Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Topps Baseball Registry is really heating up!

I just looked at the '69 Registry and noticed that Ron Hobbs just jumped into second place!

69 Registry

Great work Ron! I didn't realize you were that far along and looking at your set, you still may have more to add!

Ron Hobbs Set

I know myself and several others will be adding some cards we obtained at the National. It should be real interesting to see where the dust settles.

Comments

• Options
    DAN--
    AS YOU CAN SEE, I AM STILL REGISTERING CARDS IN THE SET. I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MY INDEX "TYPING" FINGER HEALS. MORE CARDS ARE AT PSA, BUT THEY WILL PROBABLY COME BACK AS PSA6's,PSA7's AND PSA8'S AS DID MOST OF MY DUPLICATE CARDS IN THE SET.

AN INTERESTING NOTE --WHEN I WAS TYPING IN THE PSA 8-DIDGIT NUMBERS , I COULD TELL FROM THE GROUPINGS OF SIMILAR NUMBERS, WHETHER THE CARD WAS AN 8 OR 9.??? IT SEEMED THAT ONE SUBMITTAL WAS CONSISTANTLY FAVORABLE AND ANOTHER WAS CONSISTANTLY UNFAVORABLE- EVEN GRADERS HAVE GOOD DAYS AND BAD DAYS-- RON
    TWINRON
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Ron,

You are indeed correct in that submissions can vary all over the place. It's happened to me many times where I thought they were too strict on their grades, so I broke them out and re-submitted them and had pretty good success overall.

As for me, I just noticed that I got my first invoice results from the National. For my '69 set: I got 22-9's, 40-8's and 3-7's for my set, so I'll make a bit jump shortly too. The Invoice is #8015731. I still have eleven more '69s that have to be graded on other invoices.
  • Options
    Guys:

Can someone elplain this to me please.

What is the appeal about the 1969 Topps BB set that so many people are doing it??

I honestly don't get it.

The only decent rookie in it is Jackson. The 2nd year cards of Bench and Ryan, and he last of Mantle if I am not mistaken.

So what does everyone see in this set that makes them want to do it?

Just curious.

Rob
  • Options
    Ron H - I extend my congratulations as well on the striking move! ... And while I'm at it, John C. has added quite a few nice cards recently too; tough ones also. Congratulations John on those cards!

Dude, your right. This is just such a great group of guys and the churn on this 69' registry has been good fun. I have a small batch of cards out to PSA right now myself. Some of them are really tough cards including the Shannon.

I have also been concentrating on upgrading some of my lower grade cards. I recently added a Ryan and Clemente PSA 8 to replace my 7's. I have been able to raise my GPA from 7.56 to 7.80 this calendar year with this ongoing effort.

Finally, in a greater or lesser way I can thank many members of the 69' registry for help along the way filling holes. I can definitively say that this set has brought me great joy the last five years especially recently having my set comrades here on the boards to share the effort with.

Warmest thanks specifically to Frank B, Bob C, Steve P, Ron S, Dan M, John C, Jay, Doug S, PSA and eBay dealers and Card Store Owners and anybody else I forgot for helping me add important cards to this set through sale or trade to get me to 75%. I still can't quite believe it.

It has been a wonderful five years getting to this point, basically brick by brick.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    White Letters, Mantle's last card, the "toughness" of the centering issues with this set, and a design that is attractive relative to the 1968 (burlap) and 1970 (blah gray) designs. I think it is a fun set, though I am not actively collecting it.

I was most surprised to see that four of the top five sets had been updated within the lats week. Talk about competition!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    robr1967,

I agree with what Mikeschmidt wrote and I'll just to add that this is a tough set to find in high grade and many cards have inherent centering problems. 1969 was the year they added the Expos, Padres, Royals and Pilots (now Brewers) to the league. This was also the last year they issued "combo cards", so it that sense it typifies the end of an era in vintage cards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of the seven different baseball sets that I collect, this group of collectors is by far the best. Not that the others are bad, in fact they are great guys too, but more business-like in their approach and they really don't take the time to chat about the set on this Board or directly by e-mail. I think there is a growing interest in this set and I haven't seen a drop off in prices in '69s lately compared to other years. I think this visible interaction is part of the reason.

