Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Reformation medal

I thought you'd enjoy looking at this medal/token I came across.

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    That's a cool token. Now I need to get my Latin dictionary. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Shiroh, I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for the token. I can assure you that the Latin inscriptions are not in any way charitable to the Pope or the Catholic Church.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Perverse Church _____ Diabolical Face?
    Obscurum per obscurius
    I am not "professionally" schooled in Latin, but my best guess is:

Obverse: The corrupt Church carries out the work of the devil.

Reverse: Always impairing the knowledge of truth.
    Always mocking/inhibiting wisdom.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Watch out Jester, or you'll end up having to co-author Shiroh's future book on Reformation medals! imageimageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a cool token. Now I need to get my Latin dictionary. >>

Well, there is THIS...

(I just put that one in the "Useful Links" section of my eBay page.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Askari, that's ok, I guess, if he gives me half of the royalties! And I just thought he was doing a research report. Actually I thought he'd want to offer to buy it for $7.65 million (it's unique, perhaps).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• << <i>I thought you'd enjoy looking at this medal/token I came across. >>

A fascinating piece - first one I've ever seen. I assume from the "854" that this is taken from an auction catalogue. What does the lot description say?
    Rublevik, you're right, the scan comes from an auction catalog. It's listed under medals/tokens, and in the "Germany" section. The description only repeats the latin inscriptions and tells the diameter and weight of the token.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    INFORMATIONAL RESURRECTION

Jester, even though your image of this medal is no longer viewable I thought you might like to know that I ran into the listing for it:

"Germany, Naumburg. Anti-Papal satirical medal (1543). AR, 35 mm.
    Double head of Pope and Devil. Reverse: Double head of Cardinal and
    jester. Zak-408, Belli-1577. Circa 18th century cast"
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I thought I posted in this thread way back in 2002?image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    It's hell getting old, huh? I can't believe I remembered this thread and the medal...I can't even remember my phone number.
    Cacheman, I bet your remember the phone number of your lawyer...image

That's great info!! Thank you so much for helping clear up the mystery. Does your reference book have pictures? Does it say how rare the thing is?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

Joseph Lepczyk auction #54, Greater NY Numismatic Convention, New York City Sept 29-Oct 1 1983. Lot 1765. Described as a cleaned VF & estimated at $100+. I don't have the prices realized, so don't know if it sold or what it brought.

The lot description doesn't comment on rarity, but I think it is a reasonably rare piece. It's such a distinctive design I think I'd remember it if it turned up often, but maybe I just don't get the catalogs where it is offered. Sorry
    my specialty.
    I didn't think this medal was cast. But how can one be sure?

I'd guess my piece is also VF and cleaned. So I wonder if it's the same one??

Jester/clown/fool

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

Send it to me for an "expert" opinion image The price, of course, would be the piece itself...I like satiricals...heheh
    Here is the scan for the Joseph Lepczyk auction #54 catalog:

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    And then, of course, there is this version...

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
    okay, so which one is it Jester?
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd bring this back, since jester is back to his "jester" icon.

You can still see the image on jester's challenge #26.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
    "okay, so which one is it Jester?" --Cacheman

Well, it's the Lepczyk auction type, as you can see, but mine is more worn than that particular token. It appears to me to be the exact same die, don't you think? Now I know mine is not unique; there's at least one other specimen extant.

I didn't know I'd missed all the commentary back in March--I've been in a sort of internet blackout since March. Thanks for all the useful comments, folks.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD