Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Something weird that I can't figure out in the proof JFK registry.

30 Matinicus.....68.02...94%....75%.....63.70
31 Honeycutt...70.28...92%....100%....63.59
32 Ipotad2.......68.98.....94%...88%....63.51

Why is Matinicus ranked higher then Ipotad2? Same percentage complete, Ipotad2 has both a higher weighted GPA and a higher % DCAM. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with the answer. What am I missing?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you thought they wouldn't take it personally when you complained publicly about them putting a fingerprint on your coin.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Well, as long as they don't screw with Ipotad1, I'll be okay.image

Russ, NCNE
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    This is the same company that can't weight the all time morgan collection correctly and you wonder about 32nd place in JFK's. Why are you surprised and why would they care? image
  • Russ,
    To follow my set grading and optionally comparing with others I developed a very simple spreadsheet in Excel with automatic calculation after weight and bonuses (CAM & DCAM).

If you want a copy I'm glad to send to you by e-mail.

For the first time I visit your page, using the link. Congratulations. Looks very interesting.

Edson
  • Russ:
    They have things almost right (some of their numbers are a little off, but they are off by the same amount for both of those two sets). I think I figured out what all the numbers mean (and they aren't really very useful).
    Grade points: this is the weighted average grade of the coins you own.

%DCAM: this is the percentage DCAM, again, only considering the coins in the set. So you have 42 DCAMS out of 48 coins for a total of 88% --- the fact the the set has 51 coins is irrelevant; the fact that most of the DCAMS don't count for anything is irrelevant. This number basically means nothing to the overall set rating.1

Completion: this is unweighted--that is number of coins owned divided by 51. If you took the sum of the weights of the coins owned and divide by the total weight (62), then you find you're at 92% of the total weight and he's at 93.5---you're missing more 2 point coins than he is.

Set rating is total grade points divided by 62. If you add them all up, he has 12 more points than you (again becuase of your missing silvers). I believe the actual rating should be 63.61 for Mitinicus and 63.42 for IPOTAD2

Here is a summary in HTML
    Or the Excel spreadsheet, if you prefer

Pete
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    pythagoras would be proud of you tompkins. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Pete!image Once my '73 gets here, I kick his butt.

Russ, NCNE