Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinion on Ebay Dealer??

Name is FAIRTRADERZ. Anybody know them?,comments?,looks like s/h/i charge is excessive to me???
Larry

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    they have some nice stuff but I rarely see any of it meet reserve
  • Options
    Bought a couple of Franklins from them, the coins were fine it was the shipping that was the problem. They use to not list the shipping charges in the auction so for the first auction I emailed the seller for the shipping charges and he replied with a charge of $3.50 for an $80 coin. That sounded reasonable too me.

The second auction that ended a couple of days later, I didn't ask the seller how much the shipping charges would be since he charged me a resonable amount the first time, I assumed he wasn't going to jack me on the shipping charges. Boy was I wrong, I won the auction for a $110 coin he charged me $8.50 for shipping and insurance. I refused to send him the extra money for the shipping charges, I already sent a PayPal payment of $110 + $3.50 for shipping. He held the coin for ransom until I sent him the money.

Too bad for Mr Fairtraderz though, at the time my brother asked me to assemble a collection of MS FBL Franklins for him. I completed the set for him, minus the 53 FBL. It was a lot of fun to spend someone elses money. It was even better knowing it wasn't going to Unfairtraderz. I guess excessive shipping charges is worth a couple thousand dollars in sales. Please note: These transactions occured prior to the recent USPS rate increase.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Charges too much for shipping, but that's because they only ship boxed priority mail. I've purchased a couple of times from him. Items were good, and shipping was just about the fastest I've gotten from any eBay seller.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    The item that I am looking at is a Buy It Now for $155.00 and ths s/h/i charge is $15.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck --I believe you could send at least 2 packages for this maye 3??? Like the item,but s/h/i just turns me off.image
    Larry
  • Options
    express mail wouldn't even be that much!!!!! and it comes with 500.00 worth of insurance, doesn't it?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    goose3,

Express now only comes with $100 insurance.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    so,
    express mail with 200.00 insurance would be about 13.00?

those guys must be stoned or is that should be stoned
  • Options
    Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    I sent them an email asking if their s/h/i was an error on this item.image
    Larry
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairtraderz has put up good-looking Franklins, but with really high reserves.

I've bid recently at what I thought were reasonable levels on some of his, and didn't even hit the reserve. I did not even get the usual email after, revealing the reserve and wanting to negotiate, that sellers do who are trying to duck fees. So I can't really figure out the point of his putting them up there. Makes me presume he's just trying for retail, and that there are no bargains there.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've picked up 20 or 30 coins from these guys over the years. Have yet to return a coin. I like them a lot.

They have nice pics, and decent assortment of stuff. I try to pick up 2 or 3 items, and then negotiate on the shipping charges (which are high).

Overall, A1, especially compared to the other major sellers on eBay...

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    I bought some NGC and PCGS empty slab boxes from them. I called before I bid to see what the total shipping charges would be. At the time they asked me not to pay electronically, because of the high fees, but said that based on my feedback rating and previous purchases from them they would ship that day if I would put a check in the mail. A week went by and no boxes arrived, so I called them. It turns out they were holding my check to see if it cleared before shipping. When I reminded them of our conversation, the guy said his boss wouldn't let him "keep his word". He said he tried to contact me (DUH!!!!) but I guess he couldn't figure out that my email address was on the "end of auction" notification from eBay or taht my phone number was o the check. That was the last time I have done business with them, and don't see any signs of that changing anytime in the near future.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought four PCGS certified errors. Real nice errors and real dramatic. I got each one for less than the cost of slabbing them. imageimage Now, I never see any of there errors start out low with no reserve. So, needless to say, I hve not bought from them in a while. But, they do have real nice stuff.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I've only bought from them (John) at shows so I can't comment on the shipping issue. However, knowing John it would seem if the issue was discussed with him he'd be reasonable about it. I'm my opinion he's first class.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    The shipping cost issue was recently muddied by our US Postal Service and their rate hikes of July 1, 2002. For ebay auctions I also ship strictly via Priority Mail because all packaging supplies are obtainable free of charge from the USPS. That way actual shipping charges can be quoted based on zip codes and insurance rates are also cut and dry. So to alleviate the whining from those that don't like handling charges, using Priority Mail wraps everything into one neat package cost wise, and you can accurately quote your customers true costs when shipping. It also gets ebay wins to customers much quicker and neater than 1st class mail hassles. The true costs of shipping via USPS have increased due to the July 1st hike, now distance and zip code dictate shipping costs, so an ebay customer of mine in Maine will pay much more in shipping from Calif. than an ebay customer in Arizona. So bottom line is, Fairtraderz may appear as though he has "jacked up" his shipping rates, when in fact Uncle Sam did so, and Fairtraderz in adjusting to the changes.
    Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought some nice coins from him with no problem.
    Larry

