I guess, but should have gotten the sellers ID in the process of the sale.

matt

edit for opinion
    "the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Could it have been the dealer? .... Come on now. I think even Bill Fivaz would slap you upside the head for even suggesting it. This is a friend of his. Sheesh, I hate to be a so-called friend of yours trying to return something. Things may be somewhat like that in your circle of friends, but I highly doubt it is applicable in this case.

Sorry if I sound asinine, but I read the articles, and I just can't even fathom the conclusions some of you are drawing. I'll shut up on this issue now. image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Gilbert,

The real story aside, it could have been the dealer.

"the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Hey Relayer - everyone isn't a lawyer and I doubt the dealer knew half of what you are taliking about; I suppose he could also have a legal background though. In any event, all that you mention would require a legal decision; law doesn't appear to ever be that black and white. Additionally, if you are a lawyer (I think you indicated that you are), wouldn't it behoove you to verify that what you are stating as fact is applicable in the state(s) where the crimes took place?

Any businessman operating a store that buys items from the public should be aware of the laws the relate to their business. Pawn shops for the most part are regulated and require the seller to provide ID. They are fully aware that if they buy stolen property, it can be taken from them without compensation. Which is exactly why they want to know who they bought it from.

The concept of replevin and the statute of limitations is common in all 50 states, though the time period changes based on the laws enacted by each states legislatures.

Say my grandfather had an 1920 $20 gold piece stolen 80 years ago. It was since spent many times then a collector takes it out of circulation and it changes owners many times since. Do you think he has a legal right it today if he saw it? What if you inheritted it from your grandfather who bought it in good faith 50 years ago, can I come take your coin today?

The concept that at some point stolen property becomes marketable is only meant to protect buyers, not the theives. So for the greater good, sometimes the theives get to win. We have to let the OJ's go free sometimes in order to prevent the innocent from going to jail.

I'm not a lawyer (but I play one on TV) and know a lot of different things, except how to grade coins.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I think Gilbert could be onto something here. How conveeeeeenient that the stolen coins should show up at a shop ran by the SAME person who had viewed the coins only the day prior to them being stolen! It sounds like an incredible coincidence.

Another theory (not accusations, just a theory).. dealer "A" shows dealer "B" some very cool coins. Dealer "B" then arranges for those coins to be stolen, and holds onto them for years. Dealer "B" then calls up Dealer "A" and claims that he has retrieved the stolen coins and, for just a small pittance of what they're really worth, Dealer "A" can get his coins back. image
    Matt
  • Options
    What would someone do that for, you guys that doubt the story? What's the motive?
    To cheat an insurance company? Come on, if that were the case would they put it in national coin collecting magazines that they were retrieved so the insurance company could come back and either claim them or get their money back.
    Come up with a reason or don't slam Bill Fivaz. He's a good and decent person and has done and is doing a lot for the hobby.
    I absoultly believe him. I also completely believe the dealer was being totally honest. If he had anything to do with the theft, he'd have had 13 years to dispose of them. Coins shows are lively places and most purchases are with cash. He could have sold them 1 or 2 at a time over the years and got fair market value for them.

Ray
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Is it honest and ethical to pay a seller considerably less than what the coins were worth?"

Am I the only one who laughed after reading this question?

On another note, is there anyone who is familiar with the rules for pawn shops in Florida? I seem to recall a 60 Minutes story on the subject. They indicated that if a pawn shop purchased an item from an individual who provided identification and a signature, then the title to the item legally passed to the pawn shop. Needless to say, a lot of locals were very upset that the only way to retrieve their stolen property was to buy it back from the pawn shop.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Any businessman operating a store that buys items from the public should be aware of the laws the relate to their business. Pawn shops for the most part are regulated and require the seller to provide ID. They are fully aware that if they buy stolen property, it can be taken from them without compensation. Which is exactly why they want to know who they bought it from. >>

<< <i>On another note, is there anyone who is familiar with the rules for pawn shops in Florida? I seem to recall a 60 Minutes story on the subject. They indicated that if a pawn shop purchased an item from an individual who provided identification and a signature, then the title to the item legally passed to the pawn shop. Needless to say, a lot of locals were very upset that the only way to retrieve their stolen property was to buy it back from the pawn shop. >>

Steve is quite correct and here's the govenring Florida Statute subsection...

F.S. 539.001

<< <i>2. While a hold order is in effect, the pawnbroker must upon request release the property subject to the hold order to the custody of the appropriate law enforcement official for use in a criminal investigation. The release of the property to the custody of the appropriate law enforcement official is not considered a waiver or release of the pawnbroker's property rights or interest in the property. Upon completion of the criminal proceeding, the property must be returned to the pawnbroker unless the court orders other disposition. When such other disposition is ordered, the court shall additionally order the conveying customer to pay restitution to the pawnbroker in the amount received by the conveying customer for the property together with reasonable attorney's fees and costs. >>

• Options
    If the insurance company paid off the claim by the victim, doesn't the ownership of the coins now reside with the insurance company and not the victim? Isn't the victim being compensated twice?

TRUTH
  • Options

<< <i>If the insurance company paid off the claim by the victim, doesn't the ownership of the coins now reside with the insurance company and not the victim? Isn't the victim being compensated twice? >>

Yep! However, under certain circumstances an insurance company may give a 'quit claim' to the insured/claimant if the insurer believes that the recovered chattel has no residual value. Doesn't come up much but it does happen.
  • Options
    Is there really a statute of limitations on stolen articles causing the original owner to lose ownership? The article below would seem to indicate there is not.

FBI Website - Stolen Paintings

ritchie
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file