Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

bring back some of the old coin denominations

I think it would be fun to see some new 20 cent pieces, maybe a two cent piece would be nice too. Then there could be $5 coins to make things interesting. How do you think the general public would do accepting these as daily coinage?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    I'm all for a $2 and a $5 coin. Too bad it's only a pipe dream for now.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It never will ,the retailers would all have to get new cash drawers ,no place to put 'em.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Or some totally new denominations.Like ,how about a $29.95 , $39.95,$49.95,and $99.95 coin.image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Yeah, a circulating bi-metal $5 coin would be neat, copper-plated zinc center with titanium ring around it. Make it the size of a quarter but a little thicker.

• Options

<< <i>Or some totally new denominations.Like ,how about a $29.95 , $39.95,$49.95,and $99.95 coin.image >>

LMAO......image What a nut!!!!!!! The Motto would read, "IN HOME SHOPPING WE TRUST" since you can buy 75% of their merchandise for one of the above listed prices. Give me a call cam40 and we'll get a Bill started in Congress. Hey, maybe we can get them to include our initials on the coin??????? imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think it would be neat to have a two cent piece. Maybe the mint could get rid of the one cent piece and make a two cent piece. They could make it the same size as the current cent so there would be no problems with vending machines. (of course this would never happen)
  • Options
    richrich Posts: 364
    I agree with steventheyn , drop the cent and replace it with a 2 cent.
    Use Lincoln's profile on the Obv and a log cabin on Reverse.I think it would have to be a bit larger in size.

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    same size as the current cent but with a reeded edge. maybe
  • Options
    a .75 cent coin
  • Options
    Under the Euro, the Europeans now have a 2-cent and 20-cent coin, although that have no quarter-euro coin. They do have a 1-cent as well. Steventheyn, are there still any vending machines where the size of a 1-cent or 2-cent coin is a problem? I was thinking maybe a gumball machine, but I think they are all quarters now. I can't think of any machines that take pennies. As far as the retailers and the cash drawer, I wonder how the Europeans do it now? They have a 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, 1 Euro and 2 Euro coin, so that's like 8 slots, and I don't recall reading anywhere that commerce ground to a halt after the changover since there weren't enough slots in the cash register drawer.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    How about just spending some of our 2 and 3 cent coins? If I was loaded, it would be fun the get a batch in VF and spend them. Bet you get some strange looks. I spent some circulated Ikes recently and you would have thought they were St. Gaudens.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file