Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 Topps Question

I have some 1964 Topps baseball in the PSA 7-8 range. However, the 'cartoon window' on the back has been sratched off.
How does this affect PSA's grading?
1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    From the 1964 Topps registry page --

The 587-card 1964 Topps set is collectible for a number of reasons. While it may not exhibit the difficulty of the 1962 or 1963 Topps set, this Topps issue is deceptively tough. The orange/pink reverse is very susceptible to chipping and the trivia "rub-off" question is often tampered with. Both obstacles can cause condition problems. In addition, the front was often cut off-center with varying degrees of print quality. Advanced collectors will notice that many of these cards are found with varying appearances. Some have nice registration and white borders while others are found with blurred photos and "dirty" or gray looking borders. As far as keys are concerned, the Mickey Mantle and Roberto Clemente cards immediately come to mind, the Clemente residing in the tougher high-number series. Other interesting cards like the Phil Niekro rookie and various combo cards that feature the great stars of the day like A.L. Bombers (Mantle, Maris, etc.) and Tops in the N.L. (Aaron and Mays) are also included. All in all, this is a nice set that offers a slightly more affordable alternative to some of the other sets of the decade.

I also searched the CU archives but couldn't find any references to grading out the 1964s. I would suggest emailing someone on the 1964 registry and ask them...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    I have seen 64's graded "8" with the cartoon rubbed off.
  • Options
    This may be a little late for you, Guffy.

I had the same question when I started my '64 set. I got the same response you did. That 8s are possible with cartoon "rubbed". In fact, I have one or two myself that I acquired already graded.

However ..... I recently sent in 19 '64s to be graded with the Set Registry Special. After looking them over closely (but without serious magnification), I generally expected 7s. I figured I'd miss by one either way.

My results: 6 PSA 8s, 7 PSA 7s, 5 PSA 6s (1 was actually a 7Q but I had requested NQ), and 1 PSA 5.

So everything was within my one deviation allowance except one. And that one just happened to be the only card of the lot with an exposed cartoon. Just a coincidence? Possibly. But I suspect not.

I can't say that it was dropped down that far simply because the cartoon was rubbed. It's probable that some rubbings can leave more damage than others. Did the person rub too hard on this particular card and leave surface indentations, whereas the person who rubbed my "8" was more gentle? I can't say for sure, but if I ever consider sending in a rubbed card again, I will look even more closely at that cartoon for any marks that dig into the cardboard.

Just something for '64 collectors to think about before sending those rubbed cards in.