Home U.S. Coin Forum

How can a Lincoln (1909 S VDB) be MS15?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

Found this in an Ebay auction.

Ray

Comments

• MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    got to love these mint state 15 grades. I seen a couple of these lately

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Wow I didnt know there was a grade ms15 . I guess its going to be the next big collector thing in coins. Here I was trying to get the ms67,68.69.70s I could. Heck if I knew there were ms15 I would have been going for those this whole time.

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has been doing this a lot lately. Perhaps they are going away from the non-numerical descriptions.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • That is really strange. What was PCGS thinking. I thought MS denoted Uncirculated. May be it's an impaired business Strike in Fine Condition.image
  • That doesn't make any sense. I've heard of impaired proofs being PR15, but not MS15. I think (hope) it's a typo.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Ditto. I hope it's a typo.image
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Back in the days when the ANA was developing the modified Sheldon grading system there was some discussion about how actually the numbers were all that were needed and that it would be possible to do away with the adjectives altogether. Some thing like MS-15 would be perfectly fine because it would indicate a business strike coin in (Fine) 15 grade. The concept never gained acceptance though and the adjectives stayed. However I think these we have been seeing are just aquality control problem at PCGS.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the scan isn't so hot. But MS15 seems like a glamorizing of a F-15.

I love those sellers that put F- or VF- to try and highlight the higher grade. HEY BUDDY...there is a grade for F-, it is called VG10 or F15/F18 for the VF- hypsters.

It is all part of the promotion side of coins.

Tyler
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cover of the August 6th Numismatic News has a 1946 War Nickel PCGS graded MS12. The article actually brings up the "error" on the part of PCGS. Not sure that is means much though, as the number tells the story, not the letters in front (unless it is PR vs. MS)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

• << <i>PCGS has been doing this a lot lately. Perhaps they are going away from the non-numerical descriptions. >>

Could be that this is there way of getting more of us to send them back in to be regarded ( sending them more money). If there are 70 grades then you can try to upgrade that f12 to a f13image

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

If you do a certification check in their database it comes up MS-15 also.image
  • Here is a MS08 You can start a set of MS coins

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Let me know if you see a MS01
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    It seems we should ask the question, Have they changed the way they designate grades. For the last week I've been seeing this a lot on all types of coins.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Is there really a grade F-18?
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there really a grade F-18? >>

It's reserved only for Navy and honorably discharged Navy people.
  • Maybe it wasn't a typo, but the new way of doing things at PCGS. PR used for proof. Why not MS for the business strike coins? Proof is not a condition, but a method of manufacture as they say. Well, MS will now denote a method of manufacture for the business strikes. Now we will have to contend with the impaired MS-15 versus the old, F-15. Mint State is a method of manufacture, not a condition!
    Know where I can pick up a genuine 1804 Bust Dollar in the $300 to $350 range?
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    MS means mint state, they should use BS for business strike.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS means mint state, they should use BS for business strike. >>

Bull S*** (Get it? BS image) MS is JUST FINE!!! (it makes it look like Braddick has an UNC set) image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Can we next hope to see an MS15 with an R or RB designation also?
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file