Finally, I pretty much see this entire group of 5 going over the 70% mark pretty shortly. After that, it will really start to get interesting and then the real fun will begin! As gaspipe26 found out, the last 25% is very tough!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

I didnt sell the set because the last 25% were tough. I sold the set for the advance I received from Superior which is what I needed to consummate the transaction on the horses I purchased. Which I've done very well with. Yes the last 25% will be tough, it will be tough for everyone who needs them. Especially if I'm bidding also. Hint Hint. In the immortal words of the Terminator, "I'll be back".

• Options
    gaspipe26 (Bob),

Yes, you are correct. My message was not intended to imply that you gave up on collecting the set because of the overwhelming challenge.

<< <i>...I'll be back... >>

For some reason Bob, it never has seemed like you left. imageimage
  • Options
    I can see Bob C saying " Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in!". I thought you might still be in the hunt for '69s as I've run into you in a few auctions recently.

It will be interesting to see how the set list shapes up. There are a handful of cards that will be tough to locate in 8 or better. I'll likely settle for 7's and possibly even 6's for a few of the really tough cards. I just picked up an SGC92 Mike Shannon and plan to cross it over to PSA in hopes of getting an 8. Based on my crude measurement from the scan, it looks to be about 67-33 left to right. If the rest of the card is NM/MT+ or nicer, it would likely pull an 8 (fingers crossed).

Good job to everyone on the registry and keep up the good work.

Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    And we have a new King of the proverbial 69 mountain!

Looks like Mr. Ron Hobbs wants that Gold Star on October 31st!!!

But will this be the last of Ray Boehm? Does he have more cards waiting in the wings? And what of Bob Cacamese, our White Letter guru?

Stay Tuned! These questions and more will be answered on a registry Forum near you!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Wow! Ron H. really shot up there. Good job!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have 20% reaccumulated and 480 -1969's at PSA now. The horses had a real good August and I have money burning a hole in my pocket. I really regret selling the set to begin with, but it was the only option I had at the time if I wanted the new venture to happen. Prices are a little lower now, (maybe because my dopey ass hasnt been bidding) but we'll get them back up there. Some of the cards that are gone wont be able to be replaced with the same grade but we'll get there. I saw that 69 Shannon in SGC 92, I fell asleep. If you can get past the centering you might get the 8. I hope you do. I have a nice one thats well centered and a borderline 8. IT will probrably 7 but I can hope. I have a Satriano in now and a #8 Leader too. I had a Kekich but lost it somewhere at the National. Who's working on that Time Machine?
  • Options
    TO ALL 69ers-
    I AM NOT WORTHY- THE REAL 69 TOPPS COLLECTORS ARE BOEHM , GASPIPE26 (BOB CACAMESE), DAN MERKEL ,JOHN CONSTANTINO, AND RON SANDERS, ET AL--

THANKS FOR MY 15 MINUTES OF FAME--RON
    TWINRON
  • Options
    Ron,

Congratulations on your recent advance. Your set is pretty impressive. I look forward to watching the refinement of your collection as it evolves. The population report reflects that many high grade cards are entering the market. Thus, I anticipate that there will be some more nice collections arriving soon.

Ron Sanders
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    TwinRon-

You are a humble, humble man. You have a very nice run of cards from more than one decade. I think that your run of sets probably compares very well with the likes of Charlie, Marshall and Davalillo. Just because you haven't gotten all your commons graded yet does not mean that you are not right up there. From everything I have seen and heard, you have a great collection to speak of.

Additionally, you are a very nice person to deal with.

Plus -- you are probably one of the few posters here who has been featured in the SMR magazine.

