Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Protection for Registry Coins

I currently have quite a few high POP PCGS slabs... There are so many rumors out there for
the best protection, ie keep coins from toning ect... What is the best product to get or do I even
need to buy anything, Since it is a PCGS holder....

Please send your comments

Thanks
Rick
A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).

Comments

• Intercept Shield holders and boxes. Kelley's Coins has the best price I have found. Link
    Montgomery Collections
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    We have Intecept Shield available (see signature line below). We have a special 5-pack of IS boxes for board members that I believe is the lowest price around. Most of the other discounters (including the one linked above) tend to try and make up the discount with higher shipping charges. Our shipping charges, like our prices are very low, so we're generally cheaper than everyone else when shipping is taken into account.

WH
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A PCGS holder offers virtually no protection from the elements, just wont let you touch the coin. For copper, I have heard that holders are actually worse, seen many red-brown coins in holders with RD on the label. Intercept shield is supposed to be the best.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne (or anyone else): Serious question - If the plastic gasket INSIDE the slab and wrapped around the coin (or even the slab itself) is actually the root of a problem (I am not saying it is) due to the vapors and gases that may "leak" from those materials, will the Intercept Shield solve that problem?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question wondercoin.I would like to know the same.Al
  • Thanks for the commnts so far. I quess maybe Intercept Shield is about the only way to go....

Rick
    A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).
    Mitch,

Hopefully, the gasket and slab are inert. If not, IS will help a little but won't fully protect. Here's some info from the manufacturer (relevant excertps only):

"Intercept is not a magnet; it does not pull corrosive or reactive gases to itself. It will however cleanse its immediate surroundings of corrosive gases, by reacting with and neutralizing these gases....Intercept acts as a barrier to reactive gases trying to permeate through the material. The high sticking coefficient provides the additional protection of helping cleanse and neutralize the enclosed space of corrosive gases. "

So, it is primarily a barrier that protects from external gasses but does help neutralize the enclosed space to the extent those contaminants come in contact with the IS barrier. Obviously something from the outside HAS to go through the barrier and is thereby stopped. Something already inside could get to the coin without coming in contact with the IS barrier. However, no doubt some of the gases would be neutralized by the IS lessening the impact on the coin.

At our prices, IS costs about 12 cents per coin per year (shipping included). At that price, why take a chance and not use it. Heck, even on a $20 coin it is cost effective. I'd say it is a must on the higher end Registry quality coins.

I have the full text of the study on our website if you're interested in a more detailed reading. Just use the link below to the website, then click Inventory, then Intercept Shield. There are several links there to the study, FAQs, etc.

Thanks,

WH
    wondercoin,

I think that the intercept shield will protect against that ( at least I remember reading something to that effect). It is supposed to neutralize the gasses in the air. I am pretty sure it does not matter whether the gasses come from an external source, or an internal source.
    Well, I guess my off the top of my head response was not that far off.
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    One of the problems hypothesized on this board is that coins are often submitted in PVC flips, and sit at PCGS for a few weeks. This causes some PVC contamination on the coin, which appears only over time. I don't think the Intercept Shields can protect against this.

Greg

• After all the facts... I may find a cheap dealer on this post to buy a little protection...image
  • WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    How many people (currently) actually protect their slabs? I have many high pops as well. If there is no PVC contamination.. why wouldnt the PCGS slab be protection enough, from toning?
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
    Whitewashqtr,

That is one of the questions on the Intercept FAQ page:

Q. I noticed that you offer a product to protect my slabbed coins. Why would I need such a product? I have always understood that slabs offered the best protection available because they were airtight.

A. The current slab products on the market are of very high quality. However, even if they are sealed correctly, they will never be airtight. Plastic is a porous material. Harmful gases will eventually reach the coins, traveling right through the plastic! To make matters worse, once the harmful gases penetrate the holder they will keep building over time. Even if the grading services were able to find a non-porous holder such as glass, they would then have to find a way to "clean up" the air inside the holder. It would be much easier to spend a little over $1.00 per coin to buy Intercept protection for over 10 years.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One wonders how hundred-year-old coins kept their luster and didn't discolor before Intercept Shields were invented.

