Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982 zinc and copper

My cousin is a very new collector and has a book of lincon cents from 1970-present he has a few spots that he needs to fill and they r 1982's because it says u need a zinc 1982 and a copper how do u tell the differance without cutting the coin to peices. image

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    hello again, Kid!

Copper ones weigh 3.11 grams, and copper-plated zinc ones weigh 2.5 grams. Do you have a Redbook yet? It's a great book and you can spend years reading it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    If you don't have a good set of scales (I don't either), you can build a sort of tester, using simple materials: it will look very much like a see-saw when you're done. Take a flat ice-cream stick (about wide enough for a penny to fit on it), and glue a zinc penny to one side, at the end. And to make the fulcrum, glue a round toothpick, or very small dowel to the other side, and in the middle, so that when you place a penny in a certain spot on the other side, opposite the penny you glued on, the penny you are testing will either tip the see-saw down (that will be a copper penny), or it won't tip it down (then that penny is zinc too). Have fun building one of these; you might have to try a few times to get the placement of the glued penny and the spot for testing the other pennies in the correct positions. And the fulcrum must be large enough in diameter for the see-saw to work.

imageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    thx, thats a much better way than cuttin them, i have yet to buy a red book but i have a black and a blue one image
  • Options
    JohnsCoinsJohnsCoins Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    If you want a set of the 7 coins, let me know. I have about 25 sets for sale. All are red BU and are from orginial rolls. The price is $3.00 plus $1.00 for shipping. The coins will come in 2x2's and will be marked with which one they are.

John Graf
  • Options
    Awww give it to them for free . think of it this way if you give it to them free now they might be more likley to buy from you in the future

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Options
    At my local coin shop the owner showed a kid an easy way to test the weight. He took a carboard 2x2 holder for cents (you know the ones that are cardboard and fold in half with the clear windows) and he put in on a pencil in the middle and put a new zinc cent on one side and the 82 in question on the other side to see which was heavier. If they were the same it was a zinc 82, if the 82 was heavier it was copper.
  • Options
    thx for ur help guys image
  • Options
    You're welcome! Welcome to the wonderful world of coin collecting!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    For all those who have been wondering YES you can stick a copper one on the end but if the 82 in question rises it is zink, and if it stays equal it is copperimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    I know this will be sacrilegious to some, but if you don't care about nicks & marks you can drop them on a hard surface like a counter top. They will sound different.
    Small cents - ain't they beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file