Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Kelloggs Baseball Memories :-)

I kicked this post back to the top to provide some levity to our discussions regarding Kelloggs sets. Hope those who havent read it, enjoy it.
RayB69Topps :-)

It's obvious from the previous threads on this board that there are legions of loyal 3D'ers out there collecting Kelloggs.

My collecting years as a kid were fever pitch in 1969. I started collecting exlusively Topps regular issue as a 9 year old in 68'. My 69T regular issue's survive to day and are a driving force behind my pursuit of that set.

The 1970 Kelloggs set is overwhelming popular here; just look at the number of registrants to that set on the registry.
As a kid I didnt pay that set any particular mind; probably because most of the product was inserted in Corn Flakes which I hated.
1971 Kelloggs, however was a different story.
My grammar school buddies collected the 71's and I would not be undone.
I "choked down" those first couple of boxes of Corn Flakes at the rate of 2-3 bowls a day!
This got old real fast especially if you "pulled" a Danny Cater for your troubles.
My best friend and I had a brainstorm. We would pool our paper route resources, ride by bicycle, and buy boxes of Corn Flakes at the grocery store ( smallest box that still enclosed the card) and dig the card out and ditch the box in the dumpster behind the store. This way our Mom's wouldnt have to force us to eat any more but still not know what we were up to.. This clandestine operation lasted a couple three weeks and we quickly realized we couldnt keep up with the 71' king at school.
Turned out he had 3 little brothers and they all loved Corn Flakes. Truth is those kids probably would have eaten the shingles off a house if it meant getting a Kelloggs card. I think their Mom always wondered how they were able to consume 1 box per day! It was amazing; every day at school this kid would be showing us a new card! Seaver, Gibson, McCovey, Rose this kid had them all!
Oh for the good ol' days!
Lo and behold Kelloggs is alive again thanks to PSA and those loyal 3D legionaires!
I notice that only a couple of people are registered on the 1971 set. For obvious reasons I am drawn to the vibrant colors and clear photography of that particular issue. I'll ask the 3D'ers why they think there aren't more people collecting this set? I was thinking about jumping in, in a modest way.
Hope you enjoyed the little story. :-)

RayB69Topps
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    RayB - great story! Soon you will be one of us again.

The '71 Kellogg's is a great set and would be my second choice if I started another K set. I can only guess why it is less popular with collectors, but I'll try. I think the main reason is that by far it is the most difficult set to put together of all the Kellogg's sets. Unlike the '70 set and most of the other sets for that matter the cards from the '71 set could only be obtained from purchasing individual boxes of cereal (yum). You couldn't obtain a complete set from the company directly, and there were no cellos produced like with the '70 set. Another reason may be the many variations in the '71 set. I think these reasons suggest a possible deterrent for some to collect the set. It's by no means easy to put together. Also, very subjectively speaking, I think most collectors are a little more attracted to the '70 set's look versus the '71 set. Again, it's just my opinion.

I think '70 and '71 are both good choices. Another factor might be future resale value. There is definite strong and growing demand for the '70 set even though there is large supply. I'm not positive I can say the same about the '71 set. The '71 set offers low suppply but lower demand as well. Who knows maybe one day the '71 set will attract legions of collectors which would make today a good buying opportunity. It's really tough to say. I don't plan on collecting the '71 set so at least you won't have to worry about Gemmint
    image.
  • Options
    Does anybody believe any of the other Kellogg's sets will ever be of value??? I know 1970 is picking up, but what about the later years? I just purchased mint sets from 1979, 1981 and 1983 that are still attached to each other - they appear pristine, but I don't know if they are worth grading?
    It's all good...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I think other Kelloggs sets will catch on eventually. They include a different era of player -- and thus will attract some of the 80s market when it matures. For example, the 1980 set has Schmidt, Carlton, Brett, Yount and numerous other stars that were not around in 1970. Though 1970 and 1971 are by far the rarest and most valuable (in the current market), I think you will see some collectors either a) branch out to other Kelloggs sets and/or b) new collectors will enter the market and find the 1970/1971 sets too costly and will start with the more recent sets.

There seems to be at least one person (Different for each year) that is at least starting on graded sets for most of the Kelloggs sets through the early 1980s. At the absolute least, there will always be a market for the star cards in PSA 9 or better.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I think Schmidty is basically correct. I don't anticipate a lot of price appreciation on the later sets, at least for a while anyway. Unless the cards are mint material I wouldn't bother grading them since there is very limited demand for the later sets at the moment.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I see the '72 All-Time Greats set gaining popularity. It's the one affordable vintage (though non-playing days) set that most of those players can be found in in high grade. (The '60 and '61/'62 Fleer sets are nightmares to find in high grade, and the Famous Feats set is deservedly frowned upon.)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    See initial post.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!