I'm not saying that Intercept Shields would not prevent discoleration that occurs now on some coins. But evidently there WERE procedures that collectors followed in years past, that worked to preserve a coin's appearance. What were they? Or were people just lucky up to now?
    dpoole, they were not in slabs.
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpoole: In my experience with early commems (1892-1954), the only silver coins that are still naturally white or near-white are those coins that were stored in roll form. For example, as late at the 1960s there were known to be rolls of oregon halves that were still nearly white, and many white walking liberty halves are also from rolls. I own a set of truly original red 1909-VDB cents that were put away as a roll wrapped in tin foil and I believe that is why they stayed red...they were stacked. I don't think there are any very early coins that are naturally white and if anyone out there knows for example how an 1855 bright red large cent stayed untoned I would appreciated being educated.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have my PCGS Registry coins in the Intercept Shields and Boxes. I think they are a good idea, and I think the intercept technology has proven succcessful in areas besides coin protection. Mark.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Wayne,

Was looking at the IS boxes on your site and have a question. Do you have the external physical dimensions handy? If I switch to them, I'll be cutting capacity in half from the PCGS boxes, so I need to know how many will fit in my already stuffed full safe. Thanks.

Russ, NCNE
    Russ,

The boxes are 3 1/4 inches wide, 3 3/4 inches tall and 6 5/8 inches long.

Thanks,

WH

PS: Sorry for the delay in getting back. I was out to dinner and a movie with the wife and kids.
  • Wayne... PM sent....

Rick
  • I'm really confused about this storage/protection thing. I thought the slabs themselves were good enough protection, but after reading the information on the site, I guess I'm wrong. How did proof coins survive all these years with little or no toning. Specifically the ones from the 40's and 50's. And what would environmental exposure do to these cameo proofs.

About the intercept shield box for slabbed coins, what is the big box made of, and how do the little boxes work (how do they keep close, what are they made of). I can't tell much from the picture and there's no coin shops in my area. Thanks for any help.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
    goyankeez,

Both the interior and exterior boxes are made of cardboard from totally inert materials. The exterior boxes is of heavier construction (similar to a hard back book) while the interior boxes are thiner. Both are lined with the IS shield so there will be two layers of IS protection the coin. The interior box has a lid that is slightly larger than the box so that it slips down over the top (like a cap to a fountain pen).

Hope that helps,

WH
  • wayne,

Do you think IS will make a product so you can put a blue pcgs box into another for protection????

Rick
    Rick,

No idea. I do know that they are planning several new offerings in the coming year, however, I suspect it will be filling out their existing lines.

WH
  • BowAxeBowAxe Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Mitch,

I worry about the gasket, too. I don't know what it is composed of, but who knows what will happen if it begins to degrade and change its chemical composition 20 or 30 years down the line? Or even if something in it leaches out now? (Actually, my concern extends to the hard pastic holder as well.) Gas molecules inside the holder clearly would tend to remain there and get onto the surface of the coin, instead of drifting out to be sequestered by the Intercept Shield, which by the manufacturer's own admission does not act as a magnet. Only molecules that happen to passively drift close to the Intercept Shield will be trapped by it. So it would appear that Intercept Shield can do little to protect against substances that might arise within the holder.

Dell
  • The PCGS holder gives little protection against the environment, although I am sure that an unholdered coin with directly exposed surfaces would do even worse than a PCGS-holdered coin in the long run. However, I find it amazing that everyone here is so PCGS-focused that no-one even mentions the (relatively) new NGC slab. It incorporates Intercept Shield material right into the slab, and I don't think there is the same kind of soft gasket that is in the PCGS holder. If you are serious about preserving your coins, think about getting them into NGC holders !!! Or lobbying PCGS to develop a next-generation holder that incorporates IS technology.

I use the IS double-box system for longer-term storage. Each NGC or PCGS holder is placed into a "mini-box," and then (10) of those fit into a bigger white box. The IS product needs some tweaking in terms of dimensions and manufacturing quality, but it is basically a good idea. By the way, I hate the blue PCGS boxes. I think they are cheaply made and unattractive. I wish PCGS would come out with an upscale, finely crafted storage box incorporating IS technology and with a more attractive appearance !!! (Hmmm I am beginning to sound opinionated !!!)

