Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Day Covers

I have the first day covers for the first 2 years of the state quarters. I dont see any on E bay (maybe Im looking in the wrong place) Is there any money to be made on these, or should I open them and submit them to PCGS for grading. These coins were struck on the first day and they look pretty good. Whats your opinion?

Walt image

Comments

• Options
    I know they were pretty hot on ebay a while back. I sold my duplicates of Deleware and Mass for 400.00 each. Go figure....

I'm not sure what the heading was but just adjust your serach criteria. If I find them I'll post a link.

Rich
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Some of the earlier covers are worth some major money; they would be more valuable intact than with the coin in a slab.
  • Options
    I have sold all of mine off. Do a search for "First Day Coin Cover". I haven't checked the prices in recent times but Delware was going through the roof. It seems as though when they first get sold out at the mint, you can double your money... after sometime, they triple...quadrupel :-)

I had opened up my Massachusetts but still managed to get about $140 for it.

-David
  • Options
    I have dealt w/this gentelman a lot over the course of the last few years.if you want Del. first days he has a few up for dutch auction.
    Top Notch dealer and a gent to boot.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371950126
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Do not even think of opening your First Day Covers. That will destroy their value forever. I own over 50 and won't even open the mailers they arrived in. Our good friend, the U.S. Mint, reopened sales of previously sold out Covers depressing the whole series. DE, MA and PA are now the only 3 states that are sold out. I have cut back my purchases of more FDCs but expect the prices to recover over time. To find them on eBay put the state first and then first day cover.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    heres the skinney because obviously those who have been paying attention dont wanna bother to answer you. The first day covers were going nuts for a few months until the mint released deleware and mass again and it ticked people off. The prices are going back up, but are no where near what they once were.

but theyll get back there provided the mint doesnt stumble across more image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    DE and MASS are going for around $70.00 each (remember when they were $400 each?).

The rest can be had for around $20 each.

I sold all of mine and decided to focus on coins. Used the big profit to pick up a few nice commerative halfs.

USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I just did a search on Ebay and came up with 89 auctions. I have a complete collection and have never and will not even open the mailers. All of my covers do not have an address on the mailer. I will not buy one with an address on it.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll just leave em alone for a while, say 4 or 5 years.

Waltimage
  • Options
    dakradakra Posts: 513
    pontiacinf... it seems the mint is always coming up with "additional" items that seem to have been hidden in storage. The 1999, 2000 and 2001 proof sets are one... I never heard that they came up with additional first day coin covers until you brought it up... and then there was the Buffalo Commemerative, it was such a hot item they wanted to strike another 500k (I believe it was 500K)

I believe they find these items because the *market* is hot.

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file