Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Recommendations on dealers for PQ Modern proof coins.

I am starting 3 registry sets on modern proofs. Who are the best dealers for the highest quality modern proofs. Do not mind paying a premium for a premium coin.

Comments

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Not sure where you start modern, but I will assume 1950 and later.

Rick Tomaska. Great quality. Specializes in 50 - 63. Will negotiate prices to some degree.

Tulving. Best prices on modern commems and bullion. Great quality as well.

CameoCC. Good quality. Prices between R&I and Tulving.

DHRC. Good selection. Prices a bit high.

Jeff Werlin. 1950 - 1964. Specializes in R&I backyard and prices a bit less.

Don't forget Wondercoin.

Much modern proof is sold on ebay and Teletrade, so keep a watch there, but buyer beware.

This is really a fun area.

Cheers

Greg
  • Options
    Thanks Typetone, primarily interested in Franks, Ikes, and SBA`s
  • Options
    David Lawrence also a pretty good selection. Tomaska is the king of proof Franklins, but look around as well. Wingsrule on this Board may have a few Franklins to sell. Can probably find nice IKEs and SBAs by putting out a wantlist right on this board. I have a 74S silver IKE in PCGS 69DCAM to sell right. Has a touch of peripheral toning. PM me if interested.

Greg
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Rookie,

Greg's right - I can probably help you with some nice proof Franklins (Greg - this statement applies to you as well, if you're back into Franklins)

I have personally dealt with everyone on his list except Tulving and David Lawrence. No problems with any of them - top shelf.

Mark
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>primarily interested in Franks, Ikes, and SBA`s >>

*Sigh of relief*image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    You mean you don't want to compete against Russ in the Kennedy proof set?image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    See, Russ? You shoulda told LW the price of that half! image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    If you want quality, go to R&I Coins (Rick Tomaska). OUTSTANDING QUALITY.

R&I Coins

I have bought most of my modern proof cameos from him, and I have nothing but praise. He specializes in 1950-1970 proof cameos, across all denominations. Franklins are his super specialty, both MS and proof. He occasionally sells later dates, and I know he sells a lot of Ikes. Not sure about SBA's.

Look through his website to find out what he's selling. He does a lot of business on ebay, and offers a return policy.

Good Luck.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    I have a grand total of two proofs for sale on my site right now, but both are premium coins -- an exceptionally well frosted SBA and this nice 72-S Ike:

I have another PR69 of the same date (not listed) that used to be in a PCGS PR70 holder that you can have for the same price, but it's not as nice. image
  • Options
    Ah, why not... just listed the former PCGS PR70 Ike too. And you get 10% off your first web site purchase. Buy all 3 coins and get a free steak knife.
  • Options
    Tad aka Supercoin:

Get that proof IKE back in a 70 holder and I'll take all three. And, you can keep the knife.image
    You probably didn't realize when you got it downgraded that IKE 70DCAM buyers don't care about the coin, just the plastic.

Baseball and Rookie:

Actually never dealt with Saltzman. Jim Barlow recently moved to Florida. He still deals IKEs big time. His email was kenctr@juno.com. If it doesn't work, PM me tomorrow at work, and I can give you his new phone number.

Greg

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    now I'm depressed.............. Went and looked at R&I's site.................... image

Too much there I will never be able to afford.
    imageimage

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    GA,

I share your pain. I always put on a bib before visiting his site. So much beauty and so little money.

Russ, NCNE