Sunnywood

• I have some of my slabs in Intercept Shield boxes, but I have to say I have my doubts about some of the hype---they seem to keep referring to their "inert" chemical composition. Inert (as I dredge back to the two years of college chemistry that I took many, many years ago) means that it is non-reactive with other chemicals. Inert gasses, such as argon, are typically used to fill incandescent light bulbs, for example because they do not react with the glowing filament. But if Intercept Shield is truly inert, then how can it do any good at all, except for its ability to seal and keep other gasses out----and, it is not designed to form a good seal. It is merely a box within a box (or ten boxes within a box, actually). So either I'm remembering chemistry wrong (and I don't think so in this case), or their sales pitch is hype rather than fact---my real question is what is Intercept Shield REALLY composed of and how does it react to protect coins?

My guess is that they have something that really serves some purpose through some chemical process, and, rather than trying to explain to a non-technical audience, how it works, they surround the word "inert" with a lot of marketing hype, because we coin collectors wouldn't understand how it works anyway. But I, for one, would like someone to give me a try with a real explanation instead of trying to tell me they have found a new inert material that somehow sucks all the bad gasses out, obviously without any chemical reaction, because if there were a chemical reaction, then this substance wouldn't be inert, now, would it?

Final question --- and I guess I address this to Wayne or anyone else with experience with Intercept Shield. I have some fairly decent raw coins in Dansco Albums. if you follow the link to my web site, you can see some of them---I have images of some of the early Lincoln pennies, Liberty nickels and Morgan dollars, among others. The Morgans and Liberty's were sold to me mostly as MS62-MS65 (with prices reflecting more like AU - MS62, which I think is closer to their actual grades---you can be amused by some of the grades next to the pictures---these are all the grades that the coins were sold as). Would these coins, in your opinion, be better served if they were moved from their current Dansco albums into Intercept Shield albums? Does anyone who reads this have any ACTUAL side-by-side experience of Dansco (or any other non-IS album) versus Intercept Shield holding similar coins in the same environment? And is there any noticeable difference in the coins years later? Unfortunately, IS hasn't been around too many years, so I don't expect anyone to be able answer me in the affirmative---but if, by chance, someone has seen a difference in the relatively small amount of time they have been out, that would be a big testament to their effectiveness.

Pete
    Pete,

The "inert" references in the IS promotions and descriptions describes the paper, plastic, etc. (other than the IS) out of which the boxes, albums, etc. are constructed. The IS itself which lines the boxes, albums, etc. is NOT inert and actually reacts with the corrosive gases and nuetralizes them.

You essentially answer your own question about the albums. Because IS is relatively new I am not aware of a real-life experiment comparing corrosion (or lack thereof) of coins stored in a Dansco and an IS album stored similar environmental conditions. However, the research report made public by IS (and reprinted on our website) did recreate this situation in a laboratory context using the laboratory conditions to simulate the passage of time. In this experiment, the coins in the IS album experienced less corrosion than the competing albums (brands were not named in the public report).

Thanks,

WH
  • I've got all my PCGS slabbed registry coins in IS boxes , around 20 , and many raw coins in IS albums. The raw coins , I moved from Dansco albums into IS albums, and am selling the Danscos, if anyone is interested. This product is too new to know if it actually works or not , but as Wayne said , the price isn't bad . If they work , fine ; if they don't , what have I lost ? They have to be stored somehow anyway. The IS boxes are larger than the PCGS boxes , and only hold 10 , so I guess that's a drawback , but I store my stuff in a large gun safe , and use Silica holders which can be re-activated , so am trying to do whatever I can to keep the coins good. When my kids inherit them , they'll probably crack them out and buy pop with them. image
    Howie
    Howie--Always looking to upgrade SBA , MS Eagles & Ikes
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, there is a plastic gasket wrapped around all the PCGS coins. I do not profess to be a Chemistry expert, but my layman mind thinks, if the plastic gasket throws off gases over time, is it equally possible the IS by its very nature might trap these gases within the holder, just as it does a good job keeping outside gases out of the holder?

I am less concerned about silver and gold coins, which can be more easily curated. Copper scares the heck out me. This is the very reason I personally chose to sell off my couple expensive Lincolns around 10 years ago, right or wrong.

