Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thinking about a type set

I'm a 18 year old kid with not alot of income, and i want to put together a type set. I was thinking about putting together a set from half cents to dollars in F+ with holes --- seems cheap enough.

ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD BE GREATimage

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Bag the holes. Go to a lower grade, and get an attractive for the grade problem free coin.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I already have a type set with approx. 60-65 coins in it and just can't afford any of the early stuff so i;m thinking about starting another one with a diffrent theme behind it.
  • Options
    what is in ur other type set? u can find some really cheap fines in any type exept for the really early stuff (flowing hair, half disme and a couple others) it works for me and im only 14
  • Options
  • Options
    I need a few of the half cents, pre 1796 large cents and most of the pre-bust coins
  • Options
    im focusing on silver right now dont do much with copper because its hard to find it without it be corroded or black. i need to save up for a flowing hair half dime it will surely take a large hunk out of my savings.
  • Options
    "u can find some really cheap fines in any type exept for the really early stuff "
    where do you find it????
  • Options
    i know a few coin shops that only have 1700-1800's and u can get some nice stuff pretty cheap there all the bust coins are cheap but the flowing hair is very expensive. and ebay.
  • Options
    Where are you from??

If you have a minute you should scroll to the bottom of the screen and add yourself to the member listing so me, or other people don't have to ask you questions like this they could look at the list and see.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have a very promising beginning to your type set if you already have 60 or so pieces. Since I don't know what pieces they are or what grades they are I would suggest that you make the cutoff era of your type set at the Draped Bust/Capped Bust point. In this way you avoid the more costly, earlier Draped Bust material and you can concentrate on obtaining original, attractive coins from slightly later on. Many, many people use this cutoff for their type sets and they are still challenging, rewarding and look great when care is put into them. Good luck.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Good luck with your type set. How about collecting some of the higher grade, but lower price pieces first. That way when you get older and have more money to spend you'll already have some really nice pieces filled in. My advice is don't rush through it. Take your time no matter how long it is and get "the best you can afford".
    The Fastest Game on Earth !!

"Lets go Red Wings"
  • Options
    I agree with TomB i wouldnt be buying any flowing hair but i inharitend (spelling?) a half disme and a couple flowing hair coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file