Home U.S. Coin Forum

A $30.00 Restocking FEE What the??

Did you ever see a restocking fee for coins nonetheless a steep $30 bucks? Exact words are (MINUS ALL FEES PAID OUT, S&H, AND A $30 RESTOCKING FEE.) That could cost you $40 or even $50.00 if you decide to return. What the Heck is this the local lumberyard? Is the image tweaked? A few negative feedbacks should have bidders uncomfortable don’t you think? Also what is that First word I just can't seem to make out the spelling. And if the coin belongs in a PC65 holder put it there and than list it.
Mike

Link to Auction

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    That coin looks AT to me.
    When I click on the thre pictures nothing changes. I guess it's the same picture three times.
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what is that First word >>

Probably Intense. That's one way of not getting returns. And I don't think he's allowed to charge for eBay fees.

<< <i> NOT TO MANNY BIDDERS AROUND NOW MAY RELIST IN SEPT >>

He needs to shop eBay for a dictionary.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    $30 fee is to make sure you like it and don't utilize his generous 4 day return privilege. What I don't understand is why this seller always posts 3 exact same pictures of the same coin in his listing. I don't think I'm brave enough to try to cross it to PCGS.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • As for his spelling, that's probably the way they spell things in the future. I figure this guy must be a time traveller, because according to the description:

"THIS IS A 18840 MS 64"

He traveled back in time 16,838 years to bring us this toned beauty, and bidding's only up to $78.

I'll bet some of you mistook it for an 1884O. Don't be embarrassed, it's a common mistake. image
    NMFB ™

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do business with anyone who charged a re-stocking fee and would never do business with this seller.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• By looking at all his other auctions, it would seem one could make a lot of money from him. Most of his coins are "UPGRADE" or MS-6X+++" etc. It's nice that there are people left who are kind enough to leave something on the table for the next guy. image
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭
    check out his two recent negatives, not impressive. some of the coins look nice, his feedback on the whole is pretty good, but the new negative trend, plus his "restocking fee" has me thinking more than twice about doing bidness wid him.
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    Must take a lot of effort to put it back in the safe!?
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Anyone notice this so & so wants $7.50 for the first $100 of insurance? He's at the top of my no bid list along with billings13, centsles, tnfc and a few others.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • The first word is Intense. As in like really radical man... image

This guy sounds like he is full of crap. First he's flirting with the grading thing trying to impress the pigeons, then he says if it does not sell he'll have it re-slabed, then says if it doesn't sell he'll try again in Sept. Yes, the restocking fee is what they call userous. This is one for your do not bid lists....
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Another thing I don't understand.....What's wrong with the buyers that left the negs? Did they not read the descripition where it said the would have to pay $30 to return it? You mean it never dawned on them that the coin might not look like the picture? Geeze, did they really think PCGS slabs had white inserts with brown letters..............
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Check out the responses by one of the people he neged.

check the responses around the neg's
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • I am proud to say I was this idiots first neg. and this was before he really became insane with a $30 restock fee. He ripped me off for $7 and I'm still pissed. This greedy bass turds rippoffs will catch up with him some day.

• << <i>I wouldn't do business with anyone who charged a re-stocking fee and would never do business with this seller. >>

tomb - that first thought really has to limit you in dealing. most/all of the major auction houses have either a return fee or no returns on slabs. (most accept returns on raw stuff but it is not a pretty site). and, i know of damm few dealers that will let you walk off with a coin, after payment, at a show and let you return it later. that leaves you with taking on memo from people you know or ebaying from non-dealer dealers. your second thought; totally agree on that!
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    This guy reminds me of the carnival hucksters when I was a kid. Tries to throw so much irrevelant crap at you to confuse the issue, then makes it difficult to return the coin. This coin would have most likely been cracked out by now, and in his opinion it's a 65. These statements always tell me to avoid sellers like this. I hate to be talked down to. Especially by someone who won't take the time to proof his ads. I like the the statement that there aren't too many buyers out there now so someone will get a bargain in September. Well if that is the case why not submit it to PCGS, put it up for sale in September and make more money. I can do without him trying to do all of us a favor.
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    The Bondman has been discussed many times on this forum, almost always in a negative light. He began selling on E-bay several years ago, offering some nice coins. However, they were scan-enhanced. Worse, he set up different accounts to engage in shill bidding. He was warned by some potential customers, and members of this forum, that they were on to him, and although he occasionally persisted, it seems he now has ended that practice. However, the deception in his descriptions and scans remains unabated.

