Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which price guide is closest to being accurate?

nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
I've read a lot about people's opinions on the various pricing guides out there. And I know something is only worth what others will pay. Still, I want to know what the fairest guide to coin values is. So what say you?

PCGS's online one
Numismedia's
Trends
Coin Prices
Another?

Comments

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I haven't found any of them very useful. I prefer to use the archives at Heritage and Teletrade.
  • I generally go to the archives of eBay to see what things sold for, then try to make a semi-intelligent guess.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • I go the the auction sites. Real Time Prices !!

Walt image
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Coin prices magazine as a general feel. Greysheet is a must also. Most dealers use some multiple over greysheet. If it is an extraordinary coin, experience amongst knowledgeable collectors is the order of the day.

Circulated prices stay closer to the published levels, whereas MS coins can be all over the place, especially scarcer condition rarities.

Secondly, what is the eye appeal. The price guides assume what, just a date and mintmark? Most cleaned or problematic coins rarely reach retail. Coins that grab you by the B*lls sell up to retail and beyond.

Ebay has a running history lasting 10 days to check prices realized. heritage is another source to see auction archive history.

Tyler

• I like Heritage's. Not just looking at previous auctions, but looking at the "Heritage Value Index". It usually seems pretty good.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    I agree with IrishMike, the Teletrade "Price Guide", available to bidders, seems to be the most accurate pricing source. It lists prices realized and is great for pricing high grade moderns.
  • I've recently learned that the "Blue Book"'s prices are very close to greysheet if anyone doesn't want to shell out the $200 a year... Just a thought.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I use PCGS guide only for a starting point and at 70% (SEVENTY PERCENT) of the values listed. I'll only go up as high as 80% if its' a real PQ looking coin or rarely offered date. None but the auction archives are valid IMO. They're all guides and usually outdated. I use PCGS mainly because I have this forum open 99% of the time i'm online and you can determine relative rarity within a series by looking at their list.

tom

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • I think that completed auctions are the best price guides.
    Alan Bierlein

Tradelist

Refs: epag64, ahares, beave, airjordan22, skivermont3, bigshane, KLS23, Chillinbij, dewey, yanksfan, woodson24kg, danmarinocollector, NBAsteve, ejones06, clearandvalid, JRCCRUM, rooks, koolman2005, Lway7Fan, Bobstar, vittleboy, beasport, burress80, johnsauc, danotoriuos, goyanks01, whitetornado, richpf32
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I can usually get coins (except for Key Date coins) from my local dealer for a little under Red Book.

When I asked this type of question before, I think I got answers like 80% of PCGS online or 90% of Red Book for a ballpark price.
  • I use ecoinprices.com for a reference. I do go by the prices, but at 50%, or less.

If a coin is at 100% the prices or more, then I won't buy unless, unless I intend to keep it.

Robert
    You want fries with that?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file