Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is PCGS circling the drain?

I recently checked out the annual report and was surprised to see that PCGS is not in such good shape financially. In fact, their 2002 annual report should be out soon for comparison. What would the effect be on PCGS coins if they were to go down the drain - any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Well, I would suggest that any coin that you think is due for a grade guarantee submission should be done so soon. I suspect that the value of coins in the holders will keep their value and may even appreciate with time, especially without finger prints.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CU is far from going broke. They definitely had a rough year, but have got it back to cashflow positive. If push came to shove, they could jettison quite a lot of expenses (such as the Registry and chatroom) and turn a profit in short order. The reason they don't is that Wall Street would punish them even more than for showing a loss. Gotta have that pie in the sky big profits to keep the investors happy.
  • Options
    Last I looked, no long-term debt, and plenty of current assets. They are still growing, so it may be a while before they turn a profit.

I think PCGS would continue or would be bought out by somebody else. But I think PCGS coins can stand alone. They have that reputation. "Buy the coin, not the holder" in case the coin has to stand on its own merits.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I've read and reread their financials that were released on 8/22. Like most financial statements they are a starting point to asking a lot of questions. What makes it difficult to analyze the P&L and Balance Sheet, besides not knowing what actually makes up the breakdown of their inventory, is that there are not many companies out their to compare their performance with. What we need to know is how well the company is doing relative to others who do the same thing. The ratios are compared with service related companies and if you look at the companies used in the comparison, they are all over the board in what they do.

Anyway, what stands out to me other than they are not making a profit, is the balance sheet items and a few of the turn ratios, meaning often do they turn over their inventory and receivables. They are important because they indicate how efficient a company is in employing their cash to make a profit. If you look at their inventory turn (if we knew what their inventory consisted of, we could make more sense of it) they lag other services industries. Their turn is 3.41 compared to the industry turn of 23.7, sector turn of 15.99 and S&P turn of 10.45 times. This means that the industry is turning over their inventory 7 time more often a year. Simply this means that cash is not being used efficiently as others (cash pays for inventory purchases).

A/R turn is running 4.37 compared to 7.12 times for the industry, 16.35 times for the sector and 9.35 for the S&P. Again not an efficient use of cash. Receivables are what your customers owe to you, obivously they have chosen to allow their customers to use their cash for a long time (it would be interesting to see a list of their customers).

We do not know what their inventory consists of or the terms their customers get or who they are. These are all items that would be important to know in order to fully analyze what is going on within the company. TDN I doubt whether what Wall Street has to say about the company has much influence as institutional holdings only account for 12.4% of ownership. My guess is that this company is closely held.

As a side note it's not long term debt that you should be concerned with, in fact companies often scramble to increase long term debt and decrease short term debt. This company has plenty of cash to meet it's short term obligations and since it has very little in the way of fixed assets, there shouldn't be long term debt.

What could I glean from all of this, not all that much other than a lot of questions need to be asked, which is always the case when reviewing financial statements. The company saw sales decrease 16% from the previous year (they state mostly due to downturn in the card market). There are only three ways to increase profits, increase sales to more effectively cover overhead, increase prices or decrease expenses. Obviously it's difficult in this business to go out and increase sales, unless you have fewer competitors. Increase prices, another tough one to do as long as their is a viable competitor or competitors out their. They would have to garner a larger part of the market, i.e. increase market share. That might be possible, any one have some ideas? One way to increase earnings is to let the market increase the value of your inventory, perhaps if it's coins and again we don't know what their inventory consists of. Let's say for fun it is coins. If we toughen up our grading standards, especially on moderns, which seem to be the bulk of their submissions, doesn't it make our inventory more valuable? Just a crazy thought.

In a service industry the major costs is usually salaries and wages. I am all for the owners cutting salaries if they are out of line, but we do not know that and we certainly don't want them to cut back on personel. If anything we want them to become more efficient, perhaps be able to look at more submissions on a daily basis. Does this ring a bell?

This was what we call in the banking industry a down and dirty analyzis of the financials and questions we would ask if they applied for bank credit, so take it for what it is worth. To me it raises some interesting questions and points out how difficult their task ahead may lay. Is the company going done the drain hardly. But with the new rules on writing down goodwill & they have a lot of goodwill on their balance sheet (goodwill is the difference between book value of a company and what someone paid for the assets) I don't see large profits looming in the short run.
  • Options
    Wow, Mike - great analysis!

