Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo Nickels

Given a slow night on TV, I was looking through my 1913 Buffalo Nickels. A motely crew, but treasured anyway. However, I noticed that if you turn them over the Type Is and Type IIs they do not rotate completely. That is, if you have the obverse looking as if it is completely horizontal, then flip, the reverse is slightly out of horizontal - perhaps 5 to 10 degrees. I looked in a couple of books, but found no reference and it seems odd that the stamping process wouldn't have been worked out to give completely symmetrical poses? I looked at some Shield nickels and they look symmetrical. Does this happen with later years and anyone know why?

Thanks

TS

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is simply a rotated die... some slabbing companies, depending on the severity, will label it as an error. You can still find them today, but I do think a lot of buffs had rotated die (someone correct me if I am wrong; but if I am right, praise me for the rest of eternity image)
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    It's common for coins to have, "rotated Reverses", or "rotated Obverses." It just depends on your point of view. LOL!!!

But anyway, it's a common occourance. I'm not sure of the the exact degree of rotation to make the coins more valuable, i think it's about 90 % or more.

Anyone else??
    J'har
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think Dog97 mentioned this.There has to be more than ....30-40% or more `off`to be considered an error.
    PM him on the issue.He,ll know.

Also...Welcome aboard.image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    To be collectable for most models they need 90 degrees of rotation. The dies rotate because they work loose in the press from the constant pounding.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Did I say 30-40%?.....I meant 90%....ya Thats it.Thats the ticket.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file