Regarding the Dansco albums, I bought a bunch of them for State quarters and have been having fun busting out PQ state quarter slabs to place these coins in the albums. I'd love a matched color set of album toned MS state quarters 10-15 years from now. How neat would that be! I do not recommend this excercise for most people though, as you MUST bust out only the coins that should easy regrade nearly every time at that grade level, or this is a very costly way to collect state quarters image Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Agreed Wondercoin ....

In fact, this is why I no longer have any of my once-magnificent two cent piece collection to offer you image I sold almost all of my copper several years ago after getting spooked by seeing one or two red coins starting to turn while in my custody.

If the gasket inside the holder is a source of contamination, that would certainly be a problem. On the other hand, we all love multi-colored album toning, such as has been acquired by silver coins which resided in sulfur-rich Wayte Raymond coin boards for years. Perhaps PCGS should introduce a special gasket for silver coins, which has been doped with the same chemicals as are found in those old albums, so that all of our slabbed silver will gradually acquire magnificent album toning over time !!! imageimageimage

Sunnywood
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with Sunnywood and Wondercoin, I am absolutely panicking seeing some of my Lincolns turing before my eyes. I have had my safe piled high with silica packs, to no apparent avail.

In view of the fact that these items maintained color for years before slabbing, it's hard not to blame the slabs.

For me, the jury had still been out for using the Intercept technology in any comprehensive way. Since the jury's coming back in with discoloring Lincolns, though, Wayne just got a medium-size big order from me!

• Mitch:

You are a nice guy and a great dealer, but probably should have stopped the first paragraph with your confession that you are not a chemistry expert (how's that for a nasty comment). I am not an expert either, and have absolutely no idea whether IS will help, do nothing, or make things worse. I have no idea whether there is a problem with PCGS or other holders. Do know that the PCGS guarantee covers degradation of grade within a holder. Not sure whether PCGS will be around to make good on that guarantee if needed. In short this game is kind of like buyer Tech stocks. Not sure it is worth the money buying any of this stuff. Might just be paying to feel better. Am convinced that storing coins in a dark, cool, low humidity, vaccum pack will work. Thinking about renting some space on the next trip to the moon and storing them up there. I'll never get to see them again, what does that matter.

I do not believe copper from over 100 years ago can maintain its original red color. This seems inconsistent with the very nature of copper. I assume any red pieces from a long time ago have probably been treated at some point. Not sure what this does for long term prospects for these pieces. Personally, I would look for beautifully toned or original BN or RB pieces for copper before 1900. Those pieces are probably the waive of the future, and can be found so much cheaper than so called RD pieces.

Like Mitch's idea of creating a collection of state quarters in Dansco albums. My middle 12 year old son is doing the same with quarters starting in 65. Not breaking them out of holders, just trying to find nice examples sold as BU. No toning yet, but time will tell.

Finally, a local Anchorage collector has an entire 32 to date quarter collection in Dansco albums. He showed them to me and complained how many of the pieces were starting to tone. What I saw were several dozen magnificent rainbow pieces. Offered him a deal. Told him to buy brilliant replacement pieces, I would pay for them, and take the rainbows off his hands. Amazing how quickly his view of things changed. So far haven't had to pay for one replacement piece yet.

Greg
  • Wayne,
    I just bought three boxes for my proof slabs off your website. Thanks for the info. and see it pays to post on these threads.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I paid via Paypal. Thanks again.

-Hunter
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!
  • Wayne, I just bought a "five pack" to add to the ones I already have. I'll probably buy some more as your prices are as you said--the best and I do need some more for my Morgan Dollars!! Thanks.image
  • wayne

pm sent
    Yes guys, I see the orders and will get them processed. Thanks a lot!

Rick, I responded to one PM yesterday. Did you get that response? I didn't receive a PM from you today so if you sent one please resend it or e-mail it.

Thanks,

WH
  • Here is the whole scoop!!!!!

