Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this bust half a fake?

I just got this in the mail yesterday and my first impression was that it is a fake. What do you think? It looks like a O-105 or copy? thanks mike
    obverse
      reverse
        reverse close up
          edge lettering

Comments

• Options
            PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
            Looks real to me. Most fakes are lead that one dosen't look like lead.
          • Options
            Looks ok to me
          • Options
            Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
            It does look strange at first glance and the edge letters look weird but the bad serrifs in the As in the mottos look right. I think that would be a good canidate for ANACS to attribute just for peace of mind.
            Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
          • Options
            There was a recent article in Coinage I think about fake bust coinage - if I find it I'll send you the reference - Bust coinage is notorious for being duplicated, and sometimes very well - have you weighed the piece to see if it meets standards?

Regards,

Frank
          • Options
            darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
            My digital scale quit working a few months ago but on my old style scale it ways about half an ounce. mike
          • Options
            Looks genuine to me.
            I am no longer looking for an 1815/2
            myurl
          • Options
            TomBTomB Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
            From the images I can't be certain but it looks like it is most likely an O.105 which is an R2. I can tell you, however, that the coin has been harshly cleaned. Sorry.
            Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
            Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
            I don't see anything that jumps out at me to make me suspicious. My general impression is that it is a genuine, well worn, harshly cleaned bust half. About the only thing even the slightest bit odd about it is that the edge lettering looks really nice for a piece this heavily worn. But I have seen other coins like that so it doesn't bother me.
          • Options
            darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
            Thanks guy's I thought it had an odd look but if you all think it is real I will keep it.image mike
          • Options
            airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
            Although I couldn't confirm anything, send it to me for piece of mind that it is being safely stored in MY safe in MY house for ME to enjoy image
            JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
          • Options
            looks real to me . image
            may the force be with you.

rob.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
          Emoji
          Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
          Drop image/file