Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Most useless addition to my Mike Schmidt set

Check out this load of cr@p.

I can't believe that the resale value on this sticker will ever approach thirty cents. I've been loading up on these PSA-graded Schmidt stickers lately -- and I know that long-term, they will not be a capital appreciating asset. Oh well, it's a fun new item for my (somewhat stagnant) Schmidt set. I wonder if these will be included in the Mike Schmidt Master Set Registry when/if that gets off the ground.

At the very least, it does bring me back to memories of a 7-year old boy raiding his father's supermarkets for more baseball stickers! I still have those Topps albums at home. I wonder why they ever stopped producing those. For a kid -- it was much more important for me to fill out and complete my sticker album than it was to get my last Porifio Altamarino card in my Topps set.

MS
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    Marc

Time out old friend!

Did you notice that there was some other fool, errrrrrr aficionado of this rare item who actually wanted it and was willing to pay real money to obtain it?
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I would love to see Rosen or someone else...write this card up in a auction-house type listing. It does bring back memories and your right Marc...they were a blast to put together. I remember back in 82 or 83 (i think) they had a page of 6 or 9 stickers that you could put together to make one big-a$$ Rickey Henderson.

John
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think you made a nice purchase Marc. From a shear collecting standpoint that is. And that is what the registry is mainly about anyway ....

I heard that BJ is considering adding on to player sets as cards get grade, which is a good idea. I am #2 on the Rose set (even as I added a 63, 65, and 69 Batting Leaders PSA 8 the other day) and I was sooooooooo disappointed.

I am gaining ground though and looking to buy 80's Rose PSA 9 and higher.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Neal:

I think with the Mike Schmidt set -- I am going to push hard for the long-term goal to have two sets: A Basic Player set which will be very similar to what is in place already -- and a master player set which will include all of the stupid/silly cards that were introduced and gradable over Schmidt's career.

Just like with Mantle -- it will be very difficult to ever complete a fully graded set of all the Schmidt cards ever produced during his playing career. Nonetheless, I think a distinction needs to be made between the basic player set and what I will call "stupid" cards like the Kelloggs, Topps Stickers, Sportflics, etc.

I apologize in advance to Gemmintman and all others. Even though the 1980 Kelloggs are the Masters of the Universe -- the collective run of Mike Schmidt Kelloggs cards are weak to say the least. In terms of oddball, I much prefer the Coca-Cola, Drakes or Burger King cards from the same years. The early Kelloggs cards really were very neat. But by the mid-1970s, it seems that every year after that, there really wasn't anything new or special added. Just different faces.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I totally agree - the Burger King and Coca-Cola Phillies sets from the 1979/1980/1981 era are awesome cards - and really tough to find in PSA 9+ condition (esp. the 1979 BK set). But they bring back many exciting memories ...

Neal - just when I thought I had a nice cushion (in terms of completion %), you add a bunch of sweet early cards to boost your set rating. It's going to be a tough talk tonight with my fiancee explaining why I need an even bigger card budget image

In all seriousness, I'm glad that 6 people (so far) have taken advantage of the Rose set registry. I think it's just a matter of time before a few of the "bigger players" join the party, so I'm enjoying the current rankings while they last. Like the Phillies, at least I'll always know that there was one brief point in time when I was #1 image

Robert

P.S. Yes, I too still have all my old Topps sticker albums ... I *loved* the multi-panel ones (like the 6-sticker Rickey stolen base record one). Very cool ...
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Robert, I am in no need of being #1, but it would have been nice if only for a moment .... the only other time was when I was the ONLY ONE on the Rose registry, and YOU ARE KILLIN MEimage
    Once the big guns come in, forget about it!!! There is another one of us Rose ebay guys that is lurking .... I know you know who he is, so email me with the answer. If he registers, I think he is automatically number one.

An FYI - my fiance bought me the rookie! Is that not awesome? She is a keeper.

I hope you have a good experience with him at the show - Good luck!

Marc, I think all player sets of the biggies should have two sets and I can only oimagine what both of yours will look like.

What a great way to spend time this forum is .... and for those who may be wondering how to get a girlfriend/fiance/wife involved let me know!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    Marc

Dont feel to bad I have an 1983 Topps Boggs sticker I just had graded. I had to it was his Rookie sticker! I send in Cards not in the Boggs registry. SOme cards I just like. I collect for me ...no one else. I never think resell when I $$$$$ Baseball...cards and psa is my addiction. ( I dont drink , smoke or gamble....ok I rarely gamble)
    x
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    This card is a must for the most superior of Schmidt collectors.

The seller did seem to know his target audience.
  • Options
    MS,

I don't think that card is cr@p, I think the weird oddball cards are the most intresting part of player collecting. Right now I am just trying to focus on Mattingly cards in the registry set but it doesn't mean that I don't like the oddball issues. Its just that the 193 card registry set seems lot less daunting of of a tast then trying to collect all 900+ cards of his from his playing years.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<This card is a must for the most superior of Schmidt collectors. >>

Vargha -- with an ego massage like that, I just had to bid. I mean -- I could see him (and the thousands of others) kneeling down to worship my most superior collection of Schmidt Topps Stickers. Unsurpassed in the natural world.

smirk