Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which lighting is best?

I would like to know which lighting is best for grading Proof Coins, and which is best for MS Coins.

Thanks

Walt

Comments

• Options
    For grading I don't think you can beat a good halogen lamp. I got one relatively inexpensively at Walmart and it throws 75W of light, which at times can be a lot if you're looking at a particularly brilliant coin. I find that just about any mark that might be on the coin is reflected with this kind of light.

Frank
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avoid flourescent lighting at all cost!!!!!!! i find it ironic that that is the type of lighting in virtually every shop and at all shows. i use a ceiling fixture with incandecent bulbs and another light on top of the desk over my monitor with halogen. as frank said about the halogen, the light seems "harder" and shows marks better which helps us perfectionist types over-scrutinize our coins!!

al h.image
  • Options
    If you want to get super critical take the coin out into the sun. Any flaws that are hiding will be apparent and if you don't see any in sun light then you have a really true GEM. Incadecant for non paranoid grading, I use a room with 2 over head lighs and a 60W lamp close up. This seems to work well for me.
  • Options
    Warning! Some proofs can almost blind you when reflecting California sunshine directly into your eye!! I'd guess sunshine from other places is sure to be strong too so watch out!

I think a halogen lamp is a must for high grade proofs. Nothing brings out a hairline like halogen. However halogen is poor for viewing colors of toned coins. So I'm now trying out a GE Reveal bulb (incandescent) as recommended by board members. That and daylight seem pretty good for color.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Carl,

A quick note on the Reveal bulbs. They tend to hide flaws, so they're not a good choice for grading.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a search on this topic...discussed in depth with many good posts. K
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends on what you are examining and why. For an overall look incandescant, surface defects - halogen, and flourescent lighting can be useful in photography. Whatever you use try to use it consistently and when buying take note of the light source and adjust your exam accordingly.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Thanks for your opinions.

Walt image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file