Subject

Performance analysis of the corrosion protection of intercept technology licensed metal substrate storage product

Intercept Technology is a Lucent Technologies patented and licensed polymer process. The Technology has been licensed, manufactured, distributed, and sold by our licensees since 1991. In order to ensure the highest quality production, and manufacture of Intercept products are maintained, samples of production materials are regularly retained and tested. These checks, coupled with periodic inspections and updated improvements in formulations create a technically advanced product. Periodically, final products are laboratory tested for static and/or corrosion protection performance.

Coin storage systems are designed to protect copper, silver and their alloys from tarnishing. These metals are commonplace in the electronic equipment Lucent Technologies manufactures. Therefore, it is beneficial for Lucent Technologies Bell Labs to test their performance of such systems so as to expand our information base in the matter of the atmospheric corrosion protection of electronic materials. This report describes such a test for corrosion protection and its results.

Storage systems for coinage have been tested for corrosion protection from atmospheric trace sulfur gases. Intercept Technology significantly outperformed non-Intercept Technology systems.

Background

Copper, silver and their alloys have been degraded from atmospheric gases from the moment they were purified and polished more than 5,000 years ago(1). The most abundant corrosive gas is oxygen. Upon exposure to oxygen copper forms an oxide film of Cu2O, which, is semitransparent, and self limiting. This oxide grows to approximately 15Å in one hour to an upper limit of approximately 2 NM at 20° C(2). Typical copper degradation occurs when sulfur and water vapor are deposited on the metal surfaces. Liquid water, sufficient to form an acidic condensate slurry with sulfur, occurs at relative humidity levels greater than 60%. This slurry penetrates and breaks protective oxide interstitial grain boundary bonds. Eventually, sulfur and copper ions form copper sulfide, which, mix into the oxide, and form directly on the copper surfaces. In very thin layers an overall darkening will occur at thicknesses as low as 10 nm(3). Typically, experiments used to mimic these natural occurring processes utilize water and a corrosive gas. We have chosen this proven method to evaluate product performance. The gas we wish to use as a catalyst for the test is hydrogen sulfide. It is abundant in the atmosphere. It has a natural vapor pressure of 292 psi at STP, is colorless, and it has an affinity for reacting with copper having a chemical stoichiometry favoring a Cu reaction as does carbonyl sulfide and three to four times more than So2(4).

Experimental

H2S levels of 4 ppm were used in experiments. These have been found to provide an increase in exposure concentration that follows a linear relationship with total exposure as shown by Graedel et al(5). Generation of the atmospheres and exposure chamber was similar to previous work using a variable length, low pressure permeation tube capped on one end, and connected to a variable pressure regulated H2S(6) lecture bottle of technical grade H2S. Continuous monitoring of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) concentrations were made by a Thermo Electron Model 43 Pulsed Florescence monitor with precursory catalysis on H2S by platinum reduction. Temperature measurements were made by a Fluke Model 16 digital thermometer, and humidity by an EXTECH model 10 humidity meter. The test chamber dimensions are 450 x 600 x 600 cm., with a construction of 0.64 cm thick clear polycarbonate. The chamber has two slotted shelves, and incorporates a cross feed gas flow system to ensure linear gas concentration exposures. The air supply line was filtered with an oil separator, an activated charcoal cartridge, and a 0.5 micron particulate filter. A continuous feed water drip maintained the bubbler at 10 cm of water. The water supply was deionized and triple filtered. Air flow through the chamber was maintained at 10 liters per minute. This flow provided the 162 liter chamber with one volume exchange per 16.2 minutes. Following the 90th percentile gas flow rule, calculations show a complete air exchange occurs at ten times a volume exchange. Therefore the chamber is completely refreshed every 2 hours 42 minutes.

Coin samples consisted of 1964 to 1980 pennies which all have a composition of 95% Cu, 5% Zn and, 1964 to 1979 nickels with a composition of 75% Cu and 25% Ni.

The coin samples were degreased with 111 trichloethane, and dried with gaseous nitrogen. They were then placed in appropriate compartments in the storage media samples.

Evaluation of the samples was performed with, a LEO 1530 scanning electron microscope for surface topography, X ray analysis with a Kevex EDXA for elemental analysis, and a Kodak model 950 digital camera for optical data.

