Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber Halves:minimum grade to collect the series?

After my most recent post I figured to post this question. I know several of the issues have very weak reversi. But what about the latest trend and collect premium quality low grade coins FR02,AG03 etc. Any comments? I'm still thiking uncleaned and clean rimmed!
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best advice I can give is: Collect what YOU like. I know that is simplistic but that is the way it should be. If you like FR02 coins, great! If you like MS68, great! But do what YOU like and don't let anyone tell YOU what to collect. image

jom
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    A slick Barber ½ is a hideous looking thing. To appreciate the true uglyness of a Barber I like them around 63/64 except for some tough ones that I would settle for in XF due to the cost. On Proofs, 64 is the lowest grade that you can find a decent coin in.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    I think that circulated barbers are fun and are not to pricey. i have gotten XF's for only 50 bucks.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me, I LOVE all Barber coins, but anything VG or under is pretty ugly.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Minimum grade to collect? Easy question. The answer would be the either the lowest grade you like or the highest grade you can afford. I am poor and actually like nice, well circulated <GASP!>coinage so it is a no brainer for me. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AG-Good Barbers are not challenging, dime a dozen, and hurtful to the eyes! VG Barbers have decent detail, can be assembled in nice original condition with some challenge and are easy on the wallet. They are relatively common and as such do not tend to appreciate in price much; even the key dates.

Midgrade Barber Halves (Fine - XF) are very popular, and very challenging to find in nice original condition. They seem to sell at Greysheet - retail or better on Ebay. In wholly original condition with great eye appeal a complete set is very difficult to put together even in lower grades of Fine. From Fine or better the coins tend to appreciate as there always seem to be collectors anxious for them.

There are only a handful of truly common dates, and at least 2/3 of the dates are infrequently encountered. The higher grades of XF and AU can be found, but in nice original condition you want not be finding many. I estimate that a complete set in XF-AU in original condition would take a minimum of 10 years to complete.

I know rich west coast collector who has $150,000 - $200,000 in Barber material alone. He has 40 complete sets that he has been collecting for over 30 years. Only two of the sets are XF or higher, and they still need a piece or two to finish.

My current set is a VG10/Fine12 set. It is a blast! Cost is affordable, and specimens are found frequently enough to pique my interest.

Tyler
  • Options
    I don't have anywhere near a complete set of Barber Halves, but all of mine are in the AG3-G4 range and I appreciate them just the way they are. On most donominations I set a bottom grade of at least a VG or Fine, but for the price I can get the G4's I have made an exception on these coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file