Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smiling Lincoln II

I'm really hinging on putting it up on Ebay just to see if anyone would take it. Start the bidding at 1 cents?
Anyone have anything creative in mind? "US Mint produced only one of these for me and my son "Clifford" at 7-11 delivered it to me in the form of pocket change".

or Perhaps This would be better?

"Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning, a charming Good Morning to all! How are all my good friends on ebay this lovely morning? Is it hot out where you are? My oh my, does anyone in the lower forty-eight doubt for even a second that the hottest part of summer is upon us? You could almost imagine that this heat could melt the paint right off of someone's car, couldn't you? I opened the front door yesterday evening and was greeted with a blast of parched, summer air that was simply suffocating. Such is summer by the Lake! Yet, I can tell you that in other parts of our Great Country, it is even hotter than we are here under the heel of Lake Michigan.

I just returned from my little vacation to Branson, Missouri, and believe me, the climate in the Ozarks is something you would have to experience to believe! Their weather has the capability of varying widely from day to day, with temperatures right at 100 that seemed hot enough wilt traffic signs, to lows as far down as the mid-sixties. In fact, there was one morning that seemed downright chilly to me, though it quickly warmed up to a well-toasted 88 degrees by late afternoon. Most of the time, it was well above ninety, yet it felt even hotter. In speaking with some of the native folk, I came to understand that the Ozarks area suffers under highly humid conditions, which is responsible for the oppressive feeling of their summear weather. I was somewhat astonished to learn that the midsecfion of the country, far from any major bodies of water, suffers from such excessive humidity, yet where I live, by one of the Great Lakes, the summers are by no means unbearably humid. Odd, is it not? We tried to stay in the air-conditioning as much as possible, but ended up walking quite a bit. Thankfully, it did shower a couple of times, which helped cool things for a little while.

Branson seems like a quaint little town, simply lovely, and I can highly recommend it to anyone interested in making the trek to the Live Country Music Capital of the United States. Although it still has alot of hillbilly charm, much of it has been built up in recent years, and I don't think I've ever seen so many theaters in one place! There is a wide variety of entertainment available, in addition to music shows. One of my favorite shows was put on by a gentleman who impersonates Red Skelton, whom I can remember seeing on the television many years ago. There is also a Russian comedian whose name I cannot spell, but he was utterly hilarious. One of the jokes he told went something like this: "I just love this country, and I love American food. I especially like Chinese!" I don't know why, but I just think that's hilarious, and so much the truth about America: a land comprised of people with many international backgrounds. Don't you think that much of the strength of our great country is due to the wide variety of people that live here? I do.

I did have an opportunity to watch the Acrobats of China, and I must tell you that it was an amazing show. It is incredible how much balance and precision these athletes show. But I think that my favorite show of all was watching The Shepherd of the Hills in an outdoor theather. The setting was very much like an old village from a century ago, and it is a large production, with at least a hundred actors (it seems) and even live animals. One of my husband Harold's, favorite movies was "The Shepherd of the Hills" because his favorite actor, John Wayne, starred in it, and I remember that he always wanted to see the play live, but we just never did. This trip would have meant so much to him, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. But enough of that!

Many of the old entertainer's names I remember were present everywhere, but I think most folks on ebay are too young to know their names. There was Ronnie Milsap, Glen Campbell, Andy Williams (whom I thought had passed away!), Bobby Vinton, and even a Lawrence Welk show. We passed through Springfield, which is the third largest city in Missouri, but did not have an opportunity to stop at Silver Dollar City, which I understand is a lovely place to visit. We also had an opportunity to stop at Exotic Animal Paradise, which was a bit of a drive, but well worth the effort. It is a park just outside Springfield that you can drive through for the most part, but in which you can also feed animals. We enjoyed most of a very pleasant (but hot!) day there. Anyway, I don't really want to bore anyone with too many details of my vacation, but let's just say it was well worth making the trip down south, and I hope to go back there some day.

Well, I learned from my son, Clifford, that one of the winners in my last round of auctions turned out to be a dishonest bidder! He refused to pay on the items he won from me, and told us a false story about personal problems, and was then revoked from ebay. That was after we even offered him an extra discount out of consideration for how much he had bid! My son was able to do a little research and found out that this gentleman had also refused to pay some of the other sellers he won coins from. Fortunately, Cliff was able to find a couple of folks who were willing to buy the coins, and all worked out for the best. I would like to say Thank You to those kind folks who helped me out. I truly believe that for every bad egg out there, there are probably a hundred solid and upstanding citizens, and that is part of what makes ebay such a great way to buy and sell.

