Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A GREAT THREAD FOR MODERN COLLECTORS and us all...

Hey guys,

I thought of something I'm sure someone else has thought of at one time. What do you guys think about sabatoging millions of mint state coins so that the rarity of a high grade specimen is more rare. In other words, buying millions of dollars (hypethetically) of a said coin in circulation, at or slightly above face value and scratch the coins or rub them on sandpaper to mess up the coin a little. I'm not talking about destroying it, just messing it up enough to make it "uncollectible" Is this even legal? And has it ever been done before in history? Let me know what you think. Maybe then I'll start to collect moderns!!!imageimage
THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Hmmmmm - My first gut reaction is that defacing government property somehow comes into the picture... not sure - anyway, ruining coins sucks. There's a hotsy-totsy hotel in San Francisco that takes your change and cleans it for you - really - they give you bright shiny coins in return for your icky ones - they put it in a big drum and slosh it around with who knows what - they've been doing it for decades. I'd say that this has caused enough damage as it is.

Regards,

Frank
  • Options
    I can't stand the thought of defacing coins, modern or not. Could your master plan to inflate coin prices due to artificially creating a scarcity factor really work.......probably if you were alive long enough to deface several hundred Billion coins!!!! Good Luck and let me know when you reach 1 Billion, we'll throw you a party!!!image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing illegal about ruining coins, but it is illegal to spend them afterward.
    There are also severe logistical problems which makes such an endeavor impossible.
    You just can't lay your hand on enough specimens to accomplish your goal unless
    you pay a substantial premium for the coins, which would be prohibitively expensive
    when talking having to buy 200,000,000 coins an average of 5 times each in order
    to get them "all".

But there's a better reason not to do it. If you just leave them alone, time will take
    care of the problem for you. Every three years 90% of circulating issues wear down
    one grade (defined as the amount of wear between unc and AU). Since these are not
    being saved for their silver content then virtually every single coin is wearing out in
    the grinder we know as circulation. Just sit back and relax.

punctuation, spelling
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Then mint is taking care of 99% of that job for us. JMO after 30 SQ bagsimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    This would only work if you had the moderns beforehand. The prices would be too high after your decimation.
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't enough years in a century to even remove one modern date and mintmark in any meaningful way.

Think of how pleased and proud your loved ones would be as all your neighbors, friends and family watched you spend the remainder of your life in some basement room, surrounded by ten of thousands of coins in a mad dash to scratch them all up! LOL image

Tyler

• Options
    You obviously would need a machine to do that by the millions. A person could not ever get around to do that by hand. LOL
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options

<< <i>Then mint is taking care of 99% of that job for us >>

Agreed! Based on so many threads here.image
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowest mintage state quarter, if stacked on top of each other (as in rolls) would only go 420 miles. (remember this is "low" mintage and by mint mark). Anyone want to take the time to do anything about that? My time would be better spent sleeping. Does anyone really realize how many of these coins are minted?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 420 mile high tower of quarters would collapse under it's own weight.
    The lower coins would be flattened beyond recognition and the upper
    ones would be damaged in the fall.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

so, cladking, that's how the mint does it? image
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    Take it from someone who has personally searched thousands of mint sets for high grade coins. Mainly the years from 1971 and newer, there are many examples where the mints packaging machines have done an excellent job of ruining 100% of a certain date/denomination. Here are a few examples(please check your mint sets and let me know if you agree). All of the following have a scuff to some degree: 1984-D quarters, 1980-D half dollars, 1981-D half dollars. In other words, none of these examples from a mint set will ever be found in a grade of 66 or better. All the 66 and better examples of these coins will be found in BU rolls and unfortunately these rolls were not saved in any quantity.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file