Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

4,000+% Premium for "Color". Is the bubble about to burst?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1375341077

Blast, headlight white: $10.00
"Toned": $400.00.

Is 'color' costing this much these days?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Pat,

You want to know the most interesting thing about that coin? PCGS body-bagged mine, and the toning was nearly identical.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Yuck.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    Must be one of those where the picture doesn't do the coin justice. Morris is a board member, pretty sure his handle is same as his E-Bay ID. Might ask him about it.
    Keith ™

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    Color? That's one of the ugliest toned coins I've ever seen! Analogous to a plastic surgeon attempting to create a beauty queen and ending up with a Frankenstein monster.image If this coin is an example of "the bubble" I sure wish there were a way I could "short" toned coins.image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,
    I picked up a couple of 1963 and one 1964 sets still in the original holders and envelopes at a coin show in San Diego. I think I paid $9. per set. I sent the halves to PCI and they graded them out as "100% toned" and PR67.
    I quickly tired of them as the toning didn't grow on me and wholesaled them on eBay and averaged my grading fees back (about $10- $12. per coin).

This type of "color" is somewhat common and as much as I prefer rainbow toning on Moderns, would easily take a lusterous white 1964 Kennedy over these.

peacockcoins

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    it has no bids yet - so all we know is that it's worth something less than $400.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    If it really does have nice color, the seller needs to get a better camera or scanner. It looks gold plated when viewed on my monitor.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    My 1999 Clad proof sets will be worth tons of money. Its only been 3years and they have color already. They should be that nice brown color before I know it.

Seriously, do ya think my 1999 sets offer any increased value now or in the future because of the coins changing color. Lots of links on this subject. Last I heard was because of acid wash procedure.

Kind regards...........
    Thanks image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks gold plated when viewed on my monitor. >>

Shiro,

Yeah, an awful lot like this body-bag victim.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Actually it really is ugly, I just need money for my kids education. image

You should have picked one that is pretty...how about 2000x normal worth...
    1963 Nickel

or this train stopper...

1964 Quarter, from the same set as the ugly Kennedy you chose.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Beautiful toned coins will always be worth a hefty premium, however, much like growth stock, there is a limit. Like all bubbles, this too will end and then the cycle will start over again. Having said all that, when faced with a beautifilly toned coin, its hard not to spend the mortgage money as well as the car payment to puchase one. Bearimage (edited for spelling)
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    well for me an original toned proof set from 1937 or an originally toned proof 1867 half with original toning that is incredible or a buff or a smaller sreated coin or a flyer a barber proofs or uncs well these coins will always sell for premiums over bid 1.5 to 10 times but only for great higher grade monster coins and foe the mucyh higher end of the scale early commems come to mind

but for coins like the specific kennedy half example that is not rare and are under 25 dollar coins well it is like it is an orange and all the coins i mentioned above are apples and it is like comapiring apples to oranges and that simply cant be done and is an oversimplificatiion of the toning extra price thing
    to put all toned coins in the same league just cant be done to compair an already rare undervalued say 1901 ms 65 full gem nbarber quarter with a low pop of under 5 coins and then to add toning to it where the barber is already a 1500 dollar coin without the toning and the kennedy half where there are hundreds if not thousands like this white and a very low value coin and then a toned coin sells for 10 20 times the price of a white one maybe even more well yes that is crazy but that is my opinion and if you want to buy it okie with me! but the older series coins nicely fantastic toned and monster toned well that is a whoooooooooooooole other story

sincerely michael
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very first thread with a + in it. Was Pat onto something back then? Has the bubble finally popped?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    listing removed
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    look at the date johnny9434

www.brunkauctions.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights