Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Vargha what happened to your 1951 Bowman set!

Its not listed in the current finest section any more, did Branca buy you out?

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Intriguing development....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Well, I wasn't going to say anything until Tuesday, but now the cat is out of the bag. I am selling the entire set. I am breaking it up to maximize the money realized on it. I sold several 9's to John Branca and even went down to his law office in Century City to personally conduct the transaction. He seems like a nice enough guy. He indicated that he has a large enough lead on Charlie Merkel that he probably won't be shelling out the money as aggressively for the PSA 9's in the future. Charlie bought seven or eight PSA 9's from me and Marshall is mulling over what he is interested in. I spoke with Marshall on the phone Thursday night and he is one of the true gentlemen in the biz.

I am not selling out of necessity, but rather to do something as mundane as home improvements and hopefully to be able to pay cash for a new car for my wife as well. She has no idea, however. The chase was a fun one and I have met alot of great people doing this, even though I have only "met" many of you on the Internet and over the phone. I'm not begging out of collecting, as it seems that once the bug bites you, you've got an incurable "sickness". I hope to get my eight year old son more interested in collecting also.

I have contacted a half dozen or so people who have significant starts on their collections about filling needs. I am offering them on a "first come -- first served" basis. Don't shed any tears for me though. As that thread says, "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile". I have completed four really cool sets -- 1939 Play Ball, 1949 Bowman, 1949 Bowman PCL and the 1951 Bowman set. It's really a blast! Nonetheless, the market appears to be right for me now to make a decent profit and to get my wife some fineries that she most certainly deserves. If you or anyone else on the board have any interest in specific cards, feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be posting a complete price list on the Vintage Board on Tuesday. Then I will list them on eBay for retail sale by making the opening bid the BIN price.

I know it's pretty shocking, but as I said, shed no tears for me.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    As a guy who has disbanded more registry sets then he has completed, I understand your situation. The thrill of acquiring a card (or set) sometimes outweighs the finality of completion. Glad you had fun with the set and glad you can make some $ for your wife and family's needs. And I'm quite aware that you will be back grinding out a different set on a different day, you can't shake it out of your system - Good Luck!...jay
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't expect to hear that you were selling the whole set. I thought that maybe Branca made you an offer that you couldn't refuse for some of your PSA 9s and that you deleted your entire set so you wouldn't loss you ranking on the all-time finest list. I wish you the best of luck with your sales, and may you set stay near the top of the all-time finest list for a long time to come.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Best of luck Vargha.

I can appreciate the "pay cash for a car" philosophy. I have felt a shared sense of accomplishment with you through your posts. I am sure alot of other regulars on this board also feel this way. Your 51B set was my favorite set that isn't mine image

Brian
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Wow, I have to say I was really stunned to read this.

David - congrats on having achieved a phenomenal set and great luck in getting the most cash out of it so you can treat your family well.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    wow ...that set was so neat.

one of the first sets to hit the registry and one of the most closely watched sets.

i enjoyed the hunt even thought i never own one card from that set.

good luck Vargha
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I can't believe it Vargha, but I wish you the best on selling the set.

I do hope that you have your eyes on another set?
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    Wow, alot has been changing recently. The '72 Topps sets, then '69, now the famed '51 Bowmans. Best of luck on selling the set. Good luck.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Best of Luck David...it was fun watching you build your wonderful set card by card.

John
  • Options
    Congratulations on the completion of the set. A substantial accomplishment!

You'll be back....you're a card junkie just like the rest of us.

I have a feeling that you already have one or two cards of some set that is starting to grab your interest.

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    David:

All the best. It was absolutely wonderful to see one of the "little guys" put together such an amazing set after so much persistence. It was great for me to have actually added something that contributed to your set. You seem to be one of the true gentleman of the hobby -- and you have made a move that I am sure will please yourself, your wife, plus the collections of those whom you have helped. I do wish you all the best -- and I hope that you will continue to talk cards and perhaps find another set someday.

Take care-
    Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.