Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scanner Question And Help Needed

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking about getting a scanner so maybe I can post some coins once in a while.

Anybody willing to maybe walk me through how to do it.
Maybe through PM?

Also any help on what kind to get. I haven't got a clue.

Thanks stman
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an HP 5400. But the lighting is not as good (for some reason) as one I had earlier. Tonelover had given me his scanner (which was an HP but I don't remember the model) and I gave it away to "DrawTwo".

From what I've observed scanners are good for toned coins but not if you want to show luster. That is because scanners uses flourecent light. It has a natural light color temp (which shows toning well) but is not pin-point light (doesn't show luster well). I've started using my Digital Camera so I can use a better light source. See my earlier thread:

Photo Thread

jom
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jom, Oh and thanks everyone elseimage

stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I have the HP 4400C. It does a good job for business strikes, circulated coins and copper. Not so good for silver proof coinage - too much reflectivity. I've found that the best option for proofs is a digital camera.

Operation on modern scanners is much, much simpler then not too long ago. Most have one-touch buttons for scanning, printing, copying, eMailing etc. Or, you can use the software. They also come with imaging software (not real powerful) to do some editing and sizing.

Stay away from the real thin ones. Something about the lighting used makes for lousy coin scans - no depth perception.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a scanner anymore but when I did it was pretty easy to use.
    I really have no clue as to what a good one to get now would be.

For posting a picture once you get it scanned you can just attach it to a post using the Attachments: option under the box you type messages in when posting or replying.
    The pictures need to be under a certain size and fortmat like .jpg or it won't be allowed.

Another way is to put the picture on a web host like boomspeed.com and link to it using the picture icon (the one to the left of http above the box where you type).

A good way to learn if you use windows is to find a picture on eBay and right click on the picture and choose properties. You will get a box what you do is highlight the address:url then right click on the highlighted address and choose copy.

The use the picture icon and where it asks for the url for the image just right click in the blank area and choose paste.
  • Options
    stman:
    I have an HP-R80.....it does a crappy job of scanning, so I use my Sony DCR-PC110 cam/camcorder for pics....it does great with a 2X lens!!!
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    I have a scanner, but it makes the fields look really shallow on my proofs so I am going to invest in a digital camara.

It took me a little while to figure out how to get my scans posted onto the forums. The biggest hurdle was shrinking the scan file below 50kB. On adobe, after clipping and sizing the scan, if you save the scan to a jpg file with pretty low resolution it will get you below that 50kb size. I was suprized to see that the picture quality was still pretty good after uploading even for a file that was 25kB.

P.S. I still hope to see that 1893 proof $.25.

My Barbers
  • Options
    I have a HP 4200C which I have been using for about 3 years. It is very easy to use (it has to be for me to be able to use it) and does a decent job scanning most coins and slabs. Some coins, however, are very difficult to scan (try Sacagawea's) and get good results. For that you need a digital camera. I have one of those too, but haven't figured out how to use it yet on coins. Still learning about cameras and lighting, etc. from the threads posted here.image
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I am a computer moron, so if I was able to purchase a scanner (Epson something or other) and start making images, anyone can. The instructions are fairly simple for my machine. The editing stuff can get funky, but I leave that stuff to my wife image My problem is I have a Mac, and I have an awful time sending images to people via email (a lot of people can't open the darn things, espcecially aol accounts) or uploading the pics to different sites, including this one and the ngc site. That part of it drives me crazy!!!!!!!! I'm not computer literate enough to solve it quite yet either. I would get some advice from a couple of different computer retailers on different scanners and weigh ease of use with complexity, and figure out what will work for you. They aren't expensive, so it's not a huge decision. Good luck!
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    I have an HP6300 and it seems to do a good job.
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Out of the closet Morgan loverimage
  • Options
    I have a ScanJet 3300C and it does well, it is probably ancient (around 2 years old)
    I would probably be the guy to talk to about setting it up as I worked as a Computer Tech/Help Desk for many years *but* in my experience... what you want to do is contact Support for the scanner you purchase. They can usually get you up in running right away and if any problems arise, they can tell you exactly what you need. An all around tech guy like myself would probably need to fumble around the manufacturers website for a while to figure out what model you have, find instructions and if a problem arouse... we would have to fumble around the manufacturers website again searching for the problem you experienced or to search for any error you received. It would be my best advice to deal with the people who support these scanners everyday.

These are pretty much the steps you need to take:
    Make a note of your operating system and what type of ports you have (Parallel? USB?)
    Figure out the model and brand that's in your budget
    Read the box or talk to a sales person. Does it work with you operating system? Will it work on your port? Sometimes you can even tell the sales person what you will be using it for and they can give you some advice (sometimes they have no clue)
    Bring it home, contact the manufacturer and have them assist you in setting it up. Have them do a test scan with you and have them walk you through saving the file to your computer.

With My HP, I just have to hit a button on the scanner and about a minute later, the scan shows up on the screen. I click the button "save scan" and choose the location to save it (usually the Desktop) and bingo... the scan appears as an icon on my Desktop but with the different software packages out, there are plenty of different scenario's that can play out in how to perform the scan function. Sometimes it's best just to play around with the scanner for a while and figure out how to change the settings... and in essence... teach yourself to be an expert with your scanner.

I believe in most cases, you can contact tech support for a certain time period for free support. The last time I dealt with HP, you had 1 month of free support. You can always give them a call with specific questions. If you have a question about posting a picture to this forum, you can always ask around.

Good Luck
    -David

• Options
    Get an Hewllet Packard 4470. I bought this model for taking pictures of coins and have not been dissapointed with it.
    Need a website? Future Design Solutions has custom professional website design starting at just $249!

Check us out today!
    http://www.futuredesignsolutions.com
  • Options
    I have a real inexpensive scanner----(Mustek, I think). I've all but quit using it. It does a pretty good job of anything you can lay flat on the glass (that is, raw coins). But it is unable to focus on anything held off the glass (such as slabbed coins). I've switched to using a cheap digital camera (Ricoh RDC4300 sniped on eBay for $103) which does a better job on both and is far easier and faster to get images onto the computer.

Pete
  • Options
    I have the HP OfficeJet R40 scanner, printer, copier, coffee maker combo. OK, maybe it doesn't make coffee, but it should. I mean, it does everything else. image

But seriously, I have only scanned a few coins so far using it and the shots turned out pretty nice (better than with my digital camera). I used the scans successfully in eBay auctions. One of these days I will learn how to really use the scanner and maybe post some scans of my favorite coins.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights