Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cracking GAI holders?

Any techniques for cracking GAI holders? My brother got a 74 McCovey Washington variation GAI 7 that he wants in a PSA holder.
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• Options

<< <i>My brother got a 74 McCovey Washington variation GAI 7 that he wants in a PSA holder. >>

Does He mind it being in a PSA 5 or 6 holder?
    imageimage
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Even if it comes back a "7", your talking about a $20.ish card. So if you add your brothers initial cost on the card, then the grading & shipping fees for PSA, it may not be worthwhile...jay
  • Options
    Still though, what is the best way to crack a SGC, GAI or whatever slab? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I have never cracked a GAI slab, but SGC is easy, a butter knife or screw driver in the edge, then crack is slowly down the edge, like an oyster.

Here is a GREAT article that describes EXACTLY how to do it!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think he was more concerned with it being in a different slab from the rest of his set.

I do like how the GAI holders (or should it be just "GA"?) have the card information on the top edge so you can put all your cards in order without having to look at the front. Something like that would be conducive to the way the slab fits together. If PSA were to do something like that, they would have to re-engineer their flips and slabs. Has anyone made something that you could fit over the top of a PSA slab with all the info?

NAXCOM
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I've cracked out 2 cards and had to take off a good size chunk of the corner before you can slip a small screwdriver in there to remove the card. There the toughest to open. Also, GAI is as tough on grading if not tougher than PSA so there isnt really and comcern that the card doesnt grade 6-8 if it was a 7.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The best way to crack any slab is simply to send it to yourself via the USPS in a non-padded envelope!
  • Options
    Gaspipe-

Did you take a hacksaw to the corner?

NAXCOM
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Actually I used large toenail clippers. It takes a few minutes but it seemed to work the best.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you take a hacksaw to the corner? >>

I have done the hacksaw thing...
    sometimes if you go to fast
    it gets real hot and the plastic will melt and kind of Fuse together
    making it tough to get seperated at that point
    imageimage
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

qmayer,

GAI holders are pretty easy to crack. Just take a small flathead screwdriver and wedge it into one of the edges near a corner. Then give it a little "wrist twist", and continue doing this along all 4 edges. It will part like the Red Sea. Don't get impatient and try to pull the card out after only cracking a couple of edges. The plastic may snap and damage your card, or you could ding it trying to pull it out.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.