Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry "etiquette"

Is it OK to email someone from the registry about obtaining a card from their set? Or, is it OK to start a thread about cards I am looking for? It seems that more people on this site can fill a need quicker than Vintage Card Trading can, as more vintage collectors are on this area or so it seems.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    If your looking for a vote...It is OK with me.

Carlos
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Do what you want, then ask forgiveness if someone complains (and someone likely will complain).

If a registry member lists his email addy, shoot him an email -- no big deal.

Buy, sell, trade here is a little sensitive, but if directly tied to the registry you can generally get by with it...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    It's okay, but remember that these people don't really want to sell their cards. In mosts case they worked very hard to obtain the card. In many cases they have the card because they paid a lot for the card. They really don't want to have to come up with a price, or play games back and forth with a bargain hunter. If you want something they have, include the price you are willing to pay with your inquiry. If they take your offer, then great. If not, don't take it personally.
  • Options

It's easier to ask permission than to ask forgiveness. I say (1) email them from the Registry first, if they display their address. (2) Post on Buy-Sell-Trade and wait a couple of days for a response. (3) Post here, asking someone to PM you.

I don't think it's right to clutter up this forum with posts that rightly belong to another forum.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I don't think there's anything wrong with asking.
    1) If the participant was that worried about it, he can hide his e-mail address.
    2) Just because someone asks, doesn't mean he has to say yes. It doesn't even mean he has to respond either way.

That said, if you do ask be polite and don't force the issue. Repeated e-mails asking about the same card will probably just encourage the person not to deal with you.

*drops $0.02*

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I email people ALL the time with trade or sale offers...if the person on the registry isn't interested...they can remove their email from view with the click of a button. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927

If the person on the registry displays their email address by all means ask the question. I have gotten cards by asking and by people emailing me their extras. If the person does not want to be emailed they have the option to not only hide their address but also to hide their sets. Ask away.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    I post my email and show my cards specifically so people can contact me if they have anything I need, or if they want to trade or buy. Helping each other out, and horse trading is some of the best part about collecting baseball cards. But i agree with others, be polite, and don't push things.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Ditto to all of the above. That is one of the great benefits of the Registry.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the assistance, still do not know if I feel comfortable with it.

I am not a "bargain hunter", just looking for 2 cards that I have not seen on ebay and no dealer seems to have. So here they are ....

- a nice1961 Mantle PSA 7
    - 1938 Goudey Joe Dimaggio PSA 3-4

The searching is the fun part
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I have no problem with someone emailing me... Make me feel good when people want something out of your set... But don't touch my 72's Football.. The answer is heck no..
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I have a nice ... high end PSA 7 1961 Topps Mantle available. Email me at cowart@mindspring.com and I will provide a scan.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>But don't touch my 72's Football.. The answer is heck no.. >>

G-J,
    At least your answer wouldn't be to cut the guy's throat, then stalk his half-naked girlfriend through the woods...

Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey