Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NGC gives up the Crown Jewels

...and reveals the details behind their weighting structure.

Including what each coin in a series for every grade will give you point-wise, and where you stand compared to others.
Keith ™

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Great! image Now I have nothing to bit@h about over there! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Great! Now I have nothing to bit@h about over there!

You'll find something, I'm sure. image
    Keith ™

• Options
    Cool. I'll start looking at proof Rooseys again.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I'm heading over right now to take a look. Bye bye!!

Greg
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    According to them, the following Franklins all have equal weights:

1950 64DC PCGS pop 3/1 (only 4 graded - in any grade)
    1950 66CA pop 15/1
    1954 67DC pop 23/3
    1962 69DC pop 7/0

Hmmm.......
  • Options
    where exactly is this information please?
  • Options
    Pretty neat! Lemme add up what i got and see where I would be......
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool over there now. Going into the Registry is enjoyable. The page that shows all of the Up-dates for all Sets is Neat as Hell in my book. Super improvements !!! I am Impressed and this is coming from a guy that bashed them fairly well a few months ago.

Have not checked thier weighting yet but that is secondary to the other improvements.

Kenimage
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip Keith. Haven't checked the registry in a while. Much better than the bar graphs; they kind of left me scratching my head.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

I looked at just one coin for one set (1939-D nickel) to see how things looked. It is
    interesting to note that while NGC allows PCGS coins into their registry, it looks like
    NGC Star (*) coins will outscore PCGS coins of the same grade. That seems reasonable
    since it is their registry and they want to promote their services!

I like being able to click on the date and see the population and scoring system for
    all possible grades for that date. The 1939-D FS blew up, however, and wouldn't
    display for me.

All in all, some very nice changes to their registry!

Ken

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith:

The 64D Kennedy you sold Me carries 20 times the weight over there than my 17P Walker. The NGC weights are still Whacked out of shape IMO. I will keep my mouth shut though.

Ken
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like NGC has a minimum value for a coin before it gets more than a token weight.

Ken - don't forget your 1917 half is scored like a common date for type set purposes. An AU date in the 40's is probably only worth $5-10. (But an MS65 Kennedy ain't worth $80, tho!)
  • Options
    Ken,

There are a few instances where the points for a Modern are out of line with their value. I have e-mailed NGC on a few asking that the points be reduced for those moderns. The one that initially caught my eye was the 1971-1974 Ike in silver clad. In MS-68, the coin gets almost 2,000 points, but it's a $200 coin tops.

The system in place is good, and just requires some tweaking to get everything going right.
    Keith ™

• Options
    We could never have seen any anomolies before. It is good for NGC to open up. They can get other eyes looking at the numbers. Naturally these eyes will notice problems in their sets image This is sure to make for a more accurate system.