Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How thin is the market for autographed slabs?

I saw the following lot on Stacks' September auction:

Lot# 1246

1976`S' `Artist Reunion' Silver Bicentennial Set. Very Choice to Gem Brilliant Proof. Includes Eisenhower-Moon Dollar by Dennis R. Williams, Kennedy-Independence Hall Half Dollar by Seth G. Huntington, Washington-Drummer Quarter by Jack L. Ahr. In PCGS holders, each bearing the autograph of former President Gerald R. Ford, who brought all three coin designers together for their first reunion in 25 years on Oct. 18, 2001. Set #94 of only 150 sets created, accompanied by an Official 25th Anniversary American Bicentennial Coin Reunion Certificate bearing President Gerald R. Ford's autograph. 3 pieces.

(500-750)

Is there much of a market for these? Is the $500 to $750 estimate high, low, or about right?
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• Options
    Anorexic
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?
  • Options
    I think Fords generic (150 of them makes it generic) autograph goes for around $100, so take it from there.
    Jared

Must end life...in classic Lorne Green pose...from 'Battlestar Galactica'...best...death...ever!"

-Comic Book Guy
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I'm sure the shop-at-home people could sell these for $39.95 a piece. They'd still be overpriced by about 300%.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anorexic >>

LOL! I agree.
    It's the epitome of 'FAD'.

peacockcoins

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    OK, if the market is so thin and the autographs aren't worth much, why the $500 to $750 estimate of value?

The consignors aren't allowed to plug in their own numbers, are they? Or does Stacks really think they should fetch that much? image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calista Flockhart.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

If you get several guys looking for coins and Gerald Ford Autographs, it could go pretty high. Other then that, $100 might be the limit!

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Hey, I will sign your darn slab for free. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    A set of these sold on ebay for $599 (but there was only one bid!) - Auction link.

You might be able to order directly from ol' folkartnut himself at his website eaglesofamerica.com

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Karen Carpenter image
    Matt
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    Has anyone on the forums admitted to buying any?

Did you see folkartnut is selling a consultation for immortality for $5,000?

I thought signed slab inserts wer weird, but this is WAY out there.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Apparently, George Cloonie and Frankenstein buy Les Fox autographerd T-shirts.

It's getting stranger all the time.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    i bought a bunch of those icg arist statehood qtrs anyone wants ta buy some

PLEASE

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    A dealer in proofs has them listed at $495.00
  • Options
    Yes I have a couple that I picked up for the slab reference set. I've bought death coins for the same reason.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpoole

ROTFLOL
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I bought a Buffalo with Johnson signature with no premium. I don't mind it, but I would not pay more for it.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, God.

Not folkart nut again. That whacko never ceases to amaze me. 5,000 bucks as a "consultation fee" to have him put you in touch with the cryogenic freezer folks he's signed himself up with? (Ooh, you get a brochure and a video, too- but no freezing. You have to pay the freezer people for that. Folkart nut gets the $5,000 for introducing you to them and giving you a tour and answering some questions).

I hope they turn him into a popsicle soon. Ebay will be a better place for it. But much less entertaining.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file