Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Kelloggs Horlen too cheap

I thought Gemmint's last 1970 Horlen buy was a fluke. Looks like tonite's is going for a song as well. Can anyone explain this? I don't even collect the set (remember I'm a 71 guy) and I'm tempted to bid on it.
1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer

Comments

• Options
    Hey nothing about me is a fluke Guffster image.
  • Options
    "Nailman22" won the Horlen 9 for $142.

Here's the link...

Horlen PSA 9
  • Options
    Well that's the last one. We now know where each and every one of them resides. Where were these bidders when mine was up a couple of weeks ago? No more Mr. Nice Guy here! image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Somebody needs to find out where Mr. Horlen lives and let him know how valuable he is!!! GEEEEEEEZZZ!!!!!
    It's all good...
  • Options
    Maybe I should crack out my PSA-8 and re-submit it... image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    What I still don't get is how a Horlen PSA 9 with a pop of 7 can go for $142, and a McDowell PSA 10 with a pop of 4 can go for less than half???? This 3-D stuff freaks me out.....
    It's all good...
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    IT IS ALL GOOD JIMMY COCOABUTTER, WHAT IS UP WITH THIS? I AM GOING TO SELL ALL MY CARDS AND JUST BUY THESE SET FROM NOW ON. THE KELLOGGS CARDS ARE HOT, WHAT CAN YOU SAY.

1954/LEO
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Welcome to the world of Kellogg's

Actually, the majority of Horlens were scratched up in the manufacturing process, a giant "V" carved into the design at the top from a gripper or something. The McDowell comes in god shape, so readily available in 8's and above.
  • Options
    1954 - well don't sell everything, LOL. Those '71 Greatest Moments of yours are great looking and very tough, and the Wilson Hot Dogs are one of the greatest challenges out there in high grade.

Of course there's always room for another K collector image.
  • Options
    HORLEN MANIA GRIPS COLLECTORS!
  • Options

<< <i>What I still don't get is how a Horlen PSA 9 with a pop of 7 can go for $142, and a McDowell PSA 10 with a pop of 4 can go for less than half???? This 3-D stuff freaks me out..... >>

You're right. The McDowell should go for more. I've got a spare McDowell PSA-10 which I will gladly sell you for $142 image

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    I've got a Horlen Bobble Head Doll I'll sell you for $142.
  • Options
    I wonder what a #16 Carlos May card will bring when it hits the market. It has a pop of only 7 in PSA-9 and I haven't ever seen one on Ebay.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    MAY MANIA GRIPS COLLECTORS

I was wondering when someone was going to mention his card.
  • Options
    I too have been quiet on the matter of Mr. C. May image
  • Options
    If anybody knows Horlen's or May's address, please let me know. I'm going to break into their garage and steal all their beer and car wash buckets and put them on ebay!

I wish my momma fed me Kellogg's cereal instead of boobies when I was a kid. I take that back......
    It's all good...
  • Options
    JohnnyCocoa - it's not too late for anyone to become part of the K Klub, but please don't mention that milk thing again. Ok? Thanks image
  • Options
    Picked up 70K PSA 9 Stottlemyre and McLain last night for $14.50 and $12.50 respectively. Should I assume that these were cheap?...the going price?....or what? I'm afraid I have been pulled in by that 3D tractor beam as I cant take my eyes off my Fregosi !!
    Initially I thought I would do 3D just for fun; now I am now thinking about selling my car :-D
    Is this what happens?

Oh...and by the way...thanks Zardoz !
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    RayB - you're one of us now! There's no turning back. Don't even try. Just let the wind take you on the great Kellogg's 3-D journey.

Yes, those were very good prices and are not typical unless there's heavy supply on Ebay.

Zardoz - are you still spreading Kellogg's sunshine to the masses?
  • Options
    Yep

I'm the freakin' Johhny Appleseed of the 3-D world image
  • Options
    Aside from the Horlen and the C. May are there any other tough cards in 9? Any variations or SP's I need to worry about?
    RayB69Topps w/some K cards just for fun!
  • Options
    Here's another Horlen like craze...

'70 Kellogg's Kranepool PSA 8

That has to be a record price for a Kellogg's grade of 8.
  • Options
    RayB - there is only one variation, and you don't need to worry about it. One of Gibson's card has a blank space on one of the innings pitched on the back of the card. Probably the most insignificant thing in all of sports cards history.