Five types of storage boxes were evaluated:

Intercept Album, multipage book with clear plastic covered slot and an outer cover with Intercept Technology throughout the book.
    Sample X Album, similar to 1, different vendor, no Intercept
    Sample Y Album, similar to 1, different vendor, no Intercept
    Intercept Tri Fold, open coin slots: cover folds onto itself. Intercept Technology protected
    Sample Z Tri Fold, open coin slots: cover folds onto itself. No Intercept Technology
    The populated books were placed in the test chamber for a 150ppm hour exposure. Previous work(7) indicated this exposure is equivalent to average ambient H2S exposure for 10 years. This relationship of copper sulfide film growth and sulfur gas exposure has been shown to follow the formula of RCu,i=lCu,i[í] where RCu,i is the rate of formation of a sulfur-containing corrosion film on copper by species i, [í] is the atmospheric sulfurous gas concentration, and lCu,i is the pseudo-first-order rate constant. For comparative purposes RCu,i can be approximated for SO2 and CS2 at a total exposure of 100 ppm-h (approximately the total sulfurous gas exposure that would occur in 10 year in a typical urban environment). The derived value of í is 4x10-3 nm ppb-h-1 for H2S. A similar relationship exists for silver and sulfur gases with í being a lower number in that the reaction efficiency of silver is lower than that of copper(8).
    í
    Results

Twelve coins were tested in each album and tri fold. Typical representations of the exposed coins were selected to evaluate. One nickel and one penny from each was analyzed.

As observed, the Intercept album and Intercept tri fold performed without visual degradation. These had Intercept Technology protection. The Sample X album pennies changed to an overall darker hue, with the nickels shifting to an even yellow tone. The Sample Y Album pennies sulfided far worse with additional degradation in the form of blue/black ringing patterns on the outer edge. The nickel shifted from yellow to a reddish tone. Although overall corrosion had taken place, corrosion on the Sample Y album coins were heaviest on the side facing the opening.

The Sample Z tri fold was the worst protector causing the penny to form a blue/black corrosion film, and the nickel to shift completely yellow/red with bright but speckled areas of blue. In order to quantify the film growth and surface chemistry the coins were placed in the scanning electron microscope for sulfur observation and X-ray analysis for elemental mapping by EDXA.

SEM observations were unremarkable except in areas of surface discontinuities. For example, where the ear of Lincoln of the Sample Y album penny shows corrosion occurring at the apex of the raised struck outline of the topography. This is typical of an altered grain boundary which will exhibit more susceptibility toward corrosion than the surrounding area as seen in previous work on the Statue of Liberty restoration(9). Another significantly altered zone exists on the outer rim areas of all the coins, shown in figure 3. Sulfide growth is significantly higher than the surrounding surfaces (8,696). Figure 3 also depicts spot corrosion (blue spots) were created due to localized increases in time of wetness most likely caused by anhydrous particulates. These blue areas are indicative of the formation of hydrated sulfate formations such as posnjakite(10). The remaining samples did not reveal significant deviations from previous observations. Further corrosion mapping was deemed unnecessary. Electron Dispersive X-Ray Analysis (EDXA) was used to obtain an elemental spectrum of the metal samples. The evaluation scheme took advantage of the EDXA's ability to digitally record a background elemental spectrum and subtract that data from another samples response. The resultant data can then be computed into a ratio of increase of elements in Thousands of Electron Volts activations (Kev) to corresponding chemical elements. Since both coins possessed at least 75% Cu the Cu peak was set as a reference baseline parameter. The La copper reference peak which is at .93 Kev was used for reference analysis. The Ka sulfur peak is used as a corrosivity evaluator. That peak is seen at 0.213 Kev. The analysis started at zero and stopped counting spectra until 100,000 X-Ray counts accumulated from the La copper peak. At that time the Ka sulfur count was recorded. Data analysis was configured to provide a relative ratio of sulfur accumulation over the base line as reasonably accurate as possible. The following analysis remains qualitative in nature. This analysis should not be considered quantitative. Figure 4 plots the results of the differential scans of the three types of Album Storage Media coins. The Intercept (Intercept protected) album sulfur counts were zero and considered baseline. The Sample X album penny was 27x higher in sulfur and the nickel 19x higher. The Sample Y album penny was 56x higher in contamination due to sulfur and the nickel 6,176x higher. In the Tri Fold albums, the penny and nickel samples were at zero for the Intercept album. Similar to the previous album the Intercept protected coin scan was considered at the background level. The Sample Z Tri Fold is a commodity storage media. Sulfur on the penny stored in the Sample Z tri fold was measured at a ratio of 6,758 and the nickel at a ratio of 7,257.

