"spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What brand and model camera is it?
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be a nice coin. But sorry no cigar on the ms67 grade.

Thanks for posting. Maybe play with camera a little more.

But from what I see as far as marks etc. I wouldn't come close to 67 grade.

Just my thoughts, If it's in the 66-67 grade I like to start seeing the puffy apple looking cheek.

Stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    its4realits4real Posts: 451 ✭✭
    stman and gsaguy,

I am going to take a few more pics and try to get this right - like I said - the field on this coin has maybe 2 or 3 very small contact marks - nothing that you can see without magnification. It's really an eye pleaser but to get a good photo in this CC holder is near impossible. I've taken a hunred already and they are either blurred (focuses on the plastic - not the coin) or th intense white light of the flash causes the pic to highlight every little luster point and make it appear as a contact mark or gash - both of which this coin has almost neither.

It's4real
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    What kind of camera is it ? I would not use the flash for taking coin pictures. I use two desk lights spaced far enough apart to cut out any glare and I tilt the coin towards the light. It does take alot of work to get it figured out. mike
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Are those numbers or letters on the lower cheek?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    For a few bucks you can purchase a mini-tripod which should help you focus better and not have so many fuzzies. On some cameras you can't disable the flash if you are taking a picture in close up mode.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Blackhawk- they look like reed marks( where the reeding of another coin makes contact). mike
  • Options
    Okay,
    I will try and use the "two desklamp" method - the flash definitely creates all sorts of images that just aren't there.

The cheek, for example, only has fresty luter lines, not numbers, letters, or anything else. It could just be light contact points that happened in the original bin at the mint. They are extremely lustrous and have no indentations at all.

More pics later today.
    Its4real
  • Options
    Sorry - 1 other thing,

Its a FujiFilm 1.3 Megapixel digital cam - "Finepix" is the model name.

Its4real
  • Options
    Okay - here's the latest pic. I took someadvice and used NO FLASH - outside in full sunlight. Something to do with the ambient light temperature in degrees - i.e. the light that is reflected in degrees...who knows? Anyway - the regular sunlight does a lot more justice to this coin :-)

and then here's another shot:

• Options
    Just another note:

Those are clouds you see reflected in the coin and on the case to the right of the picture :-)
    Its4Real

p.s. Now how about it stman?
  • Options
    I couldn't resist this one....I took it and went ...WOW image

• Options
    ooooo....ahhhhhh :-)

• Options
    Nice but no chance for 67, more of a 64 or 65 (at best) with the field marks, the reed mark on the lower chin. Add to that the marks on the reverse and it could never come close to 67, if all the marks that appear on the first photos are visible in real life then it is more of 64.
  • Options
    Okay - okay...

I PROMISE you - almost NONE of that "acne" stuff in the first photo is really there as are none of the field marks. I took that shot with full flash up close. As I explained earlier - the few marks that DO appear on the coin are almost all invisible at close distance. Only under magnification can you see the few of them.
    Regards,
    Its4Real
  • Options
    just to make sure everyone knows - all of the pics in this thread are indeed the same coin
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

p.s. Now how about it stman? >>

This is a nice coin as I mentioned before!

But it is still not 67 as far as I'm concerned. And thats okay.

I understand you want us to know that what we are seeing in scan is only visible under a glass. But thats why we have them.

Also sometimes all you have to do is tilt the coin a little and the marks light up. It's probably 64-65. Thanks for giving me the link to this.

stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    I'm jealous. (of both the coin and the camera). How much did you pay for the camera, if you don't mind. I'm thinking about one (camera), and the pictures you took look ok to me. Although, I'm not sure how cameos will come out.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file