Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Common coins you've NEVER seen!

What is the most common coin or coin type that you don't ever remember seeing in your life?
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    1804 Dollar?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just last week I located a GD04 1950-D nickel at the Carlsbad coin shop. It was overpriced at $3.50, but I bought it anyway. How could this coin have circulated that long when going all the way back to 1950, these were plucked from circulation?
    Common coin- in a grade I've never seen before (and 'yes', it's going into PCGS).

peacockcoins

• Options
    Don't know haven't seen it yet,lolimage.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Plato

....... bob**rgte**
  • Options
    Until this past week I'd never seen a Shield nickel. Worn to nearly nothing, lacking a date and not a hint of a rim it was mixed in with a bunch of Darkside coins. The obverse Photogrades POOR-1, the reverse FAIR-2. This is a TYPE 2 "NO RAYS".
  • Options
    nothing really but thats because im making a type set so i have to research them all.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After going to the national coin collection... I think I've seen them all image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently couldn't pass on an AG 1837 Reeded Edge half. The coin had perfect surfaces with no dents, digs,
    cuts or scratches. It wasn't cleaned either. Excellent bust detail but rims fairly worn. I nice whitish color like it had been carried in someone's pocket right up until 10 years ago. It looked a well worn Walker. I snapped it up for $19. Was thinking of Braddick when I bought it. These are always cleaned to death or deep and dark from years of toning. How did this one not meet that fate? image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I to was forced to buy a vg 1925 half something about holding a nice well worn coin in ur hand.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    A proof Buffalo.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    I can't honestly remember seeing any Bust silver dollars up close and personal. I've seen plenty of scans, but I have never had the money to shop for one, so I probably just skipped over them at the few shows I've been too!!!!image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently couldn't pass on an AG 1837 Reeded Edge half. The coin had perfect surfaces with no dents, digs, cuts or scratches. It wasn't cleaned either. Excellent bust detail but rims fairly worn. I nice whitish color like it had been carried in someone's pocket right up until 10 years ago. It looked a well worn Walker. I snapped it up for $19. Was thinking of Braddick when I bought it. These are always cleaned to death or deep and dark from years of toning. How did this one not meet that fate? image roadrunner >>

My "Worse Known" Registry has this exact coin in PCGS PO01.
    These are somewhat tough to find without damage.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Braddick,
    I have to admit.... I did the same thing. I paid $5 for a 1945 "P" Nickel that has been circulated. In fact they had many coins they were selling for $5 including some buffalo nickels but something drew me to the 1945 "P".

-Dave
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    An 1883 without cents Liberty nickel; so I bought one off eBay.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    In person, I have never seen a proof Buffalo, Merc, or Walker.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've seen every common coin type made since about 1800. But there
    is a common Washington I've never seen in unc. The 1977 type D reverse
    was made in significant numbers (75,000+) but is extremely elusive in unc.
    Like most modern varieties it does not appear in mint sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how you define common. I've been collecting for almost 40 years (wow!) and I have never seen a 1955 double die.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    A 1997-P nickel in my pocket change. In six years I've seen two. I've seen five 1997-D's. All other dates and mints back to 1964 have turned up in plentiful numbers but not the 97's.
  • Options
    I personally don't remember ever seeing a VDB Lincoln cent, Type 1 or Proof Buffalo, or Proof Franklin. But then, I haven't been looking for those coins.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i've never seen a sacagaweenie in VG condition.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Condor...you're dead on about the 1997-P nickel. I've been looking since mid-99 and haven't seen one either.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    never have gotten a g.d. in change - ever.
  • Options
    Any non-modern matte proof. Maybe they are not as common as I seem to think.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file