You are correct about them letting their customers use their money - that's how they turned a profit. B&M would essentially be a large bank, lending the remaining IPO cash to the purchasers and consignors of its auctions. That's why A/R turns are so low and interest earned is so high.
  • Options
    Let me be more specific. They do not have an overabundance of cash. Only $5 million. Their annual requirement for cash is significantly more than that. Their financials already disclosed that they will have to liquidate inventory to meet certain requirements. They are losing money and they have yet to write off the lions share of their goodwill. I realize goodwill is a non cash item, but they will likely post losses in the next two years. They could go back to the equity markets, but now is not a good time to be doing this. I for one think there is trouble on the horizon. Can the economy save them? Who knows. Will they loosen up their grading to attract business. If so, I sure hope I don't miss the initial rush!!!!! Now that NGC has turned up the heat on the registry by making theirs usable, could we soon start to see a switch in collector preferences? I know all you diehard PCGS fans (?) would never switch loyalty especially based on the cost of reholdering all your stuff. But more to my initial point - if PCGS dried up and blew away, all the registry activities (possibly going away first in a cost cutting mode) could have a significant impact on market values - couldn't they?
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Now that NGC has turned up the heat on the registry by making theirs usable, could we soon start to see a switch in collector preferences? I know all you diehard PCGS fans (?) would never switch loyalty especially based on the cost of reholdering all your stuff. But more to my initial point -

No switch, because NGC is lousy on grading moderns. Way too lax. The saying "Buy the coin, not the holder" is true. However, it is also true, that most of the time the "coin" will be in a PCGS holder. If you have looked at a lot of copper, you know what I mean for sure. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    No switch, because NGC is lousy on grading moderns. Way too lax. The saying "Buy the coin, not the holder" is true. However, it is also true, that most of the time the "coin" will be in a PCGS holder. If you have looked at a lot of copper, you know what I mean for sure. Mark

Modern copper, I take? I recently bought a pair of NGC Large Cents because they were nicer than anything in a PCGS holder. I plan to keep them in NGC because I'm tired of trying to get crossovers when the quality of the coins is better than what I see in PCGS holders, but PCGS still refuses to cross them.
    Keith ™

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only three ways to increase profits, increase sales to more effectively cover overhead, increase prices or decrease expenses. Obviously it's difficult in this business to go out and increase sales, unless you have fewer competitors. Increase prices, another tough one to do as long as their is a viable competitor or competitors out their. They would have to garner a larger part of the market, i.e. increase market share. That might be possible, any one have some ideas?

They could adapt to NGC's "star" wars designation.

Seriously, I would consider crossovers to PCGS if their $30 submission fee was cut in half. This may be where they screwed up if they have been inflating the weiny out of their fees. Gee, maybe that's why
    the moderns subs are out numbering the pre 70's subs......did I get that right? image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    lincolnSence, I think that you and I are agreement, they don't have an abundance of cash, they have no bank debt, makes me wonder if they have a credit line. All debt is currend debt which puts pressure on cash and their customers are using them as a bank. It's very unusual to see a company that large with no long term debt, that can be either good or bad. The devil is always in the details of financial statement, i.e the footnotes. One thought did occur to me, demand can increase sales on the other hand if your inventory becomes more valuable, assuming its coins then income will increase. Might be one reason for tightening grading standards especially on moderns. Maybe the two aren't related but it deserves some thought.
  • Options
    They have no line of credit. I don't doubt they could get one on receivables.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, I would consider crossovers to PCGS if their $30 submission fee was cut in half. This may be where they screwed up if they have been inflating the weiny out of their fees.

Economy cross-over is $15.00

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    New theory - the difficulty in receiving high (or even appropriately graded) coppers from PCGS is fueled by their cost cutting efforts in managing their P & L. Let me explain........... Everytime they add high grade copper items they need to increase their warranty reserve. Everytime they increase their warranty reserve they reduce their P & L. Makes cents to me. Any thoughts or actual knowledge out there?
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Lincoln sence They don't need much cash to buy back overgraded copper because they don't overgrade copper anymore.The census has been ,if anything,that they either grade appropriately or undergrade it.

If you had been grading coins at pcgs five to ten years ago,they had to buy back more than they cared to which is the probable reason it is VERY hard to make an ms 68 or impossible to make a proof 70 D cameo Lincoln
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    PCGS can never have financial problems as they have the ability to print there own money. Think about it.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, let's think of who would want to buy PCGS. I think ACG would love to buy the PCGS name. lol

David
  • Options
    ok Datentype, I have thought about it and I still don't understand what you mean.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I'm not sure this is the place to discuss dirty business practice and I'm sure pcgs is 100% clean but theoretically when one controls the grade they can control the bennies.