Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Real Nice 20c for sale on DLRC site

It's well above my price range, but very attractive.
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Yup, that looks like a real nice one. I've always had a fondness for odd denomination coins. I finally bought a 20 cent for my type set. I won't post an image until I get a camera and can capture the color of the toning properly.
  • Is it me or does it look dipped or lightly cleaned?

• ...and now lightly retoned...
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I think nicely re-toning after a many years ago dip would likely be accurate.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of the obverse fields appear to have significant luster breaks or a definite loss of the luster. While this is typical of 64 and lower coins graded TODAY, my opinion is that non proof-like MS 64 coins should have full
    flowing undisturbed luster in the fields. Chatter and scattered bag marks are acceptable. But when the luster is nearly invisible over large areas, that's not acceptable IMO on a 64 or higher coin. Luster comes first.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Roadrunner: Ahhh.... Hmm... Ahhh... So you agree it may have been cleaned some time ago? image

Yes, the coin appears to have been either dipped or lightly cleaned in the past. It is still an attractive piece probably worthy of a 64 grade. That does not mean it is a solid or high end piece for the grade? In my opinion it would not be solid for the grade (based on the luster showing in the scan before us). It could look a lot different in person however.

roadrunner
  • A lustrous PCGS MS64 1875S 20 cent piece was recently offered on ebay by kdhcoin. The S is 10x more common than the CC. It went to $1221. but never hit the reserve. It was in a new PCGS holder and had minimal toning.
    I saw another 75-cc in PCGS 64 bring $3335 at the Goldberg's June Long Beach sale. As I recall it was an ok piece bought by a major dealer (not the DLRC coin). And right after it a very average 75-s in PCGS 65 opened and closed to the "book" for $3450 (10% under greysheet).

roadrunner
  • I would prefer this piece, which sold for $2875 in April 2001, the one on DLRC's site just has no luster, as others have pointed out, plus the price is in line with a nice to choice piece, I just don't see it.

1875-CC PCGS MS64

• Here you go:
    Linky

OK, it's only an MS63, it was minted in San Francisco, and there are some quite visible hairlines. But the luster kinda jumps out at ya, don't it?
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy -- I wonder if the main difference between the DLRC piece and the Heritage piece is the image? I suspect they are quite similar quality.
    Higashiyama
  • Dave - The MS63 Ira Stein has for sale looks pretty decent. He rarely has a bad coin.

If anyone really wants to spend the big bucks for one of these babies Pinnacle has in inventory the common 1875S, but in a MS66 PCGS holder for $9,650. Personally I don't like its look for that kind of money. Could use a link.