Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the best way to pick raw proofs for certification? (I'm new to the boards, not collecting)

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Well, this is my first time on the message boards, and I am asking for your help in figuring out the best way to choose three State Quarters to send in for "free certification" in which I have earned by completing my set to 90%.

I have about 20 silver state sets in which I want to open only one set to send in three coins for certification. For obvious reasons I would like to get the highest grades possible. Any thing I should know? image

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    I don't know much about finding super grade raw coins. But it does seem to limit things to try to find all three from one set. I mean if the three best coins are all in one set that is fine. I guess you only want to break up one set. Oh, well, I guess I don't have any good advice.

Anyway welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Out of all the state quarters I have sent in, I have gotten all 69DCAMs and 1 68DCAM. Just look at the coins under magnification. The other thing is to not break open the proof set. (I realize for the state quarters you will have to). I usually send in 5 coins at once, and send the whole proof set to PCGS. With the 2002 silvers out of the 5 proof sets I got in, I kept one, set the other 4 back for replacement. Sent the 1 set for grading and got all PR69DCAMs. I look for spots, haze and discolorazation. Those I don't send in. I have no problem getting the 68s and 69s, but on earlier proof sets (68-71) I do have a problem picking DCAMs, CAMs and regular coins. I think the coin looks cameo but comes back with a PR68 grade.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Thanks for the input, I may simply send in a whole set and get the other two done at the same time. I have one set that looks perfect, so I think they should all bring 69dcam. Hopefully I will pick the best!

Thanks again,

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Welcome to the boards Tony. Have Fun.

Walt image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the "eanie, meanie, mighty, moe" method.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I like the "eanie, meanie, mighty, moe" method. Sounds like a WINNER!

Tony

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. It's just statistically a little more difficult to find sets
    with all gems in them. All the modern sets are available with all gems
    but some are pretty tough.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Sometimes, it's cheaper to go to the Tulving site and buy them already graded. I found that out this year when the 2002 proof silver eagles came out. You could buy them from Tulving for $12 over the mint purchase price (had to buy 10 though). Somehow it takes all the fun out of it thoughimage