Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Information on NCS?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a 1889 seated half dollar that in PR62 in an NCG slab. To me it looks as though the half may have some nice cameo, but the field is a problem. I am wondering if NCS can clean it up for me. Any opinions? Attachments below for comments.

Also, any idea if they crack them or need them previously cracked prior to sending?

What do they charge for this service?

Comments

• Options
    nice coin, i think they crack them there or atleast they did with mine.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did it cost? Do they re-slab it too? How did you send it in?
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    LanLord,

Those are very nice clear pics! I believe that you can send your coins to NCS already holdered. Going by your pics, I would probably leave that coin alone IMO for the following reasons: If any of the color in the fields is lightened up or removed, it will make the blemishes in the fields look more pronounced and noticable, and may even reveal other problems on the coin such as hairlines. Also, that type of somewhat deep original toning found on many seated coins will not be easily removed and any attempt to do so will leave the underlying surfaces with a lifeless, washed out, dull grey looking appearance IMO. But if you're not happy with the way it looks now or really think it may look better with a little conservation, send it to NCS and see what they say.

Dragon

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Lanlord, if you are a member of the Collectors Society, you can email NCS and they will send you an application for an associate membership which you fill out. They will also send a submission form. Or you can call them. The number should be available at NCScoins.com. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your coin would be a wonderful canidate for curration.
    NCS would be the best judge of that though and the first step is to have them analysis you coin and determine if it would benefit from their services. I've heard they're pretty honest in their appraisals and assessments.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think your coin would be a wonderful canidate for curration. >>

Ditto. It is precisely the type of coin that they can vastly improve.

Lanlord,

You can send it in slabbed, they will crack it out only if they deem that it will benefit from their service. It's a two step process, 1% of FMV for evaluation then, if it makes it past that stage, 1 1/2% for conservation - $5 minimum on each.

You can either have them send it to NGC for grading, or back to you raw. If back to you raw, it will be in a 2x2 Intercept Shield holder. If you want it back raw, write in big letters on the invoice PLEASE RETURN RAW. They have a tendency to send it off to NGC sometimes, even if you don't specify that on the submission.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm in agreement with braddick and Russ. trust the experts to judge whether they can improve it. they offer a grade protection guarantee and you can have them give the coin to NGC for reslabbing if they determine it should be cracked and conserved.

al h.image
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I think you have to make sure the coin isn't all hairlined up before spending any money with NCS for a proof like that. Proofs don't usually get 62 grades, of lower, unless they have been mishandled at one time or another. I would bet your coin has hairlines under the toning. If there aren't many hairlines, and the surfaces appear to be muted from the toning, then the coin may benefit from a little "curation", if it livens the mirrors. Probably even bump a grade if that is accomplished. If you've got lots of hairlines underneath the toning, don't waste the money. No one, that I know of anyway, can fix that. If you do decide to send the coin in, send in the slab, and go with the grade protection. I'd let them walk that one right across the hall back to ngc if they think it will slab again, and have ngc do the slabbing. That's me though image I may have a coin that is with them right now slabbed by them. Yes, NCS is going to start slabbing coins. I had a raw Barber quarter that I sent in, that they "curated", but decided it wouldn't slab over at ngc once it was "cleaned up". I'm going to get more information on the slab details, and may do it.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file