Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

To make Fairlaneman happy...

about no merc posts, I just picked up a 31-D merc that I added to my set today and I'm waiting for a 30-P that I ordered online yesterday to get here. The 31-D is a 64FB and 30-P is a 63FB. Yeah I know they aren't that high of a grade, none of mine really are, but I'm still proud of them non the less. S.A.Chacon collection.

Comments

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool !!

Now we are cooking. Nothing wrong with those additions IMO. Those Dates are not exactly the Easiest to find. image The Low Grade (MS63) coins as they are referred to Are Not Lowly IMO. Most are very Good Looking Coins and Much more affordable in the Early dates.image

Ken
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes the high grade are over rated, as long as you enjoy them they are gems.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercury1,

I agree with the guys above. Nice coins. Never apologize for the grade of a coin you liked well enough to buy.

Jon
  • Nice Additions! They are difficult to find...same for me, took a while to find mine.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you've got the FB, the "lower" mint state grades are just as nice. When you say "full bands", I hear "full strike," which makes for a nice coin in almost any grade IMHO. I object to all those 66's and 67's out there that don't have full bands. To me those are NOT 66 or 67, and shouldn't get higher than a 65, even if the rest of the attributes are perfect. I'll take a 63FB or 64FB anyday.
    Doug
  • Amen. The problem with the strike designations is that it lets the graders off the hook. Strike is one of the four elements of a grade. A coin with a weak strike should never be graded higher than 65. But, with the FB designation we have all those regular 66 and 67 graded with poor strikes. That shouldn't be. Get rid of all the strike qualifiers and make the graders consider strike with the other grading attributes to come up with a final judgement, just like they have to do in almost every other series. The strike designation is why I gave up collecting Franklins, why I collect proof Mercs instead of mint state, and why I will never collect more than a couple of Jeffs or SLQs.

BTW the way, I see I still have the number one cs setimage, even through PCGS still lists me as 37image.
    Highest average grade, and more complete then the only competitor, Gleipner. In your heart you know I'm right (who said that?).

Greg
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I strongly disagree. I think FB is overated. I would rather have a beautiful 66 without bands than a so-so 63 with bands. Besides no bands does not always mean poor strike. To me the hair detail on the obv is more important. I have a 27-D in 65 that has 90% bands. If it had the other 10% it would have cost me $7000 more and wouldn't look any better.

JMHO, Jon
    I go along with Jon on the Strike. Nothing is worse than buying a FB dime that is Extremely Mushy in the Hair area. I check the obverse first and then if the coin has FB's thats a Plus. I will say that I believe all of the 67's should have FB's but will go along with 66 coins not having FB.

Of course within the series some exceptions to the above apply most notably the 1925 dimes from all three mints. Strong hair detail is very hard to obtain while FB's are almost the norm. Maybe for the 1925 dates instead of having FB on the Slab it should have FH for Fully struck examples. Full Band dimes in some years are way over rated where Full Hair dimes are way under rated. IMHO as always.

One other opinion. If the Graders ever figure out the Different Striking Characteristics between Different dates then we will really have something. I suppose this pertains to other Coin series also which spanned the Classic vs Modern era's.

For my money I will take a Nicely Struck MS63 Early Date vs a Weakly struck MS66/67 Later Date, by the way which most are because of loss of detail from the original design, any day of the week.

Ken
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the old saying, buy the coin not the holder.
    I want the FB if possiable, because the strike is most likly better than a dime with out FB's. I have some MS63FB that look as nice as most MS65 dimes.

I would like to see some of the Mercury dime sets in person. Maybe in Balitmore or if PCGS wants to maybe at the 2004 ANA convention in Pittsburghimage
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Pat:

Come to Portland, in 2004 I think it is, for the ANA Money Show and I will be More than Glad to Dig the Little Ladies out and show them to You. Thats a Open Invitation to All of the Merc Folks. Maybe I could convince a couple of other Merc Collectors that I know of in Oregon to show up also. image You Travel I'll Show. What a Deal ??

Thats Portland, Or-E-gone not Portland, Maine.

Ken
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we are essentially saying the same thing. I equated "FB" with "Full strike" and said that I would rather have a 63 with a full strike than a 66 with a weak strike. FB is bull hockey, since FB is a result of a full strike and should be properly accounted for in the grade. IMHO, 67 and better without full bands shouldn't exist.

It is a marketing ploy to grade a Merc higher than it should grade so that people will pay MORE for it.
    Doug
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    It is an interesting debate and given my No Bands collection you all know where I stand on this issue. For me, you have to examine the entire coin and the bands are but one small portion. I don't have the $$$ to fight over the FB coins, so going the NB route allows me to have some really nice Mercs for reasonable $$$.

One interesting exception to the pricing is the 16-P in 67 that is currently on sale for $895 after having been on sale for $750 on another dealers site. It is a pop one coin in NB, but if you look at the prices realized for FB 67s for that year you have to wonder if B&M will ever sell it at this price.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Fairlaneman - The only way to make a guy like you happy would be to give you a bag of 10,000 unsearched , assorted mint state winged liberty dimes. Then add a company paid two week holiday for you to paw thru your hoard. Now be honest, wouldnt that bring a smile to your scowling face. Bear image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
    Bear:

Early Dates ? Now that would make Me Happy and would be Scowlless ForEver !!image Two Weeks though is sort of Puny, a Month or Two would be Much Better. Not that I do not like Work or anything like that. image Thirty Eight Years is enough its about Time too Play Some. image Cars, Coins and Small Mouth Bass would work just fine.

Spelling Edit..image
  • As long as Ken Would send everyone a few of the duplicates
    such as 27-d and s then all the merc collectors would be
    very happy,but we have to add large mouth bass,not
    very many small mouth bass where I liveimage
    Timimage
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Tap - I dont know nothing about big mouth bass, other then I think its just possible , we may have a few on the Forum , from time to time. I would send Fairlaneman some Tuna Fish, but I just cant seem to get the can open with my teeth. Life can be hard when your just a little bear. Regards Bear image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage