Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Football High Number series is complete!!!

I'm happy to say that I've finally completed my 1972 Topps High Number series (264-351). All the cards are PSA 8 NQ or higher.

This has been a challenge, because of the limited number of cards printed for this third series.

I still need about 60 cards to complete the set, but it seems to be more within my reach now.

Maybe a FOOTBALL FAB FIVE can be born. With most of the member already on this board:...

John McLane
Myself
Jeff Barker ??? (Not sure if he has posted yet)
GanstaJayson
and
Noah Popp

...the seeds have been planted.

Carlos

Comments

• Options
    Great work, Carlos!

The 1972 set has it all; great rookies (Staubach, Joiner, Riggins, Plunkett, Manning, etc.), tough high numbers, nice design. No wonder it is the most popular football set on the registry.

Tell Jayson to slow down; he's leap-frogged over me into the number 4 spot again. I'm starting to develop a complex . . .

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Noah,

Jayson and I both got nervous when you pick up 30some PSA 9's on ebay. That is all Jayson talked about at the National. He was on a mission to pass you up again.

BTW nice job on your set.

Good luck.

Carlos
  • Options
    Yes clearly in my eyes the best football set out there......Tons of Hall of Famers ending and begining there carear...I love this set so much i started 2 sets lol.....
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.

• Options
    Hello everyone!
    This is my first post to the boards. I must take this opportunity to thank some of you on this board for helping me with my 72 FB set. I've enjoyed working with John M., Carlos, Art and others. You have been very helpful to me in finding these cards. I've always been a set builder since I first started collecting when I was 11 years old (1979). Personally, the new cards just don't allow that anymore. The registry has brought alot of fun back for me. The 72 set is the first set that I've really tried to complete and now it is getting very difficult to find the cards. I'm still missing 19 from the 3rd series. I picked this set because of so many superstars and HOFers and the set design. I look forward to posting more with you guys.

Jeff Barker
    Always looking for high-grade Terry Bradshaw and Steelers cards.
  • Options
    Jeff,

Glad to have you on board. The Football Fab Five is now complete.

John has set such a high standard for this set just like Frank Bakka has in 1972 Baseball. I went to the National in Chicago for the sole purpose of completing the high number series. I thought these cards would be much easier to find...Man was I wrong. I found some raw high numbers but they were borderline PSA 7 and PSA 8. I lucked out on all but two. Card number 290 JOHN GILLIAM is tough. There was a PSA 8 on eBay last week that went for double book value.

Anyway, I want to offically welcome you to the forum.

Good luck with you set.

Carlos

• Options
    Well this set for me is in the vault never to be sold.... Dont know about the rest of you......
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.

• Options
    carlos congrats on the high #s i am still sitting on almost a compleat set of high #s mostly 9,s and i just sent in 200 72,s thursday have not yet decided if i will help you jeff and my fellow redskins fan the big 3 72 guys finish your sets or join you on the leader boards i have sold to all 3 of you so at least im fair about it lol.if i dicide to become a player in the 72 area will you sell me my psa 9 checklist back lol. more then likely i will help you guys finish up yours i sent in every card john needs most of what you and jeff need so i will yell at you some time in sept tell then congrats again HAIL TO THE 35 POINTS A GAME REDSKINS image
  • Options
    SKINSFAN,

WOW 200 1972 submissions...image

I hope there are some 8's and 9's in that lot for me.

I'm sorry to say that I can't sell you back the PSA 9 checklist...image
    ...My brother only has that card in an PSA 8 and I brag about it every chance I get...image

Keep in touch

Carlos
  • Options
    SKINSFAN (and Jayson)

I have two of the high number checklists in PSA 9; I picked up the second one in a lot of 33 PSA 9s that I bought off of eBay a month ago. I'd part with one for SMR; let me know at npopp@sidley.com if you have any interest.

Good luck on those '72s! I need to work on my high numbers before they start to dry up . . .

• Options
    Noah,

Do you have any other extras?

Carlos
  • Options

<< <i>SKINSFAN (and Jayson)

I have two of the high number checklists in PSA 9; I picked up the second one in a lot of 33 PSA 9s that I bought off of eBay a month ago. I'd part with one for SMR; let me know at npopp@sidley.com if you have any interest.

Thanks for the offer but i usually dont upgrade to 9's i have it in a 8 so i am happy with that....Only 9's i keep are the ones i got graded myself..Thanks Noah

• Options
    Hey Noah I just sent another load into PSA if i get some doubles wanna trade some fo your doubles let me know......image

redzebra16@yahoo.com

• Options
    Thanks to Erik Jarvi,

I am down to only one high number card that I need in PSA 8 NQ or higher.

290 JOHN GILLIAM

Anybody have an extra one floating around???

Carlos
  • Options
    Jayson and Carlos,

I hope to e-mail you in a few days a list of my doubles for trade or sale; my collection is totally unorganized right now, as I have recently moved and am working 7 days a week. But once I get my act together, I'm hoping to get moving on my '72s . . .

-Noah

• Options
    Sounds good looking forward to hearing from you...

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I want in on the action! I just registered my 72 set (Rob Marcus 72 Topps FB set)
    Carlos, I sent you an e-mail with a PSA 9 that was on an earlier list of yours, did you get it?
    Always buying/selling /trading for 72 Topps FB and 76 Topps FB

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    Rob,

I PM'ed you.

Carlos
  • Options
    RobBobGolf, Erik Jarvi, Skinsfan, and every else who has helped me with my 1972 Football set,

Thanks for the help. I have officially completed my HIGH number 3rd series in PSA 8 NQ and HIGHER.

Now I must start working on Series One and Two.

Carlos