Horlen and May are the current toughies, but there are some that are still a very good challenge to acquire. Do you have POP report access?
  • Options
    wow!
  • Options
    Gemmint - Yes I do; but I've been too busy staring at my Fregosi and talking to you guys to look at it!
    RayB69Topps w/some K cards just for fun!
  • Options
    Nice to have you on board Ray!
  • Options
    RayB - I understand completely. The initial 3-D mind blowing effects should start to ease off in about three days. There is absolutely no need to go to the Emergency Room.

Other toughies are Cullen, Singer, Reichardt, Powell,Epstein, Haller, Crawford, and Alou. Finally, even 1 of 20 pops can go for $50 at times so you just never know.
  • Options
    I like (I think) Rays write-up for his set on the registry

"Zardoz Made Me Do It! I Swear"

I plead innocent!
  • Options
    Too funny!

I love the name of the set too...

"The - Gee I Hate Corn Flakes But I Sure Love These Cards! - Ray Boehm Set - 19th Current Finest Set "

Of course Kellogg's Co. may not be too happy with that.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys - The write up, of course, is all in the spirit of fun.
    In case you didnt get a chance to read about my K card adventures as a kid I'll paste them here again in this post. Collecting this stuff is all about resurrecting my youth anyhow. Enjoy.

The 1970 Kelloggs set is overwhelming popular here; just look at the number of registrants to that set on the registry.
    As a kid I didnt pay that set any particular mind; probably because most of the product was inserted in Corn Flakes which I hated.
    1971 Kelloggs, however was a different story.
    My grammar school buddies collected the 71's and I would not be undone.
    I "choked down" those first couple of boxes of Corn Flakes at the rate of 2-3 bowls a day!
    This got old real fast especially if you "pulled" a Danny Cater for your troubles.
    My best friend and I had a brainstorm. We would pool our paper route resources, ride by bicycle, and buy boxes of Corn Flakes at the grocery store ( smallest box that still enclosed the card) and dig the card out and ditch the box in the dumpster behind the store. This way our Mom's wouldnt have to force us to eat any more but still not know what we were up to.. This clandestine operation lasted a couple three weeks and we quickly realized we couldnt keep up with the 71' king at school.
    Turned out he had 3 little brothers and they all loved Corn Flakes. Truth is those kids probably would have eaten the shingles off a house if it meant getting a Kelloggs card. I think their Mom always wondered how they were able to consume 1 box per day! It was amazing; every day at school this kid would be showing us a new card! Seaver, Gibson, McCovey, Rose this kid had them all!
    Oh for the good ol' days!
    Lo and behold Kelloggs is alive again thanks to PSA and those loyal 3D legionaires!
    I notice that only a couple of people are registered on the 1971 set. For obvious reasons I am drawn to the vibrant colors and clear photography of that particular issue. I'll ask the 3D'ers why they think there aren't more people collecting this set? I was thinking about jumping in, in a modest way.
    Hope you enjoyed the little story. :-)

RayB69Topps w/some K cards just for fun.
  • Options
    And "with a little help from my friends" I've jumped in. Thanks for the encouragement! Just remember "I'm Switzerland".
    RayB69Topps w/some Kcards just for fun.
  • Options

<< <i>Just remember "I'm Switzerland". >>

I don't know about that RayB. It sounds to me like you've just joined the Allied Forces.
  • Options
    Ray

It's all fun, and that's how we like it and keep it.

At the rate the collector base is expanding with this set, it is just a matter of time before the 1970 Kellogg's is the most popular set, not only on the registry, but on the entire planet. You heard it here first.

We are the "Masters of The Collecting Universe" !

• Options

<< <i>Yep

I'm the freakin' Johhny Appleseed of the 3-D world image >>

Z- If your the Johnny Appleseed of the 3D world then I guess that Gemmint is the Pied Piper of the 3 D world , tooting the laurels of the Kellogg's sets and having us follow him blindly into the sea of 3 D.

BOBimage
  • Options
    LMAO

Yup we're just a couple of fictional characters created by Kellogg's Co, kind of like Tony the Tiger.
  • Options
    BASESAREEMPTY - you inspired me to change my signature line image.

imageimage
  • Options
    Ouch,

I was the poor Sap who got outbid on this one ! Would have thought $130+ would have won it ... Definitely have some tough new bidders out there.....I am also seeing some new bidders on the 74 Kellogg's as well....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Luxury, you didn't go down without a good fight. We're all very proud of your effort.