Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this 3 cent nickel look cleaned to you guys?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
This just doesn't look right to me. What do you experienced guys think?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,
    Is has NOT been cleaned! It has been harshly SCRUBBED!
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    That's what I love about this place. It's hard to make a buying mistake with all the expertise here. Thanks!image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    To tell you the truth, I don't think the picture is good enough to tell if it has been cleaned or not. However, the colors in the picture don't look right to me. I'd hold off for a better one. The 1865 is as common as dirt. I believe my local dealer currently has an ANACS MS64 one if you want me to check it out...
  • Options
    Russ: what are you doing looking at 3 cent nickels anyway? I thought you are a "half" guy like me and a few others!image
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    FlyTooHigh,

Sometimes I buy other stuff that I think is cool just to fill the time between half dollar acquisitions. Bought an 1865 two cent piece the other day, so I thought it would be nice if he had some company.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Also, it is damaged. Look at 9 O'Clock on the rim and the lettering.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It's a really crappy picture and I can't tell for sure but it looks like an XF with corrosion by STATES. It either has wear, weak strike or a bad scan.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is the JPEG compression was set too high and it's causing details to be lost.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    It can't be cleaned. The seller says it has "natural lustrous surfaces".
  • Options
    Hey Russ: Good you are filling in the gaps, so to say. I do that also as I try to pounce on high grade commeratives (when I can steal one). BTW, I got that frosty Kennedy 2 days ago. At the BIN of $28. My first. You talked me into it with your "advertising". I can't wait to see it in person.

Tony
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file