Figure 3

Album Storage, Figure 4

Summary

The evaluation of Intercept Technology encompassed equivalent 10 year sulfurous atmospheric trace gas corrosion testing followed by optical evaluation, scanning electron microscopy, and x-ray elemental analysis. This generic testing and evaluation was designed to demonstrate the protection ability of material packages in reference to corrosive atmospheric sulfur trace gases and their reactions with copper, silver, and their alloys. The test results show the tested Intercept Shield products offer a considerable increase over other non-Intercept protective products.

References

1) L. Soto, J.P Faney, T.E. Graedel, and, G.W. Kammlott, "On The Corrosion of Certain Ancient Chinese Bronze Artifacts", Corrosion Science, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 241-250, 1983.

2) P.A. Skiba, Changes in Reflectivity and Emisivity of Oxide Systems Subjected to the Influence of Continuous CO2 Laser Radiation, Zhurnal Prikladoni Spektroskopii, Vol. 37, no. 2, Pages 242-247, Aug., 1982

3) J.H. Payer, "Corrosion Processes in the Development of Thin Tarnish Films", Dept of Materials Science and Engineering, Case Western Univ., Cleveland, OH, 1992.

4) T.E. Graedel, J.P. Franey, G.J. Gualtieri, G.W. Kammlott, and D.L. Malm, "On the Mechanism of Silver and Copper Sulfidation by Atmospheric H2S and OCS", Corrosion Science, Vol 25, No. 12, pg. 1163-1180, 1985.

5) J.P. Franey, T.E. Graedel, and G.W. Kammlott, "The Sulfiding of Copper by Trace Amounts of Hydrogen Sulfide", The Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 158th Meeting, Hollywood, FL, 1980.

6) J.P. Franey, "A Novel System for Atmospheric Corrosion Experiments", Corrosion Science, Vol. 23, No 1, pg. 1-8, 1983.

7) T.E. Graedel, J.P. Franey, and G.W. Kammlott, "The Corrosion of Copper by Atmospheric Sulfurous Gases", Corrosion Science, Vol. 23, No. 11, pg. 1141-1152, 1983.

8) T.E. Graedel, J.P. Franey, and G.W. Kammlott, "The Corrosion of Silver by Atmosheric Sulfurous Gases", Corrosion Science, Vol 25, No. 2, pg. 133-143, 1985.

9) J.P. Franey, and M.E. Davis, "Metallographic Studies of the Copper Patina Formed in the Atmosphere", Corrosion Science, Vol. 27, No. 7 Special Edition, pg. 659-668, 1987.

10) K. Nassau, P.K. Gallagher, A.E. Miller, and T.E. Graedel, "The Characterization of Patin Components by X-ray Diffraction and Evolved Gas Analysis", Corrosion Science, Vol 27, No. 7, Special Edition, pg. 669-684, 1987.

• emzeeemzee Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭
    A simple and effective thing to do is place box(es) of silica gel in safe with coins to absorb moisture.
    Silica gel in boxes is available from coin supply houses and is relatively inexpensive. After a while, the stuff
    becomes saturated and can be reactivated by drying at low temp in oven for reuse.
    Michael
  • RICK15JK:
    Thanks for your post. I sort of get the gist of it. Now that I think I see what they are trying to do, it seems that it should have the most effect in an album; and essentually zero effect if a slab gasket is a root cause of a problem; and some level of effect if a gasket is merely allowing a nasty material to penetrate. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that any high quality raw coins --- especially copper and nickel --- should be first candidates to move to IS albums---I think the cost is somewhere around $0.50 per coin for large coins such as Morgans and much much less for small cents---maybe $0.10: less than $30.00 for an album that holds about 300 pennies.

Slabbed coins are about $1.00 a coin: so all in all, I guess it is relatively inexpensive safeguard for any coin that is worth any significant amount of money.

Pete