Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned 1964 Proof Set

This 1964 Proof Set looks too good to be true. I believe the seller is playing games with reflective light. Opinion? Link
USAF vet 1951-59

Comments

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    For some reason the link doesn't work. eBay #1372775904
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • I'm not sure the intention was to deceive, so much as to try and light the material. It can be tricky to get good lighting with digital cameras. And given his rating on eBay, I doubt he's a con artist.
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
  • Which part looks too good to be true? Other than a 1964 Kennedy is far from "rare", I don't see any deception. Looks like a typical set unless I'm spacing out something.
  • Oh... from your thread title you're wondering if it's nicely toned? I don't think so, looks like just the lighting.
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice set, but not that special as far as toning is concerned. The dime looks like it has golden color, and perhaps the nickel, but I can't really tell from the image. It just looks like a nice 64 proof set, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Man that bad link crashed my browser! I don't think the coins are toned; whatever is making them that color is reflecting off the mint cello too.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Sorry Dog, it crashed my brower also. Have no idea what happened, I cut and pasted the URL right from the eBay page. Guess you have to manually enter the URL.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Looks like an ordinary '64 proof set to me too. I wouldn't go as far as saying NICE because it doesn't appear to have some of the nice mirrorred fields and cameo appearance that a NICE proof set would have. It looks like my proof set.....it really looks like a BU set. I believe Russ could fill you in on what a REAL NICE '64 proof set looks like! Just MHO.
    "LIVE FOR TODAY, BECAUSE THERE MAY BE NO TOMORROW!"- DEANE

• MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>whatever is making them that color is reflecting off the mint cello too. >>

Yep. And if it was a toned set, the seller would say so. Just your standard 64' proof set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file