Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS or NGC *?

I would like to ask for some feedback. I have a 1954 NGC graded dime with great complete target toning on the reverse and almost complete target toning on the obverse save the bust toning. It was graded by NGC about 10 years ago before the * designation. Should I resubmit it back to NGC for the * designation or send it to PCGS for certification? I'm looking at it from the perspective of selling possibly, if so, MUCH later on down the road. The only NGC coins I have are the toned Binion Morgans and this dime-the price was very right. I've tried to post a photo but don't know how. If someone was willing I'd E-mail them a photo to post. Thanks in advance for your inputs! Ray
You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if will make a lot of difference at this point in time in the market, I have noticed that prices are being bidded up on the * coins, as we all surmised they would be, but having said that it might garner a wider audience in a PCGS slab and therefore a higher bid. If you are planning on holding onto it as you suggested I would try for the *. The collecting community isn't will catch up to the value of the grading company pointing out the eye appeal. To me it's a nice little insurance policy.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resubmit. Why not? Especially if the older holder is scratched up some. It might bump up a grade and either way, it sounds like a terrific coin! It'll be fun anticipating what NGC will do.
    (Use them, I wouldn't send it to PCGS for crossover.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    It seems to me that NGC is more likely to give a high grade to a heavily toned coin than PCGS. My experience is mostly with high grade modern proofs.

Who knows which service will be the most respected in several years? My bet is PCGS but who really knows? Why do I ask that? Because if you are planning on keeping the coin for several years before selling I'd advise to do nothing with the coin now. When you go to sell you can see if the PCGS coins or NGC or some other company are bringing the best prices.

It is easy to post a link to an image or to attach an image if you don't have server space. Just click the 4'th icon (button) under Message Text at the top of the message editing area when posting a reply or click the attach file button below, then browse your computer for the file, upload it, then attach it. Or just email it to me CarlsCoins@sbcglobal.net and I'll post it for you.