Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Crossover results & turnaround

Results are already in from a small "Economy" submission that arrived at PSA last Monday.
So I'd say they're on top of things out there.

A few of the cards I sent were crossovers from other companies.

1) A T-205 ASA 8 received a PSA 6. Very happy with that, considering.
2) A '38 Goudey ASA 7 received a PSA 6 as well. Happy with that as well since I had requested no qualifiers and expected it to get knocked down to a 5.
3) A '38 Goudey SG[C] 80 received a PSA 5.

I was a little disappointed with the SGC crossover dropping a grade. But that was offset by the better than expected ASA crossover results. I'm curious what success others have had crossing over from ASA. I would have been satisfied with them dropping 3 grades. Was I expecting too little? Is ASA semi-reliable in this respect?

The other pleasant surprise I got was a 1951T Red Back Monte Irvin coming up as a PSA 8. I wasn't really sure what to expect from it. And seeing how most of my expected 8s come back as 7s, getting an 8 when I wasn't really expecting one is a nice feeling.

Sent in a batch for the current special a few days earlier than this batch - no results for that one yet.

Comments

• Options
    If you know what you're doing when selecting cards, you can do well crossing cards over from any holder. When you mentioned ASA, I feared the worst, but you did fantastic. A lot has to do with where you got the cards too. If you sent them in yourself, or bought them from somebody who sent them in not knowing any better, you are more likely to do okay. If you bought them from a dealer or collector who knows how to play the game, your results won't be as good.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I got 12 1933 Goudey's graded by ASA at the 99 National (dont ask me why) - 10 came back as ASA 6, and 2 came back as trimmed!. I did know however that all the cards were legit as they came from Sportscards plus and the original owner was there at the show to verify the legitimacy. They offered me a full refund on the 2 cards but I just kept them. I later cracked the 10 and sent all 12 to PSA - they came back 8 PSA 6's, 3 PSA 5's and a PSA 3. I was thrilled.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Unfortunately, every ASA card I obtained from Alan Hager auctions came back "altered" or "trimmed" from PSA. PSA was kind enough to show me the areas where the cards had been "doctored". Complaints to Hager, of course, went unanswered.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I have only purchased one ASA graded card and I purchased it with the intent of crossing it over to PSA for one of my sets. It was a 1927 Churchman Tobacco Card in ASA 8 and it crossed over to a PSA 7. A PSA 7 was what I was expecting, but I will have to admit I was a little worried until the grade was posted online.
    JW
  • Options
    "I got 12 1933 Goudey's graded by ASA at the 99 National (dont ask me why) - 10 came back as ASA 6, and 2 came back as trimmed!. I later cracked the 10 and sent all 12 to PSA - they came back 8 PSA 6's, 3 PSA 5's and a PSA 3"

so are you saying that psa graded 2 cards that you know for a fact are trimmed?

is that what you are saying?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Tucker-

Most people do not submit cards for grading if they know they are trimmed. Many pre-war cards were not made with the same sophisticated processes that are used in current cards. Thus, there is often some debate/questions as to whether or not a card has been trimmed. It is certainly not unusal (though perhaps not commonplace either) to have two different grading companies having a difference of opinion on whether or not a card has been trimmed. Heck -- you can send the same card into the same grading company twice and they may say it is trimmed the first time and not trimmed the second time.

Overall -- this has been discussed before, I think most collectors would rather have PSA/SGC/whomever return an authentic/unaltered card as "evid. of trim" than encapsulate a card that has been trimmed.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    MLTucker - no, not at all. Again, the cards were all clean, ASA just guessed that 2 of them trimmed. When I bought the cards from Sportscardsplus, the person who had originally owned them since the late 40's happened to be there and we all spoke. Unless the cards were trimmed in the 1940's then they were clean. I don't think trimming cards in the 40's was a widely known practice. Just because ASA said they were trimmed does not mean the cards were trimmed. It was just a testament to their lack of knowledge on the slight cut differentials that were typical of 33 Goudey's.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I just had my first bad experience in the crossover game. One of my customers bought SGC 86's on Kaline (came back as altered), Joe Black (came back as a 6), Kazanski (came back as a 7)...

I have had really good luck on others that I have crossed more recently:

1968 Weis SGC 96 to PSA 10
    1969 Frisella SGC 96 to 9
    and a few other 1968's that were 1:1 mappings.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    My recent submission with several crossovers
    yeilded both Very Good and Very Dissapointing results.
    (although I was trying an experiment into some real
    "Off Brand" gradings... so I was all-in-all very pleased)

TFA 9 1987 Topps Traded Greg Maddux = PSA 10
    (The Final Authority grading)

IKON 7 1981 TOPPS Ozzie Smith = PSA 8oc

BCCG 9 1983 Donruss Wade Boggs RC = PSA 8

MINT grading 9 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey RC = PSA 8

SGC 92 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux = Not Holdered - due to Recoloring!

imageimage
  • Options
    What is the best way to break out a card from the holder? I have a couple of SGC's that I was thinking about doing that with. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the best way to break out a card from the holder? I have a couple of SGC's that I was thinking about doing that with. Any help would be appreciated. >>

How to open a graded card slab
    imageimage