That said, I can state with some authority that I do not believe any of his coins are AT, at least not intentionally so. After all, con artists have some priciples too.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, in response to cointagious, I have never been limited in my dealings in coins because of my beliefs. Most likely this is due to the fact that nearly 100% of my business is done sight-seen. Also, you would be surprised how flexible the auction houses really are if you approach them beforehand. Lastly, there is such a scarcity of true quality material out there that most dealers who hold personal integrity to a high level will be willing to let a high quality piece be viewed or returned with no fee. I find it to be good business. Of course, I agree with you in that not everyone can go to as many shows as I do and not everyone can get to know many of the dealers I try to be familiar with, therefore, these options might not be universally available.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out the responses by one of the people he neged. >>

A very creative way to use prior and post feedbacks. I'll have to remember that. (if I ever get a neg)
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always read the fine print before bidding. Outrageous shipping...See ya baby, Restocking Fee...Sorry amigo. Hey, everyone needs to do what they feel protects them from the shmucks. As a seller, I give the same considerations I expect to have afforded me. Fair shipping costs, return privilege and honest descriptions.

You can't do for me what I afford others, find a new line of work or don't ever expect my business.

Tyler
  • If someone has a huge restocking charge, it makes me question how accurate their description is. After all, if they accurately described the coin, how many returns would they get?
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    After being flamed on this forum, bondman22 dropped off of ebay for quite a while. He's obviously back.

Here's his game:

1) Buy lousy looking certified toned coins for next to nothing.
    2) Enhance the scan such that the colors look too good to be true.
    3) Offer them on ebay to unsuspecting newbies who pay big bucks for hyped up scans.
    4) Charge outrageous fees for returning the coins.

Using the above procedures, he can still make a decent profit even if coins are being returned. In fact, he might even prefer that some of the coins are returned. He'll just sell them over and over again.

Some percentage of buyers will not return the coins despite being unhappy with the purchase. They'll just stop doing business with him after posting a neutral or luke-warm positive.

My advice mirrors TomB's: STAY AWAY FROM THIS SELLER!!!!

GSAGUY
  • Restocking fee = The coin will most likely be returned because the buyer will not like it or I gotta dump this coin on an unsuspecting person and hope the restocking fee will be a hindrance to any returns.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    I think gsaguy hit the nail on the head perfectly. This seems to be the way this guy does business. He probably does make more money from returned coins than selling them outright. Definately not the way I would prefer to build a business though. To each his own I suppose.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Using the above procedures, he can still make a decent profit even if coins are being returned. In fact, he might even prefer that some of the coins are returned. He'll just sell them over and over again. >>

Can he do this ?

How can this be legal?
    Wouldn't some type of fraud come into play?
    It should be.Sell crappy coins with pummped up scans,KNOWING they will be returned?
    Only to make 30 bucks. wow
    Kevin
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    KAJ1,

Sure, he can and DOES get away with it. But just think of it. If he buys a certified toned coin for $100.00, fabricates an outrageous scan of the coin, sells it on ebay and then pockets $30.00 when the coin is returned, he's done quite well profit-wise. I'm sure that since the buyer returns the piece the seller can get most if not all of his ebay fees refunded as well.

As Morganluver says, this is not the approach the average dealer would use but I guess it works for him. As for proving fraud, that would probably be difficult. How closely a scan matches a coin's true appearance is, to some degree, subjective. However, having said that, watch his auctions. He'll take really dark coins and crank up the brightness so much that the holder literally disappears in the scan!!

I wrote him once and asked about how closely his scans matched the coins and he commented that, 'it was sometimes necessary to adjust the contrast in order to bring out the coin's true colors'. I read between the lines.

Thanks,

GSAGUY
  • mbcoinmbcoin Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Never a sure way to know but the high-bidder on this coin has only bid on Bondman’s auctions and the search goes back 30 days. He has won very few so it’s safe to say he is careful in his bidding or just bidding up the item. Lets hope big BOB will give us his interruption of the restocking fees and upgrade upgrade upgrade coins.

Ebay bidding

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file