Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A PCGS GD04 dime at over twice retail?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been watching this PCGS GD04 1864 Dime but had to abandon all hope when the price is now close to FN12 money! Check the coin too- it really is JUST a GD04 (not higher- in fact, it has some AG03 characteristics).

I guess I'm now not alone in the quest for some of these. . . imagehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1375960761

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Interesting -- as the grade increases on this piece, the price comes down relative to others in the series, but pretty steep in lower grades. Bet you've got someone working on a dime set looking to grab that one.
    Keith ™

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hey Braddick,
    You started a trend for the worst registry set!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    These scarce date seated coins are wwwaaaayyyy underpriced on the sheets. The demand is amazing in the lower collector grades for 'em. Your example is a bit extreme, but those better dates sell for hefty premiums, usually.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited cuz I didn't notice the third picture

Just a word of caution to anyone interested in this coin. The 1864 and 1864s had nearly identical date placement and there are many 1864s dimes with mm removed out there. Be careful on something of this nature even in this condition.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The greysheet and other price guides have many inconsistencies when trying to price all seated dates by grade. There are dozens of underpriced and overpriced coins. 1854-0 quarter or 1856-0 half dime in MS65?
    Go try and find nice 65's for those prices. They're at least 30-50% off. How about an 1851-0 half in MS63?
    Why is this scarcer date singled out as more common than the other early "O" mints when it is probably just as tough or tougher than most of he pre-1853 dates?? And I bought a nice semi-P/Lone of these earlier this year from Legend in NGC 63+ at 66% over greysheet. Folly? I don't think so. Should be worth nearly twice what CDN says.

The low mintage Philly dates of the 1860's are all much rarer in circ grades than UNC or Proof. There is an issue of price compression on these in that any circ piece in the VG-VF range. The opportunity to buy any lower grade circ is unusual. I don't think you could buy one for under $300. I also don't believe in the grading theory that a coin without a full rim is no better than good. That's they way they were struck. If it has a full
    Liberty then I call it fine. It might be worth 10% less but still a "FINE." I'm a buyer of all better date partial or full Liberty seated dimes and half dimes that don't have full rims. Of course I only want to pay the "good"
    price for these. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file