Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is Ebay a good place to...

find cards in raw form to get submitted to PSA? Pretty new at this and I was wondering it anyone out there has some good or bad experiences w/ this.

Comments

• Options
    My opinion is it is a shot in the dark. Nothing compares to being able to hold a card and expect it before purchase.

I got lucky once, purchasing a raw 69 Ryan that eventually ended up getting a 9 (miscut though).

I know there are success stories out there, but they probably outweigh the stories where Ebay sellers over graded in their descriptions.

Buyer beware!

Mark
  • Options
    ebelscards - I probably don't have nearly the experience with this as most members of this forum but over the past 2 months I have bought about a dozen 1965 cards that were all labeled mint in auctions and looked great in the scans. After receiving the cards I believe that 2 would probably grade psa 8 with the others being nm. It's so hard to tell by scans and I believe that many people drastically misrepresent their cards. I honestly didn't expect mint cards but I really thought they would at least be nm/mt. I would deduct 1-2 grades from whatever is represented.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like betting on the longshot, buying raw cards on eBay is the game for you. I usually deduct a minimum of 1 grade and usually two grades from what the buyer claims. Just search for how many vintage cards are advertised as "Gem Mint" and that will give you an idea of what you're up against.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am at 100% picking PSA 3-4 1933 Goudeys (how hard is that though) but I would never buy anything that I would be looking to grade an 8 or 9. It happens, but I have heard horror stories as well. In person is the best, with a loupe, and better yet, permission from the dealer to take it to the PSA booth to have them look at it.

I do not buy from dealers on ebay who are selling PSA 1-10 cards, and then are selling raw cards as well. There may be a reason they are not graded, if you know what I mean. One dealer actually put "PSA reject" on his listing and I thought that was very cool to do.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    From my experiences......usually dealers on eBay will overgrade cards....unless they are very familer with PSA standards.
    I agree that you can usually deduct a grade or two from what the dealer lists.
    I have on the other hand lucked out a few times in the past....most notably when I was high bidder on a 1963 Topps #576 Johnny Temple listed to be in NM condition....Paid $1.75 for it.....sent it to PSA and got an 8!!!
    Also.....there was another time I was high bidder on a 1963 Topps #4 A. L. Homerun leaders listed as NM.....paid $4.00 for it...it also came back an 8.

So....it is a gamble
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."