Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Super Set Registries vs Collector Set Registry.

Not saying that the people involved are not collectors but do we need a Super Set Registry for Very High Dollar Sets and a Registry for Lower Dollar sets so a High Dollar set cannot be beat out of a Ranking because of the Completion factor ?

The registrant would post his/her set into the catagory he/she wishes to build. PCGS would review these and if a Low Dollar set reaches a point where it qualifies for High Dollar it automatically gets changed to the other catagory.

Comments

• Options
      now that is an interesting idea.....would fit my set just right......lol
      Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
    • Options
      WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
      Sounds too confusing. PCGS likes the idea of not having to judge each entry in the Registry. It is monitored by the participants and overseen by them.. but they dont get too involved.
      HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
    • Options
      True - it would get kinda confusing, and also kinda demoralizing I would think to some collectors. I can venture to say that some collectors just like to be able to show their children that they have a set of coins, whether complete or not in the internet. Whether they complete it or they complete it with the highest graded coins they can find is not important - the thing is they're there. If I ever start collecting Morgans again I know I'll never get to the lofty heights of the top 10 and I could care less. I've gotten there with my Franklins, and truly if I was in 20th place, I'd still be happy because I enjoy the coins. Bottom line, if you have an elite set, you know it, you don't need a registry to let anyone else know this - that's the beauty of it.

Regards,

Frank
    • Options

<< <i>we need a Super Set Registry for Very High Dollar Sets and a Registry for Lower Dollar sets >>

I guess I don't quite get it---where do you draw the line. I guess one place to draw the line is that the Low dollar Sets include all sets made up of coins less than or equal in value to mine; and the Very High dollar Sets are everything more valuable than mine.

Pete
    • Options

I don't think it would work. Most people would rather play with the big boys. Whatever the play is. I don't think ANY minor league baseball player would give up the chance to be in the majors even if it means he would be a benchwarmer.

DAN
      United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
    • Options
      relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

If the registry ever becomes very popular, we could see the "Mircrosoft" and "Coca-Cola" collections all in the #1 spots.
      My posts viewed image times
      since 8/1/6
    • Options
      RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>we could see the "Mircrosoft" and "Coca-Cola" collections all in the #1 spots. >>

In most series, I guess that might be a possibility. But, in some, no amount of money would do it unless the owner of the top set was willing to sell his coins. In my series, for example, nobody will ever be able to unseat EBL III because all his coins are pop top, and he has the only 1969 ever graded in 70DCAM.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
      I agree with Russ, its hard to play marbels when the big boys have all the marbels.

Walt