Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Populations

If my analysis is correct, there are only two cards remaining that have not yet been graded in 8 or better. They are #83 Mike Ferraro and #398 Tito Francona. Just wondering if anyone has those raw in NM-MT or better. I'm pretty sure my Francona is not NM-MT and my Ferraro isn't either. Once these get graded, it will theortically be possible to complete the set in PSA 8 or better! image
Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint

Comments

• Options
    69TOPPS--
    BE PATIENT--ONLY 3 #83's AND ONLY 1 #398 HAS EVEN BEED SENT IN---RON
    TWINRON
  • Options
    69Topps8 - Considering this is 1969 Topps we are talking about, take a look at how many cards do not have a PSA 9 example. I would wager that there are quite a few 60's sets that dont have as many holes in PSA 9 grade as 69' has.
    The last time I counted it was way over 200 cards without a PSA 9 example.

RonH - You may be right, however, patience will produce some of these cards. The current registry special is likely to flush out quite a few high end examples.

All in all this is a really "fun set" (tough) to build.
    But I'm biased. :-)

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    The last time I counted the 65 set was in the low 100's of cards without a psa 9 example with nq. Those 69's are tough.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I have a Ferraro pending grading at PSA, but my biggest concern is that it may get a PD since there is some "snow" on the photo. I have a Francona that will probably grade 8, but the centering is 60/40 top-to-bottom. I haven't sent it in yet.
  • Options
    My Ferraro also has snow (on his hat). My Francona is NM-MT but unforunately measures significantly "thin". It doesn't appear to be trimmed but would get a "MC" qualifier.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    RayB> "You may be right, however, patience will produce some of these cards. The current registry special is likely to flush out quite a few high end examples."

And when that happens, expect the market dynamic to change. Take the 1975 set for example. As of this morning, there were over 27,000 graded examples. 1975T is now the second-most graded set of the 1970s (1972 has about 29k graded). I would venture to guess that roughly 25% of these submissions have happened in the last 4 months or so. As a result, the bottom totally fell out of the market for PSA8s unless they're super-low pop. And even then, many of the cards that were super-tough even 2 months ago can now be found with pops of between 5 and 10.

While I clearly don't mean to imply that this will happen as quickly with the 69 set, it will happen over time. And when it does, there will be a price correction. To paraphrase something Zardoz once told me - time is the one non-negotiable component of scarcity/rarity.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Well, that is pretty scary. I havent helped much either submitting almost 800-1969's in the last 6 weeks. I knew alot of the cards popped in the last month or so, but there will always be the dozen or so real tough ones. The ones we couldnt find raw if our lives depended on it.
  • Options
    That's true with all these low pop 50's and 60's. Prior to PSA grading, they were nearly impossible to find in true high grade also. Everybody would brag about the Mint sets they had, and most of their set would be pretty nice, but there would always be a handfull of dogs in each set. If you looked at another guys set, his dog pile would contain pretty much the same exact cards. Now with PSA, those Mint sets everybody had need a whole lot of work just to get up to NM-MT, and there's no sliding dogs in the spaces allowed.