Thanks for being one of the nice guys of the hobby-
    Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Ron S -
    I have also noticed some jumps in the 69' POP report spread across some previously real tough cards. It should be interesting and quite exciting as to what the 69' POP report looks like after the special ends and anxious last minute registrants disclose some of the previously unpublicized set material.
    We should also get a really good feel for which tough cards continue to be stubborn holdouts in high grade.
    I'll continue my search.
    RayB69Topps
  • Options
    RayBShotz,

At the national, Peter Eilenberg had an astonishing 1969 partial set with all the high-grade cards slabbed in GAI holders. This was the same set that Bob Cacamese recovered the Al Weis and Art Shamsky in Mint condition. What was interesting about this collection is that Peter purchased it from a collector at the Ft. Washington show. It's obvious that the original owner was meticulous in creating the set, but chose never to have it slabbed. This observation gives credance to the theory that high end cards continue to exist in private collections and not in the encapsulated form. In addition, reputable well-known hobbyists continue to have large inventories of high- grade unslabbed 1969 cards; such as, Daniel Haddock, Larry Fritisch and Bob Cacamese to name a few. It would behoove many 1969 enthusiasts to familiarize themselves with the cards that tend to be difficult to find with good centering/condition[This was already addressed in a previous post]. It is likely that the "vending" run high-grade cards will continue to rise in population and experience a tremendous fall in demand.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Ron S - Interesting footnotes about the circulation of our beloved 69's. Cant say that that surprises me. Your advise to hunt down the tough ones is right on.

I noticed just before I came to the boards that the first 7 registrants in the 69' set all have the red UPDATED banner next to their set. The activity as Dude says "is indeed heating up". Sure is fun!

RayB69Topps
  • Options
    Mitochondria and RayB,

In addition to Peter Eilenberg's find, I was fortunate to find a dealer at the National that just bought and broke up an extremely nice well-centered, high grade '69 set. I bought 60 cards for $350 which wasn't cheap, but the cards were stunning (22 graded "9" and most were low pop 9's). Mitochondria bought some of the remaining cards the following day. Another dealer at the National also bought a fairly nice '69 set and broke it up but Steve Pekovich ravaged through most of it before I got a shot at it.

So yes, more high quality stuff is coming out, but I'm not sure that a lot of the lower pop cards are surfacing thus making it very tough to complete that last 25%.

I made a copy of the Pop Report at the beginning of August, a few days before going to the National. I'll dig it up and post the total number of cards graded. From that we'll be able to track how many cards have been graded since.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude - That must be the same dealer I came across at the Tri-Star show yesterday. He had several nice '69s including a PSA 9 Drysdale and B. Robby and mentioned the high grade partial set and the fact that he sold the commons at the National. I did manage to get the McCovey All Star PSA 8 from him. I'm surprised that one survived the National. It's a pop 4 and very tough due to centering. If I only hadn't had the Willie Horton All Star get lost in the mail enroute to me, I'd have the entire All Star set in PSA 8. image
  • Options
    I found a print-out of a '69 Topps baseball Pop Report
    from 8/2/02.

Here are the total populations for 8/2/02:

Total: 28498, 10s: 134, 9s: 3813, 8s: 12842

Here are the total populations for 9/3/02:

Total: 32039, 10s: 173, 9s: 4769, 8s: 14402.

Wow! That's a pretty big jump! So in the past month
    here's what's been graded:

Total: 3541
    10s: 39
    9s: 956
    8s: 1560

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Wow...those are scary numbers for one month. The good news (from collecting perspective) is that the prices of 8's and 9's are sure to come down. The future seems a bit unclear from an investment perspective.
  • Options
    Good news/bad news. Good news is I should be able to buy cards to fill in my set at lower prices. Bad news is the 300 or so '69's I just submitted will likely not return my investment.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    69TOPPSers
    MY TAKE IS THAT THE"SELLING/BUYING" PRICES WILL COME DOWN A LITTLE, BUT THE SMR PRICES WILL INCREASE. THE SMR PRICES OF $5, $12, $30 FOR 7's, 8's, and 9's FOR COMMONS ARE NOT REALISTIC REGARDLESS OF THE "POP HYPE"--- ONLY A NEOPHYTE's OPINION--RON H.
    TWINRON
  • Options
    Ron Hobbs,

Once again: Wow! and Double Wow! You are really making a strong surge towards a complete set! The last 20% is very difficult and you seem to be breezing through a lot of those tough cards with little trouble. Congratulations! (He's over 90% on the Master Set!!)
  • Options
    Ron H - Show us to the promised land ! 90% is truly amazing considering how difficult it is to get some of the cards you have accumulated in high grade. Congratulations on your impressive rise!

RayB69Topps