Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Collectors - Can this be restored?

Can something like this be restored to a gradeable coin? Or is it forever relegated to melt value...
Gold on a fob

-Hoosier

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    They look like they are mounted in rings. The edges are probably damaged a little.
    I don't think they are or could become "high grade" coins.
    My opinion only image
  • Options
    Buy it as jewerly only is my advice. Generally once a coin goes into jewelry it is polished and cleaned to a point where it loses any potential numismatic value. Second, relating to this piece the California gold coins are usually tokens and may or may not be reproductions, and the $3 is notorious for being counterfeited/reproduced, so given that most jewelers would be hesitant to spend numismatic money on a jewelry piece, they would more likely employ a reproduction on the $3. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    If any of them are real, I say what a waste. One of my employees has a common date $5 Liberty that here Grandmother left here that is now mounted in a Bezel and hangs around her neck. Everytime she see's me looking at it she reaches up and rubs it for good luckimage. She Knows I cant bare to look, which is why she does it!!!!!!
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second jtryka, if you're going to buy it buy it as jewelry and even then that's assuming the coins are not counterfeit. The Half Eagle, Three Dollar piece and the L & C Commemorative look like they've been soldered. It's my understanding that it is difficult if not impossible to remove solder without leaving evidence of the repair. As others have mentioned the Cal. gold may have some rim damage from the rings.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file