• Options
    i just bought this, close a few minutes ago. 1881-CC. The BIN was $500 so it was worth waiting.
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Schuch's a good guy...nice coins...free candy...always in a good mood.

Mike Byersbyersnc.com
    mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good guy----well lets hope that I get a response saying the $15.50 s/h/i on a $155 item is an error.If so I'll buy. image
    Larry
  • Options
    This is the item.

CLICK HERE
    Larry
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I recently bought something from them. 1953S Washington. Reasonably priced but $7.50 for shipping. I inquired and was told that it was priority mail shipping and that I should have my coin in 3 days. I said I was willing to wait the extra time for regular post and that I didnt want to give my money to USPS. I was told that was it and couldnt be changed. I paid for auction with the $7.50 shipping.

A week later.. I finally received it!! Although they were apologetic that I didnt receive it timely, they siad there was nothing they could do about the delay and they were sorry. , I wanted to return it as it wasnt as nice as the scan, but didnt want to deal with the hassle. The next day I saw a similar item, priced about the same with only $6.50 for shipping.

What can I say.. but.. I dont think its right.
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    I have purchased a few coins from him and would buy from again. With that said he has been trying to sell a raunchy 31-D ANACS lincoln graded 65RD that is 100% in a coffin.
  • Options
    That seller appears to be bidding on this coin that seems to have a wide swing from MS-60 to MS-63. Any chance he will try to regrade this coin if he wins? Do you think this coin will go as a MS-63 anytime soon?
    end of the rainbow or a dead end?
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I've also bought a few coins from him. I just include the S/H cost in what I think is a fair bid.

• Options
    Here's the response
    Subj: Re: Question for seller -- Item #1377203468
    Date: 9/2/02 3:32:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    To: dukie101@aol.com

Hi,

Sorry about that. That is a misprint...Should be $8.50..

Gary
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: <fairtraderz@rare-things.com>
    Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 12:24 PM
    Subject: Question for seller -- Item #1377203468

> Is your s/h/i quoated at $15.50 accurate or is this a misprint???
    >
    > Thanks
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > Question from: dukie101@aol.com
    > Title of item: [E169] 1883-S PCGS AU53 Morgan $1
    > Seller: fairtraderz
    > Starts: Aug-29-02 13:42:59 PDT
    > Ends: Sep-08-02 13:42:59 PDT
    > Price: Starts at $145.00
    > To view the item, go to:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1377203468
    >

Larry
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i believe fairtraderz uses shill accounts. i once received 2 identical emails, 1 from fairtraderz and 1 from another email addr. asking me to check out their auctions. BUT, i didn't check to see if there was any ebay activity under the "other" account.

K S
  • Options
    History always repeats itself. Humans are slow learners.
  • Options
    Dukie101-
    What does it take? You know the coin. You know the price. You know the S,H&I. You compare the total of the price and the shipping and compare that to the quality of the coin. If it is cheap, you buy. It if is expensive, you don't. Do you need fellow Members of this forum to hold it for you? This is such a ridiculous thread! Strong, qualified Members have verified for the seller and yet you sit around, trembling, waiting for Members to tell you what to do. You want the coin? Buy it! We're not going to pay for it for you!
  • Options
    Laura-
    Dorkkarl thinks your good friend, John Schuch, Ebay ID: FAIRTRADERZ, is a shill bidder. I'm wondering what you have to think about that? I've bought from him a couple of times and he has bought from me a couple of times. I have NEVER found him to be anything but a highly principled individual with strong, quality business practices. DORKKARL offers no substantiation of the his claims, yets makes such a ridiculous accusation! I am always amazed at some of the trash some Members will post on this forum! Very tacky Karl, very tacky!!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    I bought 2 coins from him, both under $100. $5.50 S/H on the first and $6.50 on the 2nd.

High, but not too out of line

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file