For the first time, I do believe, I have gotten well organized for this round of listings. I am actually going to list these coins in order of face value, starting from the lowest through the highest. That may make it easier for you, if you are looking for something very specific. There are alot of early coins in here, and these are from the same box as many of the coins from the last round. There are only about four large boxes left after this, plus several albums and a few odds and ends. Clifford said he might sell off a couple of the coins he had been keeping, but I'm not sure if he really wants to do that. I did have several requests to list some more gold coins. I may do that at a future date if the price of gold keeps rising, but for now, I am going to list just one more. Next month, I may list off a couple of bags of coins that are just bulk amounts of common (I think) silver coins. I think it was a mistake before when I took similar sacks to a local dealer, because those were full of much older coins, yet I later found out I had received what is called "melt value" for them, which is much lower than collector value.

One thing we did discover was a shipping carton full of proof sets, which we did not realize was part of Harold's collection. This box is huge, and was obviously stored in the basement at our old house for quite a few years, because, to be quite honest with you, it has a somewhat musty odor due to the moisture and mildew on it. There is nothing but proof sets in it, probably about 300 or more all together, from many different years and in original packaging (I think), and I do apologize that these original packages also have a slight basement odor (our old basement was never 100% dry). I have been trying to air these out for several weeks, but it has only helped a little. Please keep this in mind if you decide to bid on them. I plan to sell them off in large lots, since they take up alot of space and are quite heavy.

You know, sometimes it just seems so hard to keep these listings short, so I had better stop writing here. For this round, I will not be able to offer any discounts up front, but will try to do a little something "extra" for those folks who win more than a couple of listings. As always, I insist on paying for the shipping and insurance fees myself, so there will not be any extra charges for that. Oh, and before I forget, I can take a personal check or a money order. I'm sorry I can't take credit cards, but that's just becuase I don't have a Professional business.

I'd just like to add one more thing before I start in with the coins. I had to go on my vacation without my husband, but I know that alot of folks reading this are young husbands or wives who maybe have a family of their own. If that is you, and if you can possibly afford it, please take some time out of your busy summer schedule to share time and experiences with your family. Go on a trip, or take a little vacation out of your state! If nothing else, get in the car and drive across town, and spend some time together just walking around a nice and peaceful little park. I know that young folks are so very busy these days, but looking back over the years, there are times that I wish I could have slowed down my life just a little, and just enjoyed the time I had with my husband and family a little bit more. I am not asking for any sympathy, just that you maybe heed a little of my own life's experience, which is that time really does move quickly, and it is easy to get left behind. Good luck, God Bless You, and may the rest of your summer be Happy and full of Health. And most of all, may God Bless our vast and beautiful nation.

2000 Smiling Lincoln PENNY

This is the only Smiling Lincoln penny that I shall list today, and it sure is a cute one. Harold had quite a large collection of these, and I have sold at least a dozen over the past few months. Despite being printed in 1828, it is in terrific shape and has a nice brown color to it. The picture looks quite sharp as well, and according to the grade that Harold put on there, it is XF. I think you'll like this one if you collect old coins. "

What do you guys think?
-David

Comments

• Options
    dakradakra Posts: 513
    or perhaps I should say something like "my lover harold" and his stud son "clifford"?

-David
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That description makes me want to bid!
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I think you been surfing too much sleazeBay! image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    David, please tell me you Cut & Pasted that, instead of transcribing it word for word! image

-Dan

• Options
    I cut and pasted it... I changed the bottom of it.... Give me a few minutes....
  • Options
    EBAY LISTING
    I couldn't take it anymore! Please also see my reference to my friends...

-David
  • Options
    Barnes & Noble is looking for you I heard.
    Please don't do me this way!!!.
    This might make it on ABC Daytime as a SOAP ...imageimage
    DirtroadRider
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I just couldn't resist........got ya started Dakra........
    imageimage

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's a good one! Maybe you can do a trade with the guy who has the die cracked proof set? Equivalent $140,000 transactions or something?
  • Options
    Thanks for getting me started GaCoinNewbie.... You have made a wise choice, the penny is worth a penny and the coin holder has to be worth a penny as well.

What I really wanted to do was do this description about the weather on Long Island, Have the Title "Husbands Estate", write like I was speaking to each and every one of you! Then state how Cliff would rate the coin AU##....

...I guess I have too much time on my hand waiting for my coins to be graded and waiting for more coins to come in the mail :-)

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file