Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Needed a 23P Merc Dime. Got One Today.....

but what will happen when this is submitted. The Old luck with Toned Dimes has not been real good. IMO this could be real Good or real Bad from a purchase stand point.

What do you think a Bag or a Grade ? I'm saying Real Tone and a Nice Dime but of course I have it in my hands and can see stuff you can not see.

Will add that it was a Nice little Coin Show up in Tacoma. Dealers seemed Happy as business was Ok for the ones I talked too. Picked up 4 Type Coins for the Meager Set also.

Cheers: Ken

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a nice dime. image Could be FB. image As for the toning, I know nothing about toning. 98% of my dimes are white and those that are not are very mildly toned.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    ok here goes.
    It is either a an AU58, due to the fact it looks like a rub on the reverse diagonal bands, and if not you are looking at a 65fb. I hope for the later.
    You are really picking up some nice early raw dimes, hope you hang onto that dealer.image
    good luck on this one.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Ken,

Looks nice -- I saw a few holdered dimes that looked like that at a show today. Since I was on a tight budget, today was Merc day, and I filled out all of the holes in my Merc album, excepting the 16-D, and the 21's. The 26-S was a bear, even in low grade, I went to 4 tables and finally had to get one about F-15 since the G's and VG's looked like crap.
    Keith ™

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS will grade it, but like Dennis, I can't tell if there's rub on the diagonal bands, or if they were protected from whatever caused the rest of the reverse to tone somewhat evenly. Don't know if it would make 65, because the toning makes it hard to see if there are any ticks on it, but it should go at least 64 (if it's not AU). It also appears to be FB, as are the vast majority of '23-P's. You must believe it's a 65, because a 64 is hardly worth having slabbed. Good luck if you send it in, and let us know the results.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of more shots of this Dime. Toneing is a little wild even for me and IMO makes the Dime one of the coins that could go anywhere from AU55 to MS65 if submitted to a grading service. This dime was on Ebay about a month ago and received no bids if I remember correctly. My honest opinion of it then was that it was AT'ed for sure. After seeing it in person I believe the Tone is real.

Ken
  • Options
    Very Nice KEN!

Interesting colors and very worthy of a raw purchase!

TC
    TC
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony:

Thanks !

Do me a favor. Get rid of your Icon you are useing. Every time I see that dime I cringe as I never should have sold that dime. Bad move on my part. image It just possibly is the Prettiest Dime I have ever owned. The Grass is greener on the other side of the fence. NOT !!

Ken
  • Options
    Ken

I am having an extremely hard time with your request!

I am emotionally attached to this Icon, as you are correct in suggesting that it is one of the prettiest dimes to be seen. image
    Look on the brighter side as to the pleasure you had while the dime was in your possession and the pleasure the owner is having with the dime now. We have all had sales that we have regretted long after the fact. Did you ever think of contacting the person you sold it to? Best of luck!

TC
    TC
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me know what PCGS does in the way of a grade! I haven't had ANY luck with grades. TOO many AU58 and I can't understandimage Good Luck with yours
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211